foreign couple killed in cabrera

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
take a look at all the threads in this forum which are started by people who want to move here to live. half of them are from people who came here on a 2 week vacation, fell in love with the CULTURE, and can?t wait to get back to Schenectady to sell the McMansion and move here. they are just in love with the smiles and handshakes and my frens, they just cannot visualize life any other way. so, as soon as they are back, they start making friends. every time you see Bobby from Moosejaw, Fausto can?t be far behind. soon or later, our intrepid culture lover is on the front page of Detras del Rumor. he is dead from 88 stab wounds, and the keystone cops declare it a suicide.

people just have to wise up before they make a fool of themselves, and worse.

Oct 28, 2011
Too giving and trusting?

just wondering...did they have dog or dogs...did they have a security system or weapons. Was there any sign or self defense. It sounds like there was not...the suicide mention is odd given the multiple stabbings on both victims...where did that theory come from. Does anyone know why they moved from Las Terranos to Cabrera. I know you have to be careful about trusting locals, but there ought to be able to be a way to determine who you can trust. Having local friends does help. Were they known to perhaps be lax in their guard, hang out I local bars and drink? Or was it a simple robbery. But what about the grisly factor. As someone who will be living in Encuantro without traditional security, I.e., no walls, guards, etc. just trying to figure these things out so that I am not a victim.

We met this couple 4-5 yrs. ago in las Terrenas before they decided to move to Cabrera. Audrey was a sushi expert and word got around. She invited us to stay in her house in Cabrera while Bob was having medical issues in Florida and we spent a couple of days there. We noticed they had a lot of "amigos" roaming around and eating there We did not feel comfortable in that environment and left.
A couple of mths ago I saw her FB page and she seemed happy, maybe she was too trusting...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
take a look at all the threads in this forum which are started by people who want to move here to live. half of them are from people who came here on a 2 week vacation, fell in love with the CULTURE, and can?t wait to get back to Schenectady to sell the McMansion and move here. they are just in love with the smiles and handshakes and my frens, they just cannot visualize life any other way. so, as soon as they are back, they start making friends. every time you see Bobby from Moosejaw, Fausto can?t be far behind. soon or later, our intrepid culture lover is on the front page of Detras del Rumor. he is dead from 88 stab wounds, and the keystone cops declare it a suicide.

Fausto didn;t do it he is a friend of mine!

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

People forget that their 'paradise' is not paradise for Fausto and Yubelkis. Fausta has 12 halfbrothers and 20 halfsisters. same is for Yubelkis. Fausto has his moto and wants to go to America or be the man in his pueblo. and he wants more novias but he must pay for their salon visits and they want an apartment so Fausto needs money. Yubelkis lives in a shag and from an young age knows how she can get things done with her body. but you really think she is happy with old Billy Bob from Kansas who loves his paradise? She is in love with Fausto and she wants to go to America! Poor Billy Bob.. Fausta was his fren who introduced him to Yubelkis and Yubelkis was a young hot girl in love with him...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
People forget that their 'paradise' is not paradise for Fausto and Yubelkis. Fausta has 12 halfbrothers and 20 halfsisters. same is for Yubelkis. Fausto has his moto and wants to go to America or be the man in his pueblo. and he wants more novias but he must pay for their salon visits and they want an apartment so Fausto needs money. Yubelkis lives in a shag and from an young age knows how she can get things done with her body. but you really think she is happy with old Billy Bob from Kansas who loves his paradise? She is in love with Fausto and she wants to go to America! Poor Billy Bob.. Fausta was his fren who introduced him to Yubelkis and Yubelkis was a young hot girl in love with him...

what you just wrote should be a primer for everyone who wants to move here because they love the Culture. they don?t even know it..have never met it.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The heart of this culture is very nast and heart less.

Hemingway wanted to find out why the Spanish had a death wish. I wonder if he ever did ? So i guess that may apply to whoever moves to paridise. Unfortuniately many here find death not the answer !

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
what you just wrote should be a primer for everyone who wants to move here because they love the Culture. they don?t even know it..have never met it.

Indeed. Another sad story of paradise lost.
Its a shame when these kinds of incidents happen to gringo(a)s down here. Not jumping to conclusions but they were
probably targeted by someone they knew.

I?ll take my chances with petty street crime in the barrio any day of the week before trying to establish myself in one
of these safe secure apartment/ condos/ compounds because every single time I read about this type of crime, the
outcome and motive is usually the same.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Indeed. Another sad story of paradise lost.
Its a shame when these kinds of incidents happen to gringo(a)s down here. Not jumping to conclusions but they were
probably targeted by someone they knew.

I?ll take my chances with petty street crime in the barrio any day of the week before trying to establish myself in one
of these safe secure apartment/ condos/ compounds because every single time I read about this type of crime, the
outcome and motive is usually the same.

This is paradoxically true. Maintaining a distance but not being totally isolated from your environment is probably the best path to tread.
I could not live in the barrio nor in a gated community but as far as risk to life goes, you're probably less at risk in the barrio for sure..

Street crime is everywhere but violent crime is a different animal that needs good pickings...

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Good luck tercermundistas !!

Life is good safe cheap and almost as warm here in North florida

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
a lot of problems which befall gringos are caused by the mindsets they bring here with them. they come from gentler societies, in which people who purport to be their friends might gossip about them behind their backs, but never seek to harm them. so, they meet some mook in the supermarket, and in a week they are bosom buddies. gringo has this individual in his or her home, lends him or her money, and goes carousing with him at all odd hours. next thing you know is that there is a tragic news release.

i have lived in POP for over 15 years. apart from my Jamaican friends, i don?t believe more than 5 people know where i live

I agree with some of what you say. Some people get too trusty too fast. Not just expats. Even tourists who come just for a week. I have seen people who arrive one day into an all-inclusive, and quickly decide to go outside the relative safety of the hotel in the company of a hotel employee they met just a few days earlier. And believe it or not, they may even leave the comforts and safety of the A.I. to see a "beach boy" who doesn't even work at the hotel (or anywhere). Most come back to their hotel unharmed. But if they don't they cannot escape a significant share of the blame for their bad experience.

All that said, the tenor of your post subtly implies that the victims were attacked by locals.

Fact is, they may have fallen victims to other expats. Why not? They may have fallen victims to Haitians. In fact they may have been victimized by a family member (yes, people do kill their own family members sometimes, even their own parents).

We just don't know, and should avoid jumping to conclusions.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I think everyone will agree with the truisms you have stated, and may I add the sky is blue. The real question is, is this endemic to the society, or are people cherry picking incidents to reach their own pre-conceived biases..
Crime needs to be viewed in statistical terms. Fact is, crime happens all over, including the places where expats come from.

And you can find reports of extremely gruesome crimes committed in most places.

But of course, one may be much more likely to be seriously injured or killed by a criminal in certain places than in others.

Is there any evidence that the DR is one of the most dangerous locations on earth?

Not really.

For example, the list of the top 50 cities by murder rate does not include a single Dominican city (it is led by a Honduran city, and includes many Brazilian, and multiple Venezuelan, Mexican and USA cities, among others).

Of course, a specific place in the listed cities/countries may be "safer" than a specific place in the DR. The opposite may also be true.

Anyhow, in terms of the probability of being murdered, it does not appear that the DR is one of the most dangerous places on earth, or close to it.

Which is no license to abandoning common sense, and taking unreasonable risks with people of any nationality.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with some of what you say. Some people get too trusty too fast. Not just expats. Even tourists who come just for a week. I have seen people who arrive one day into an all-inclusive, and quickly decide to go outside the relative safety of the hotel in the company of a hotel employee they met just a few days earlier. And believe it or not, they may even leave the comforts and safety of the A.I. to see a "beach boy" who doesn't even work at the hotel (or anywhere). Most come back to their hotel unharmed. But if they don't they cannot escape a significant share of the blame for their bad experience.

All that said, the tenor of your post subtly implies that the victims were attacked by locals.

Fact is, they may have fallen victims to other expats. Why not? They may have fallen victims to Haitians. In fact they may have been victimized by a family member (yes, people do kill their own family members sometimes, even their own parents).

We just don't know, and should avoid jumping to conclusions.

because i describe a condition which occasionally eventuates disaster does not mean i have concluded anything in this case. there is no necessary connection, so it is you who jumped to a conclusion.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
you can't go by city's , you have to go by per capita .
The murder RATE is calculated per-capita.

They do it by city, because within a given country the PER-CAPITA murder rate varies a lot.
Obviously in many small towns in the middle-of-nowhere in the USA (and other countries) the murder rate is tiny, which may drag down the rate for the entire country. But that is irrelevant to people living in certain big cities. Country-wide rates are irrelevant to most people.

Anyhow, the fact is that not a single Dominican city is among the top-50 by murder rate. By comparison, Honduras -- smaller than the DR by population -- has #1 and #5, while Jamaica -- even smaller by pop -- has #26, and Guatemala (only about 50% larger than the DR by pop) has #25. Obviously, population or physical size is not the issue. Besides, several countries have many cities in the list each, including Brazil with 19 in the top 50!. The US, from where many expats come into the DR, has 4 in the top 40.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
because i describe a condition which occasionally eventuates disaster does not mean i have concluded anything in this case. there is no necessary connection, so it is you who jumped to a conclusion.
The emphasis in your post was placed on people who trust LOCALS too fast. In fact, you indicated that you mostly get close to other Jamaicans, implying that it was safer to do so, although people may also fall prey to people from their own countries. You could have also mentioned that some expats may trust other expats too quickly. In the context, it is reasonable to conclude that you (and others) have assumed that the criminals in this cases are locals. That may eventually be proven to be the case, but for now we have no idea.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The emphasis in your post was placed on people who trust LOCALS too fast. In fact, you indicated that you mostly get close to other Jamaicans, implying that it was safer to do so, although people may also fall prey to people from their own countries. You could have also mentioned that some expats may trust other expats too quickly. In the context, it is reasonable to conclude that you (and others) have assumed that the criminals in this cases are locals. That may eventually be proven to be the case, but for now we have no idea.

you might have interpreted me incorrectly, but in the way i expressed my thoughts i can see why.

let me make a few things clear to you. in all the years i have been here, or actually lived here, the foulest acts i have encountered, personally, have been done to me by foreigners. Dominicans have done the odd silly thing, but there are some foreigners who have calculatedly done great harm to me here, and i am one of the people who hold to the belief that many of the people that we see walking around and looking like upright citizens are just doing so because Interpol is still a step or two behind them. it is no secret that there are some vicious Dominican guys rolling around out there , who have done some evil acts to both locals, and foreigners. however, there are occasions upon which we read of foreigner death at the hands of locals and we do not know what went on behind it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sunny skies and shady characters comes to mind... huh?

I have had dinner at this couple's house.

As mentioned earlier, she was a sushi expert.
One year they rented a venue for an 'extravaganza'... the next year , they held it at home.

He mentioned something about going in to the fish business.

That's all I know...........