bringing a car to DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bulasco or Bullsh!tando ?

this is clearly the craziest thing we have ever discussed.

The car will take almost year to travel for this.....

5-6 months in RD...... 3-4 months in transit

No car at origin for a month or so -- at each end of the trip
and whoknowswhat time waiting on the RD end...

lunacy

Becky - think Polo Ponies - fly it

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Probably one of the worst ideas I have ever read here. Find a rental agency and make a deal with them. For a 4 to 5 month rental you should be able to rent from 700usd per month depending on the car. Even if you book per month and rotate between Budget and National (as an example) you will be way less than your original plan.
To keep it simple just make sure all your insurance coverages are covered by your credit card. This point has been beaten to death on this forum

Just did a quick search on Orbitz. Monthly rentals range from USD 572 (for a compact) to 700 for a midsize. That's from SDQ, which probably has a bunch of fees tacked on.

Can you import a car? Sure. It really is best to look into public transportation for the most part, and maybe rent cars on the weekends. You'll be much safer, and save a bundle.

macorisano

Oct 4, 2013
It's not that expensive, and not really much of a hassle. The permit can also be extended.

Of course, that depends on what your own idea of "expensive" is, and your tolerance for hassle. I met a young lady last week with a Honda Accord with Massachusetts plates.
She's had her car here six months and told me it cost her $850 to get it here. She kinda looked puzzled when I inquired as to all the hoops she had to go through.

She never heard of DR1.

There's a lot more to it than just the shipping costs.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I do not believe the local rental car agencies will accept the insurance card wavers for insurance. Do they?

I am not exactly clear what you mean - but when I rented cars, I always used the insurance under my American Express Card (which cost me $25 for each rental) that was fine- it only covered the liability to the car. Sometimes I took the extra liability s insurance for medical costs for accidents - to passengers and others. But the rental companies always accepted the Amex insurance.

Is that what you meant by insurance waiver?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Had family that rented a car for 30 days. Something like a Hyundai Accent or something. Deal was about $650.00 base price for the 30 days BUT when they tacked on taxes, surcharges, LDW (loss damage waiver insurance, additional liability ins, etc..) it came to about $1950.00. I always recommend when renting a car make sure you are fully covered. Especially here where anything and everything can go wrong.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's not that expensive, and not really much of a hassle. The permit can also be extended.

Of course, that depends on what your own idea of "expensive" is, and your tolerance for hassle. I met a young lady last week with a Honda Accord with Massachusetts plates.
She's had her car here six months and told me it cost her $850 to get it here. She kinda looked puzzled when I inquired as to all the hoops she had to go through.

She never heard of DR1.

Does she plan to abandon her car here when she leaves???????????
Then she will pay,"AT LEAST"$850 TO SHIP IT BACK, PROBABLY more!!!!

Insurance here, collision,fire, theft, and liability?????????????
She has an accident in that car it could cost her thousands of dollars, jail time, an aggrevation.
As I said already,,,...."DON'T DO IT"!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
On a PR plate

anyone with any experience in bringing a car over from Puerto Rico for a short time? Can you get short term insurance here? Can you drive on a Puerto Rican license for 90 days? Casa de Conductor?

All I can say is, that there was a guy in Las Terrenas who drove his car (white Chrysler PT Cruiser) with a PR license plate 'for ages'.
But as you know, laws are different in Saman?... ;)

donP

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I don't think the OP realizes this is a 3rd world Country and things take FOREVER and EVERYTHING is a hassle!!

Plus the fact that it can't be over 5yrs old and you have to be the owner of the car for a period of more than a year.....keep researching, you haven't done enough yet......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Plus the fact that it can't be over 5yrs old and you have to be the owner of the car for a period of more than a year.....keep researching, you haven't done enough yet......

Some people actually have to live, and learn.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Am thinking of bringing my car to DR for the 4-5 months I'm there..any advice or ?

Do you own property in the DR? Do you have residency? If you answered no than bringing your car is totally out of the question. With the new immigration laws you can't legally stay in the DR for more than 30 days. You probably can still pay the overstay tax but bringing your car without residency opens up a whole can of worms for you. Also ,the shipping and duty you would have to pay is prohibitive in making it financially wise to do this. You might as well rent a vehicle when you really need it. Without a residency card, cedula, the DR Gov can now make life difficult for people coming here for an extended period of time without being a legal immigrant.

Jan 9, 2004

Clearing up some misconceptions.

Only passenger vehicles being imported for commercial sale or permanent use by the person importing need adhere to the 5 year rule. Bringing your car over from Puerto Rico on the ferry to drive and then return, as allowed by law, is not the same.

Additionally, you do not need to own the vehicle for a period of more than one year before you can either bring it over on the ferry for personal use and return, or whether you are importing it directly.

Owning the vehicle for a period of time before importation is only a pre-requisite for people bringing a vehicle using the tax reduction in the residency law or for a returning Dominican.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
Put it this way... The Dominican Republic's main purpose of the ports are to take advantage of foreigners. First, you have to pay between $1,000-$2,000 for shipping. Be ready to pay between $5,000-$7,000 upon arrival at the port. If not, your car will be held and you will be charged 100/wk for storage fees from the port AND $75/wk from Aduanas (this includes holidays and days where the people just don't feel like doing anything.) You'll end up paying between $8,000 and $10,000 by the time you get your car, which will more than likely be 2 weeks after you need it...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Put it this way... The Dominican Republic's main purpose of the ports are to take advantage of foreigners. First, you have to pay between $1,000-$2,000 for shipping. Be ready to pay between $5,000-$7,000 upon arrival at the port. If not, your car will be held and you will be charged 100/wk for storage fees from the port AND $75/wk from Aduanas (this includes holidays and days where the people just don't feel like doing anything.) You'll end up paying between $8,000 and $10,000 by the time you get your car, which will more than likely be 2 weeks after you need it...

It's the same for foreigners as it is for locals. Foreigners do not get "special" treatment.

Our friend here has a bad taste in the mouth, JD....

everything at the dock is geared to hinder & hurt the importer.

It just ain't true........... see AE's post in the container thread about how easy it is to bring in a car

here it is....
I agree with WW. When we shipped our car, we had our agent in SD already. As soon as the car left NJ, she had all the paperwork via e-mail, and she did everything from that point on. The day the process was over, it was late in the day and we weren't sure we'd make it to pick up the car before they closed. One phone call and she had a guy pick up the car [next to the naval base in SD, not sure the name] and meet us at the big Texaco station about a mile away. Smooth as silk.