Getting a visa to Spain

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am interested in any experiences DOMINICAN citizens have had in getting the required visa for vacation travel to Spain. Did you deal directly with embassy? With travel agent? Etc.

Only need information regarding: VISA FOR DOMINICAN CITIZENS. Thanks in advance.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
There is no interview involved. You apply at the VAC for Spain which is called BLS International, located at Unicentro Plaza, the one across from El Nacional Supermarket. To apply, Spain should either be your country of entry or where you´re planning to spend the most time on your trip.

You make an appointment online https://do.blsspainvisa.com/spanish/ and on the date of the appointment you deposit all documents, It is also there that you pay for your visa fees. Now, before you make the appointment you have to fill out a visa form, so you should have all the information available before you start, but you can still bring a new form on the date of your appointment. There are multiple visa fees, depending on the appointment category. You also have the option to go to the center to pick up your passport or have it delivered via a courier service.

I'm Dominican and currently have a two year visa but started with shorter term visas. My first visa was 6 months. My husband´s first visa was only one month. I´ve done applications for relatives, friends, and clients, and what you get is usually in between your travel plans and whatever the consul thinks is appropriate.

You´ll need evidence that you´ll have a place to stay there. If you don´t have an invitation letter, you can solve it by providing a hotel reservation. I used confirmed hotel reservations from travel agencies. You´d also need a plane ticket reservation. It´s only the reservation, not buying the plane ticket.
Let me know if there´s anything else you´d like to know.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You´d also need a plane ticket reservation. It´s only the reservation, not buying the plane ticket.
We've only ever dealt with the German embassy but have a general question regarding the above:

I've never been able to figure out, what is this "reservation" or how you can get this? In our case, I asked this from the embassy, and they very logically clarified that we only need a plan for which flights we want to book (so a printout of the flight schedule), nothing more. That's what we did and it was all fine, but as you use the word "reservation", what is this exactly? I have not been able to figure out how to reserve anything without paying? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Reactions: Fulano2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I too have never heard of a "plane ticket reservation" . Either you book a flight or you don't.

Perhaps what is meant is a fully refundable fare?

Reactions: Fulano2

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
We've only ever dealt with the German embassy but have a general question regarding the above:

I've never been able to figure out, what is this "reservation" or how you can get this? In our case, I asked this from the embassy, and they very logically clarified that we only need a plan for which flights we want to book (so a printout of the flight schedule), nothing more. That's what we did and it was all fine, but as you use the word "reservation", what is this exactly? I have not been able to figure out how to reserve anything without paying? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
I have a friend who has a travel agency. I give her the client´s intended travel dates and passport info and she issues reservations that I print and include with the visa package. I also know people who do their own reservations online,

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
There is no interview involved. You apply at the VAC for Spain which is called BLS International, located at Unicentro Plaza, the one across from El Nacional Supermarket. To apply, Spain should either be your country of entry or where you´re planning to spend the most time on your trip.

You make an appointment online https://do.blsspainvisa.com/spanish/ and on the date of the appointment you deposit all documents, It is also there that you pay for your visa fees. Now, before you make the appointment you have to fill out a visa form, so you should have all the information available before you start, but you can still bring a new form on the date of your appointment. There are multiple visa fees, depending on the appointment category. You also have the option to go to the center to pick up your passport or have it delivered via a courier service.

I'm Dominican and currently have a two year visa but started with shorter term visas. My first visa was 6 months. My husband´s first visa was only one month. I´ve done applications for relatives, friends, and clients, and what you get is usually in between your travel plans and whatever the consul thinks is appropriate.

You´ll need evidence that you´ll have a place to stay there. If you don´t have an invitation letter, you can solve it by providing a hotel reservation. I used confirmed hotel reservations from travel agencies. You´d also need a plane ticket reservation. It´s only the reservation, not buying the plane ticket.
Let me know if there´s anything else you´d like to know.
Ah I forgot to mention, travel insurance, which is mandatory,

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have a friend who has a travel agency. I give her the client´s intended travel dates and passport info and she issues reservations that I print and include with the visa package. I also know people who do their own reservations online,
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I would indeed like to know how exactly is this doable online, I'm sure many people indeed do...

