In the Dominican Republic, as well as official holidays, there are many cultural holidays. It’s important to know these dates and the long weekends they create, especially when planning vacation time. Dominicans will stay at local resorts for the long weekends, filling up many a hotel. These long weekends are a good time to do the opposite: head from the resort areas to the city for shopping or just enjoying the city without traffic jams.
The long weekends in 2012 are (with Mondays falling on a holiday):
– 6, 7, 8, 9 January: Three Kings Day Long Weekend. Dominicans may take time off from Thursday, 6 January, extending the holidays for a weekend dedicated to the family. This traditionally marks the end of the Christmas holidays.
– 27, 28, 29, 30 January: Duarte Day. Actually celebrated on 26 January, but it is moved to Monday, creating the long weekend.
– 5, 6, 7, 8 April: Dominicans will take off from Thursday, 5 April. This is a peak vacation time for domestic travelers. Good Friday falls on 6 April in 2012.
– 27, 28, 29 30 April: Labor Day is celebrated on Monday, 30 April making for a long weekend.
– 7, 8, 9 June: Thursday, 7 June celebrates Corpus Christi Day, a religious holiday, and many will make it the first summer vacation, converting it into a long weekend.
– 16, 17, 18, 19 August: This marks the Restoration Day holiday and this year a new President will be sworn in. The 16th falls on a Thursday, so for many people Restoration Day will create a very long weekend, especially since this is August, near the end of school vacation period.
– 21, 22, 23, 24 September: Mercedes Day long weekend. Mercedes Day falls on a Monday creating the long weekend.
– 2, 3, 4, 5 November: Constitution Day long weekend.