Golf Carts Confiscated in Sosua

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Getting a golf cart back that can no longer be used on the streets after spending the time and paying the fine is hardly what I would call having it all work out.

I understand there a quite a few useless golf carts now just in Sosua alone.

Thats if they continue to enforce the law. I remember they made tinting windows illegal, I got fined once after the law came out...never again in 15 years. They made LED light bars illegal and a few days later AMET stopped me and wanted to weld it off my jeep right then and there, had to pay someone off to stop that....never again got stopped for it.....

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thats if they continue to enforce the law. I remember they made tinting windows illegal, I got fined once after the law came out...never again in 15 years. They made LED light bars illegal and a few days later AMET stopped me and wanted to weld it off my jeep right then and there, had to pay someone off to stop that....never again got stopped for it.....

That's a pity. The bane of a night-driver's life.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Getting a golf cart back that can no longer be used on the streets after spending the time and paying the fine is hardly what I would call having it all work out.

I understand there a quite a few useless golf carts now just in Sosua alone.

Of course it has all worked out. They now sell the golf carts back to the golf courses they originally came from, but for a profit. Those within the expatriate community are finally learning and adapting to the RD business module.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

There’s a government letter stating tinting is legal and no charges to be laid... people where keeping copy of letter to show AMET ,in case they troubled people...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Rolout Post 85 . Windeguy Post 86 - you ASS - U - ME - they were ELECTRIC !!! Most are petrol and noisy !!!

Olly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rolout Post 85 . Windeguy Post 86 - you ASS - U - ME - they were ELECTRIC !!! Most are petrol and noisy !!!

Olly

My mistake on that. I had no idea there were gasoline models. Never been a golfer.

What are people going to do with their new lawn ornaments now that they cannot be driven on public roads?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My mistake on that. I had no idea there were gasoline models. Never been a golfer.

What are people going to do with their new lawn ornaments now that they cannot be driven on public roads?

I would wait for things to go back to normal. Seems to happen a lot.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
@Wrx2005, thanks for reporting the outcome and starting the thread.............

NOW you KNOW Golf Carts are illegal on the streets.............. just a joke, just a joke, just a joke.....:)

For the next two weeks. You forgot to add that.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Looks like this one is more permanent..

Infinity Blu has for years been providing golf carts to it's clients.  A friend who is staying at infinity since January 8 commented.

"Meanwhile, the “golf carts” are back on the streets.  Apparently, it was just a short term thing, at least for those who actually had insurance.  Our place, Infinity Blu, now has little insurance cards attached to the vehicles and on the key chains carried by the cart’s drivers, which have been approved by the police.  We drove one today to Playero to get a few things and had no problems."    

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Infinity Blu has for years been providing golf carts to it's clients.  A friend who is staying at infinity since January 8 commented.

"Meanwhile, the “golf carts” are back on the streets.  Apparently, it was just a short term thing, at least for those who actually had insurance.     

"Truth is stranger than fiction"

And

"Don't say I didn't tell you so"

LOL

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They're back. Looks like all the i's got dotted and t's got crossed.

Interesting and certainly not what I expected.

Does anyone know the process to make a golf cart street legal?

Does the driver need a valid driving license?

Are they allowed on the main highway?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Interesting and certainly not what I expected.

Does anyone know the process to make a golf cart street legal?

Does the driver need a valid driving license?

Are they allowed on the main highway?

The cost is 7500 pesos for a license. The license is a piece of paper with several rules that you must follow. I have not seen the paper, but from what I understand is that there is no more night driving, no rentals, no putas as passengers. Maybe somebody who has bought one can chime in and post the rules. AMET is in charge of enforcing.

All in all, this is great news for everybody. 7500 pesos is cheap and finally the city woke up and decided that they can make money by allowing the carts back on the road.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Glad to see they will be back.. .Its just not fair to the retired older guys .. Like the Gent " Liam ?" who is seen all around town , with his Dog on the back. Wherever he goes the dog is always his Passenger ... Part of the Charm of Sosua and would be a shame if they tear those things away from people . Not everyone can drive a car , or moto.. Golf carts are perfect for that town , and most definitely have a Place .

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I agree, a golf cart fitted for street use, with headlights, brake lights, a horn and mirrors should be accommodated on the local streets of Sosua and elsewhere. I'm not in favor of them being on highway 5 in between municipalities as they travel far too slow for the traffic flow. Like other vehicles they should be insured and driven by those old enough to operate them responsibly.