Yet another inversor question

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Matilda, I have a 4k Xantrex (trace) with 16 batteries and I run everything on that beast. Flat screen TV's, microwave, double door fridge with ice maker, 4 slot toaster every morning for my Vegemite on toast and lots more.....
When the maid fires up the iron however I do remind her that she could probably wait for the street power before pressing and starching my socks!

So I recommend checking the wiring in the house and the inverter wiring because a 3.5k trace with 12 batteries should handle everything you can throw at it.

Cheers and may you have excessive volts and amps in the near future.
Collingwood

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Matilda, I have a 4k Xantrex (trace) with 16 batteries and I run everything on that beast. Flat screen TV's, microwave, double door fridge with ice maker, 4 slot toaster every morning for my Vegemite on toast and lots more.....
When the maid fires up the iron however I do remind her that she could probably wait for the street power before pressing and starching my socks!

So I recommend checking the wiring in the house and the inverter wiring because a 3.5k trace with 12 batteries should handle everything you can throw at it.

Cheers and may you have excessive volts and amps in the near future.
Collingwood
I am glad it works for you but its a good way to burn your inverter as well if you do not have 16 batteries connected. Even if I had 16 batteries connected, I would not abuse my inverter and push it to the limits.
Matilda, please do not try to think what works and what does not. Just do not connect heavy current appliances example: iron, water heater, washer/dryer, blow dryer, toaster, heavy duty microwave and a/c etc. If you use your inverter for lights, music system, TV (any size), fans and computers, you will be just fine. You do not need 12 batteries to achieve all that. You could have done all fine with 8 or less batteries.
AZB

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Agree with Collingwood.

The showerhead heater probably draws 3000-6000 watts and should NOT be used. Heck, it may not even work on the inverter. Your guy was correct.

We had a girl here that fired up her mega hair dryer and popped the inverter overload breaker. Why? It drew 3000W.

Things that get hot from electrical resistance-water heaters, hair dryers, etc.-and large electric motors and compressors should not be connected. Most large motors (pool pumps, water pumps) and a/c compressors run on 220v anyway and don't work on inverters. Everything else can, you just have to manage the load either at the appliance or at the breaker box. 3500 watts is a pretty large capacity for most needs.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I used to have 4 batteries on my 2.5 kw inverter and I was happy but now the light don't go out as much so I have dropped to just 2 batteries. I have only low wattage bulbs connected, laptop, desktop pc, cordless phones, wireless router and modem, fans and stereo. I am just fine with all that and when lights do go out, I shut off anything which I do not need turned on.
AZB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am glad it works for you but its a good way to burn your inverter as well if you do not have 16 batteries connected. Even if I had 16 batteries connected, I would not abuse my inverter and push it to the limits.
Matilda, please do not try to think what works and what does not. Just do not connect heavy current appliances example: iron, water heater, washer/dryer, blow dryer, toaster, heavy duty microwave and a/c etc. If you use your inverter for lights, music system, TV (any size), fans and computers, you will be just fine. You do not 12 batteries to achieve all that. You could have done all fine with 8 or less batteries.
AZB
^^^Good advice^^^

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I used to have 4 batteries on my 2.5 kw inverter and I was happy but now the light don't go out as much so I have dropped to just 2 batteries. I have only low wattage bulbs connected, laptop, desktop pc, cordless phones, wireless router and modem, fans and stereo. I am just fine with all that and when lights do go out, I shut off anything which I do not need turned on.
AZB
Ahhh...a 2.5kw inverter. Now it makes sense. If I had a 2.5 I wouldn't run a mocrowave either. A 3.6, no problem.

Big difference.

If you have 2 batteries, then you have a 12v system, correct?

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Is this a Modified sinewave inverter?I wouldnt base my answer on just wattage calcs.Each brand is different... look at the specs.You need to look at efficiency and long term power output not all inverters have short/overload protection or undervoltage shutdown.Whats the Brand/model?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ahhh...a 2.5kw inverter. Now it makes sense. If I had a 2.5 I wouldn't run a mocrowave either. A 3.6, no problem.

Big difference.

If you have 2 batteries, then you have a 12v system, correct?

correct, 12 volt system as I do not want to have 4 batteries connected all the time. I use inverter as emergency power source not as my alternative power source to run everything in the house. I do not need my fridge running all the time as the lights go out here for only 30 min / day. If the lights go out for more time, I just don't open up my fridge door and everything stays cool inside. I only use the light bulbs in the room where I am at, i shut off the rest. The fan is essential so I make sure I have enough juice in the batteries to run my fan at night in case the lights don't come back. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had a super long black out in my area. We have pretty much steady power source. The black-outs last only minutes. This is why I do not need 4 batteries and I certainly don't need to have my fridge and water heater running all the time. We live in caribbean so I make adjustments accordingly. I came here for a simple life so I don't care to live like as though I am still in atlanta. I can live without a 55 inch HDTV for now. I don't care for a fridge that makes ice cubes or a water heater for my coffee. But but please don't take away my HTC Hd2 (andriod). I will cut my own head off it this baby is taken away from me :).
2 batteries are fine for now if the situation calls for 4 batteries, no problem, I will buy them the same day.
AZB

P.S: good thing you have moved to a much more sensible house, the last mansion you lived in needed 3 (3.6Kw) inverters and maybe 1000 batteries to cover the power consumption. Hehehehe

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Is this a Modified sinewave inverter?I wouldnt base my answer on just wattage calcs.Each brand is different... look at the specs.You need to look at efficiency and long term power output not all inverters have short/overload protection or undervoltage shutdown.Whats the Brand/model?

good observation:
Modified sinewave is welcomed differently by different equipment. Many appliances and electronic items do not like to run off this type of power source. I never had any problems but I would like to know how the sensitive, modern HDTV run off this power source?
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't like a 12 battery system either, preferring 8, because the chances of failure of one battery ruining all 12 is present and 8 batteries are sufficient for most applications.