Reactions: windeguy

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I know with American Airlines, and probably most others, you can make your flight arrangements and place them "on hold" for 24 hours before purchasing. Is this what is being referred to as a reservation? Seems to me that a reservation normally means buying the tickets.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I know with American Airlines, and probably most others, you can make your flight arrangements and place them "on hold" for 24 hours before purchasing. Is this what is being referred to as a reservation? Seems to me that a reservation normally means buying the tickets.
Travel agencies book for your visa aplications to europe the aiirline ticket for like 300.00 pesos fee and also sell you the travel health insurance that you need for the application. If you have big bank acct as Dominican will be granted the visa. I applyed last year and was denied. They said I may not return, I could sent a letter telling why I was not agree with their statments for denied me the visa but I choose to book a flight to Brazil where as Dominican they only ask me if I go as tourist or for work. They do not believe that also Dominicans with not big bank account also can save and travel just they do not being rich. I sent all my Expired pasports they they could see how many countries I have visitted, but looks like they do not check it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No.You should never buy a planet ticket if you don´t have a visa.
I have never heard of a way to get a plane ticket reservation versus buying a ticket. But then I don't use travel agents, which seems might be a way I never heard of for a "reservation" I don't actually pay for. Hmmm.

I have no idea how to get a "reservation" on line without buying a ticket. I see the above posts that travel agents do it for a fee and you can get a ticket on hold.. Thanks to those above with those work-arounds to buying a ticket.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I have never heard of a way to get a plane ticket reservation versus buying a ticket. But then I don't use travel agents, which seems might be a way I never heard of for a "reservation" I don't actually pay for. Hmmm.

I have no idea how to get a "reservation" on line without buying a ticket. I see the above posts that travel agents do it for a fee and you can get a ticket on hold.. Thanks to those above with those work-arounds to buying a ticket.
Travel Agencies do it for Visa applications. You only have to tell you need it for your application to Shcengen visa. They charged me 300.00 pesos only.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

All airlines sell refundable tickets, and changeable tickets. They are more expensive than the cheapest tickets. If you are booking on American Airlines for example you get a grid of tickets and there are some that are flexible and allow you to cancel or change dates, for a penalt.

For Spain you may go with Iberia, and it's a good idea to try to get some Avios (the currency for Iberia's frequent flyer programme) and then book flights using Avios. Avios flights on Iberia can be cancelled up to 24 hours before take-off with a penalty of US$ 25 so these tickets are a very good option for people applying for visas. You can join the Iberia Plus programme free online, and then buy the Avios you need. The issue is that if you do cancel, you'll get the Avios refunded to your account, which you'll then need to spend either on other flights with Iberia or American Airlines or on British Airways.

I always book my flights using Avios. I just booked some Santo Domingo SDQ > Miami flights for example for 11,000 Avios + $50. These can be cancelled up until 24 hours before departure, and I'll get everything back apart from US$ 25. 11,000 costs about $100, so basically I'm getting a completely flexible ticket for US$ 150.

Reactions: Big and Lucifer

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009

Please share your experience with the german embassy. I heard that they are extremely friendly and professional but do have a very high rejection rate.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

I've never been able to figure out, what is this "reservation" or how you can get this? In our case, I asked this from the embassy, and they very logically clarified that we only need a plan for which flights we want to book (so a printout of the flight schedule), nothing more. ?
That´s good to know. I've never tried applications from Germany.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
All airlines sell refundable tickets, and changeable tickets. They are more expensive than the cheapest tickets. If you are booking on American Airlines for example you get a grid of tickets and there are some that are flexible and allow you to cancel or change dates, for a penalt.

For Spain you may go with Iberia, and it's a good idea to try to get some Avios (the currency for Iberia's frequent flyer programme) and then book flights using Avios. Avios flights on Iberia can be cancelled up to 24 hours before take-off with a penalty of US$ 25 so these tickets are a very good option for people applying for visas. You can join the Iberia Plus programme free online, and then buy the Avios you need. The issue is that if you do cancel, you'll get the Avios refunded to your account, which you'll then need to spend either on other flights with Iberia or American Airlines or on British Airways.

I always book my flights using Avios. I just booked some Santo Domingo SDQ > Miami flights for example for 11,000 Avios + $50. These can be cancelled up until 24 hours before departure, and I'll get everything back apart from US$ 25. 11,000 costs about $100, so basically I'm getting a completely flexible ticket for US$ 150.
Re: Iberia. In anticipation of the trip and seeing promional offers from my bank I got a Iberia CC thru Banco Lopez.

Reactions: MariaRubia

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Travel Agencies do it for Visa applications. You only have to tell you need it for your application to Shcengen visa. They charged me 300.00 pesos only
Right! You tell them it´s a reservation for consular purposes. Why buy a plane ticket when you can get a reservation for cheap? By the way, 300 pesos ? GIve me your contacts lol

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I would indeed like to know how exactly is this doable online, I'm sure many people indeed do...
Go to onward ticket .com and buy one for 12 USD

Also the Spanish embassy has a fast pass service, cost I remember 12,000 and a friend got visa next day.