10 Things to Do in 24hrs?

Aug 6, 2006
This book does NOT tell you that travel in the Dominican if you are an American is dangerous and difficult. Most Americans will just be going to the Dominican for a resort and guided excursions. It would not be appropriate for them to be wandering on their own through the Dominican Republic. I am glad I figured out it was best to stay on the resort after I got into Punta Cana and La Romana before this book got me into trouble!
===========================================================================

I have been visiting the DR since 1978 and have taken guaguas all over the country and back in the early 80's pickup trucks. I have never had any experiences that were dangerous other than a ride in a pickup from Sosua to Las Terrenas, in which the driver stopped every five minutes to put in brake fluid. I think the master cylinder was leaking. I bailed before he started up the hill around Sanchez. Of course, I know Spanish and something about the culture.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Where and what is Plaza Espa?a? People watching is a great activity. I need other venues besides El Conde . . . Hmm, perhaps this at the park at the terminal point of El Conde?

If it is, I'm very familiar with that, except for its name. Can you recommend a couple of other places for people watching, places where I might have a coffee and cigar??

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Always crowded. Many choices; plato del dia with many selections; sandwich deli; wide selection of postres, coffee; menu for entrees. Also, this part of Independencia is nice for a walk as it is lined with shade trees. If you want to go to El Conde from here, just grab a guagua for RD 25. This part of Independencia is one-way. Also, if you need a good pharmacy, you will find Carrol pharmacies here as there are many medical clinics.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A lot of the places mentioned are long gone as the thread is 13 years old.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The Doll House. Quality, superiority.

That place went years ago. I used to love having dinner in La Parrillada restaurant next door and you saw all these old ugly guys accompanied for dinner with women who were about a quarter of their age. And those ladies knew how to tuck in, they ordered massive plates of food and always tottered off after on their 6 inch heels with a doggy bag to feed the kids. Those were the days.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
That place went years ago. I used to love having dinner in La Parrillada restaurant next door and you saw all these old ugly guys accompanied for dinner with women who were about a quarter of their age. And those ladies knew how to tuck in, they ordered massive plates of food and always tottered off after on their 6 inch heels with a doggy bag to feed the kids. Those were the days.
I'm only 51 but i do like em young!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Anybody who equates The Doll House with equality and superiority clearly never visited the place. Calling it a dump is putting it nicely.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
  • Wow
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI