On the road with AZB (Unofficial Dr1 news reporter)

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I just assume they are all very religious and are wanting to get to the "hereinafter" asap, hence they drive like total idiots. Granted, most collisions are low speed with little damage, those are the ones in training for greater things.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Come on now!!!!!!

Sorry for long post but the driving is a pet peeve. How can anyone seriously believe that driving in the DR is safer than the "real world"???? The number of bad habits here is endless, just a few, drunks, no lights, speed, passing on blind corners, machisimo attitude, junk autos, little driving experience, talking on cells, blaring music, cars jammed with people and blaring music, people riding in the back of trucks unrestrained, complete disregard for safety belts unless its to shut off the buzzer which they cannot hear over the blaring music, disregard stoplights, disregard stop signs, lack of traffic enforcement, disregard any and all rules of highway safety and lastly there seems to be a complete disregard for the value of human life. In fact I have a plan to "save" the DR in this regard.
Hire lots more honest Amets, give them radar guns and start enforcing all the traffic laws with fines. The people with cars and motos can pay them. Then we take the money and fix the education system. While fixing the schools we teach English. Result in a few years, educated populace who speaks English results in tremendous increase in English speaking tourists who come here and spend lots of money. There are 310 million Americans just a hop, skip, and a jump away (not to mention the Canadians, Ay), who would love to come to an English speaking tropical Caribbean Island. All JMHO. Only sad part here is that we could turn this place into the US and who wants that? Would be nice to fix the schools though.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sorry for long post but the driving is a pet peeve. How can anyone seriously believe that driving in the DR is safer than the "real world"???? .

Maybe because we live here???

Fact is, here in the DR people drive much, much slower than in the States, which give enough time to stop or react. When I go back to Orlando, I'm alaways amazed to see packs of cars flying at more than 90 bumber to bumper on I-4, or doing 70 in a 45 zone. When there is a fender bender here it is just that, in the States it's ugly to say the least.

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
All the more reason not to drive

I realize that for some of you, a car is essential, but for those of you where there is is an option, I wonder if the risk outweighs the advantages. Since a gringo ALWAYS loses in an accident no matter the circumstances, I have decided never to drive if I can find another mode of transportation. That is the reason that I always choose to stay in towns where all of the amenities are within walking distance. And when I need to go farther, I hire a cab or go by bus. By the way the bus system in the DR seems to be quite good and reliable, for the most part. I wonder if other people also look for ways to avoid driving given the risks. And of course, I realize that this post excludes those of you who have invested in properties in the campo.

Ron

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I wonder if other people also look for ways to avoid driving given the risks.

While driving in the DR is considered "high risk" (esp for those less experienced), I think the risk is no less being a passenger in a private or public vehicle there, or a pedestrian for that matter.'

Now obviously, one has to weigh up the risk-benefit ratio.;)

Mar 2, 2008
"Maybe because we live here???"
Chip

Ahh, the most over-used and illogical argument on DR1. Many posters live here, including Alanindr and myself, and not all of us believe that the driving here is as benign as Chip imagines. In my opinion, and in general, the roads are inferior, the cars are inferior, and the majority of the drivers are inferior to those in the US,

I can not quote the statistics, primarily because there are no accurate statistics on the accident rate in the DR. When accidents occur here, they often go unreported, misreported, or 'off the record'.

Without the benefit of statistics, and based only on personal experience, I think it is fair to say that, for many of us who live here, driving is a risky activity in the DR, and, even in the best driving conditions, it is rarely, if ever, an enjoyable experience.

May 12, 2005
I just wanted to add 1 thing. I have been driving in DR for the last 3 years and without a doubt it has made me a better driver overall. I think that it hones your driving reflexes and skills out of necessity.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Went to see free game at the cibao arena. Puerto rico vs Dominican republic. DR kicked butt.
The tickets were cheap but when we walked in, no body even bothered to check if we had tickets or not? They just made room and let us walk in for free. hahahahaha.
I say, walk in like you own the place and no one comes to question you. hahaha. only in DR.

2zh31xc.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a perfect place to get electrocuted. Runny water with live electric wires going through crushed plastic pipes. This is in a gasoline station. I washed my hands, laughed and walked away. what a country.

1182985.jpg

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
errrr you dont call hitting a kid and a police office accidents,!

Not an accident if it was intentional! haha. About walking in like you own the place - works elsewhere too, I've gone into hockey games and concerts, clubs here in Canada that way - it won't work everytime, but it can.

As for DR making you a better driver, I'm convinced, you have to be concious of every little detail, become a very defensive driver - not sure how this works out for your brakes and clutch though. I'm convinced that driving in the DR will lead to a mutation in the human being, having eyes on the back and sides of the head - it would be pretty helpful.

btw, anyone else convinced that the "jersey jerk" was most probably started by a dominicans in jersey????

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
Well sometimes the foreigner is a Dominican!

I realize that for some of you, a car is essential, but for those of you where there is is an option, I wonder if the risk outweighs the advantages. Since a gringo ALWAYS loses in an accident no matter the circumstances, I have decided never to drive if I can find another mode of transportation. That is the reason that I always choose to stay in towns where all of the amenities are within walking distance. And when I need to go farther, I hire a cab or go by bus. By the way the bus system in the DR seems to be quite good and reliable, for the most part. I wonder if other people also look for ways to avoid driving given the risks. And of course, I realize that this post excludes those of you who have invested in properties in the campo.

Ron

Ron,

Well I was once in an accident in SD where the driver of the car I was in was American, and the car that hit us had a driver who was Dominican York, and just here on vacation. He was driving like an American, while the American was driving like a Dominican. Guess who got blamed--the Dominican! And that was even though the American turned left and then stopped in front of the Dominican. He should have been more careful.

Like you, I prefer not to drive here. It just complicates life, and is expensive as well. I don't want to be the one who hits and kills a motorcyclist, even if it is his fault. I don't want to have to deal with the paperwork of stickers and tags and titles and whatever else, or the Amet. But if you have a family, it's a different story, because paying a fare for several people quickly adds up. I try not to sit in the front seat of a publico when I can see where a previous rider has cracked the windshield with his head!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is just amazing, the initial post / picture was put to have a laughter. Now I see people have made a congressional hearing out of this little thread. take it easy guys, life is very simple here. The people who are not cut out for this island are actually telling you from their own mouths. They are way too afraid to drive here, in a place where driving is actually made simple. Don't know what the big deal is but seems like some people are afraid to even step out of their homes in DR. These are the same folks who get screwed by the electric company, get robbed anywhere example: restaurant, airport customs, police even by their barrio girlfriends.
Lets not brag about how civilized you are to even attempt to drive here. Just see my pictures and enjoy the moments. No need to over-analyze every bit you see here.
Funny I am more afraid of breaking down on the road than the thought of getting into an accident. When that happens, I will deal with it. My sister in atlanta got hit by a drunk driver and is now unable to walk. I bet if she had DR driving experience, she would have been better prepared for that situation in atlanta.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
This is just amazing, the initial post / picture was put to have a laughter. .......
AZB
I had to give up driving in the D.R. for two (2) days last week.
(My horn was broken)

SantiagosantiagO

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
This is just amazing, the initial post / picture was put to have a laughter. Now I see people have made a congressional hearing out of this little thread. take it easy guys, life is very simple here. The people who are not cut out for this island are actually telling you from their own mouths. They are way too afraid to drive here, in a place where driving is actually made simple. Don't know what the big deal is but seems like some people are afraid to even step out of their homes in DR. These are the same folks who get screwed by the electric company, get robbed anywhere example: restaurant, airport customs, police even by their barrio girlfriends.
Lets not brag about how civilized you are to even attempt to drive here. Just see my pictures and enjoy the moments. No need to over-analyze every bit you see here.
Funny I am more afraid of breaking down on the road than the thought of getting into an accident. When that happens, I will deal with it. My sister in atlanta got hit by a drunk driver and is now unable to walk. I bet if she had DR driving experience, she would have been better prepared for that situation in atlanta.
AZB

Wait a second- you are the same person who also tried to compare Santo Domingo to some of the top capitals of Europe, now a few people make some observations of the hectic traffic, and you become defensive? Please, cut your dosage of Prozac and join the rest of us in reality!!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Wait a second- you are the same person who also tried to compare Santo Domingo to some of the top capitals of Europe, now a few people make some observations of the hectic traffic, and you become defensive? Please, cut your dosage of Prozac and join the rest of us in reality!!!!!

its not that, people just making it sound like we are driving in baghdad streets. Its not really like that at all. By the way, would you like me to name a few european cities where you would have your car radio stolen in 1 hour?
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
its not that, people just making it sound like we are driving in baghdad streets. Its not really like that at all. By the way, would you like me to name a few european cities where you would have your car radio stolen in 1 hour?
AZB
Forget the radio!

Want to drive a Dominican driver crazy?

Steal his car horn!

SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AZB has a good point. I remember my stay in Paris vividly for the way the Frenchies lined their cars up at the Arc de Triomphe heading down the Champes Elysees. As soon as the light turned green puffs of smoke and the screeching of tires and engines can be heard and seen as the cars jockey for the front position of a 5 or so lane avenue. I noticed there was nary a car without a handful of dings and every curb has a car next to it, even around the intersections. In Italy it was worst, they all thought they were F1 race car drivers. I even had some dude pass me on my Honda super bike on his little scooter on the coastal highway!

Then, in Germany you are going 130 on the autobahn and you get passed like you're standing still by a 600 hp 12 cylinder beemer! Tell me they aren't crazy!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Then, in Germany you are going 130 on the autobahn and you get passed like you're standing still by a 600 hp 12 cylinder beemer! Tell me they aren't crazy!!!

That's awesome!! With that and the beers I'll have to book a trip to Germany soon..:D