North Coast Upgrade

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Have they not done this dance for at least 15 years...Trying to clean up sosua then back to prozzies it goes. I really don't see much happening.

More than 15 years. I was in Sosua in 2002 and was told they'd had a big government crackdown on prostitution the year before. It wasn't doing RE any good because the bottom had dropped out due to drastic fall off in air travel after 9-11. I've heard rumors some pay for play might have returned since then.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know where to put this.... or even know where to sart.

So many threads ---
Clean up Sosua
Rumor of New Road
Luxury Hotels entering the market

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

If it smells like fish......

The Sosua cleanup speaks for itself....
something's going on.

ju10 has confirmed the road rumor
I keep hearing it too.

Luxury hotels are here.... no denying it.

I falsely predicted a bust for the new Aman Hotel at Playa Grande.... Amanera is its name
Wrongo.....
That location is the most successful opening that any Aman Hotel in the world has ever had.

GO FIGURE

My interpretation is -
Great architecture --- stunning
View is incomparable

More critical is access....
so easy from NYC, etc.

I throw these ideas out because of the one extreme success I point out.

The other North Coast upper ends may not have fared as well.

But there are enough of them entering the market and trying that the gov't is aware.

None of these appear without the knowledge and even the blessing of the Ministry of Tourism.
Danilo appeared at least twice to open the Playa Grande site,,,,, others too, I'm sure

It may not be a pipe dream...... it may actually continue and flourish.

Keep that No Coast property value thread going.....
and call me when you ahve a buyer for my house !!!

Unlike many - I am going bigger & better when I sell.

William, kudos to you for Hyperbole and Hypothesis. But alas, I believe it ends there, unless you have facts you are not unveiling?

Perhaps I do........

Listen to the tom - toms...... the beat of the jungle

Notice all the new pavement on Rte #5 ?

The 'Police Assist" cars

I hope I haven't misstated any facts in my original posts.

You need to lift the veil, Guillermo

Given that tourism is RD's biggest revenue producer,
How long will they let the NoCoast lie fallow??

Did they do a bad job in Punta Cana....... ???
Busiest airport in the country

Drum roll please ----
Ta-Da.....

Read the news today.......

you heard it here first........

That thread actually belongs here

It was the genesis for this thread

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
As has previously been posted, Club Aldiana are coming to Cabarete with the refurbishment of the former Sol de Plata resort which is now underway and about to swing into top gear.

For those that follow the travel industry major news this week is that Club Aldiana will be part of the Thomas Cook portfolio who have taken a 42% share in that hotel chain.

http://www.cityam.com/272703/thomas-cook-set-up-hotel-investment-platform-swiss-based

http://www.insider.co.uk/news/thomas-cook-reports-bookings-up-11237321

This upcoming resort will become will become a major attraction on the North Coast and part of the portfolio of a growing worldwide recognised hospitality brand.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What I see (hopefully) is stronger owners -
Stronger financially and more experience.
Not 'quick buck' experts.

Perhaps they'll be in it for the long haul.

That would be a plus for not just the Sosua area but the DR generally.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
As has previously been posted, Club Aldiana are coming to Cabarete with the refurbishment of the former Sol de Plata resort which is now underway and about to swing into top gear.

For those that follow the travel industry major news this week is that Club Aldiana will be part of the Thomas Cook portfolio who have taken a 42% share in that hotel chain.

http://www.cityam.com/272703/thomas-cook-set-up-hotel-investment-platform-swiss-based

http://www.insider.co.uk/news/thomas-cook-reports-bookings-up-11237321

This upcoming resort will become will become a major attraction on the North Coast and part of the portfolio of a growing worldwide recognised hospitality brand.

Very interesting.  I wonder if we will see the return of Thomas Cook Airlines to POP.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Very interesting.  I wonder if we will see the return of Thomas Cook Airlines to POP.

That would make sense if they plan to bring in clients to their new resort. If I were a betting man, I would bet on it. :smoke:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One, two, new resort enter.
One, two, old resort goodbye.
What changes?

The old dilapidated resorts were getting little business and nobody was pushing them.

The "new" resorts have sponsors with sales, marketing, airplanes, and local partners on the islands. That is what changes. Why does Punta Cana do well while the north coast has suffered?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

or any other european connection. now air berlin went under and scrapped their caribbean connections - including flights to DR - the only remaining option is condor, i think? if they want the germans to come they need to bring either charters or scheduled flights from frankfurt, dusseldorf and/or berlin.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
or any other european connection. now air berlin went under and scrapped their caribbean connections - including flights to DR - the only remaining option is condor, i think? if they want the germans to come they need to bring either charters or scheduled flights from frankfurt, dusseldorf and/or berlin.

I'm currently in the UK, having flown yesterday from POP via Koln (Cologne) Germany with Eurowings.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Condor were supposed to be reducing their flights into POP, we may see that change now.

Eurowings are set to continue their twice weekly flight fro CGN to POP

And a new operator AzurAir start DUS-POP-DUS in November.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thomson (part of TUI now) fly to POP from LGW, but they have restriction on 3 weeks maximum duration and no one way flight (return) etc. , not like Condor and Eurowings. I bet if Thomas Cook fly to POP it will be the same just to serve their weekly tourists...