Agreed. Seems like the guy who sold her the system didn't care for what is best for the client, all he wanted was to sell her as much batteries as he can so just fill up his own pockets. 8 batteries are more than sufficient to cover a nice sized house and it's needs. You do not have to have all your appliances running when lights are out. I am willing to bet money that you can survive the black-out without having to iron your clothes or not eating toasted bread.
remember, if the system faults and the inverter keeps charging the batteries, all your 12 batteries can fry in a matter of day. You won't even know what is going on and by the time you call the technician, its already too late. This occurrence is some-what common. I wonder how long would it take her 3.6kw (or is it 3kw???) to fully charge the12 batteries? 4 days?
This lesson on inverter is just the tip of the iceberg, you need to know how to maintain your batteries as well. Make sure the batteries are mounted not too high as you would need to check the fluid inside them after a few months. Generally after a year, the batteries begin to accumulate corrosion on the plates inside. This is when the batteries begin to spit out fumes and acid. The contacts will get corroded and will need to be cleaned. The batteries need to have edta treatment in order to obtain a lengthy usage of the batteries. sort of saying, use the full lifetime usage of the battery (3 yrs +). So make sure you learn all about inverters before you burn out your system from misuse.
AZB

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I moved last year and had a bad re installation of my system. One of the batteries literally melted on top. Had it fixed and the installation fixed. Now 8 months my batteries get very hot, seem to be swelling and the inversor itself is overheating.My system is just over 2 years old.

I have 4 batteries and can barely go 5 hours of one fan, one tv and a light. I believe it is time to replace my batteries. They go dry every 10 days or so if not watched and topped up!

We never use the inversor for irons, blow dryer, hot water heater, microwave, toaster or fridge.

It is imperative you find someone knowledgeable to install and maintain the system if you don't know how. I learned this the hard - and more expensive - way!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I moved last year and had a bad re installation of my system. One of the batteries literally melted on top. Had it fixed and the installation fixed. Now 8 months my batteries get very hot, seem to be swelling and the inversor itself is overheating.My system is just over 2 years old.

I have 4 batteries and can barely go 5 hours of one fan, one tv and a light. I believe it is time to replace my batteries. They go dry every 10 days or so if not watched and topped up!

We never use the inversor for irons, blow dryer, hot water heater, microwave, toaster or fridge.

It is imperative you find someone knowledgeable to install and maintain the system if you don't know how. I learned this the hard - and more expensive - way!
read up on edta treatment of the batteries on dr1. Your batteries need edta treatment. You will be able to get more time out of them.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been using edta for years and I get amazing results. Dead batteries coming back to life and lasting 2 more years. I have had 2 batteries that I could not revive but the rest had amazing effects.
AZB

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
After reading the info on EDTA I will try it. Not much to lose if I can try this and get a few more months out of my batteries.

Now I just need to find a source for it in Puerto Plata area.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks for the info. Now I need to scratch off salami from my list of foods.......eeeeuuuuuwwwwww

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We had similar issues. My two cents based on our solution:

1. I'm not sure that a voltage regulator can solve low voltage so I would recommend seeing if 220 is available at your connection point and then using a reducer to convert it to 110. This is what we did and we no longer have voltage nor amperage(power) problems.

2. We run everything on our 3.5 and we have 8 trojan red batteries. I believe we can go for 6 hours easily. We have 3 tv's, water pump, fridge, microwave, toaster, fans, 20+ lights. Obviosly not all are cut on at the same time.

3. We have a Corona shower head heater that uses 2000W. We got it at Ochoa for RD700.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A voltage regular can indeed be used to fix problems with voltages that are too low or too high. I purchased one that I used to power a pool pump when we had a low voltage issue some years back and the motor would constantly overheat and a thermal sensor would shut it off.

I'm no electrical engineer but in situations of low voltage and low amperage when a voltage regulator raises the voltage it has to lower the amperage according to Ohm's Law. This is the problem we had at our house with our electrical service. Low amperage can damage equipment too. A 220 source reduced to 110 will ensure voltage never fluctuates and has enough power.

Aug 21, 2007
I CERTAINLY am no electrician!!! (Ain't it the truth!) But- I do know that my Xantrex inverter can be set to high and low points for incoming current. If the voltage goes higher or lower than the set points, then the power is kicked off and the batteries take over.

Now in advance, please forgive me if I gave an answer to something altogether different that what was being discussed.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Lindsey

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Read the fine print about adding distilled water to your batteries !!!!!!!

The distilled water should only be added when the batteries are charged !!!!

If you have a lot of power outages, check the batteries every 15 days.
Letting the water level get so low as to expose the lead plates is very bad I am told.

AZB, I use a 60 cycle pure sine wave inverter that is ALWAYS on, for all my electronic equipment, it also runs off my 3.6kw Inverter, and it (The sine wave UPS) has two 12 volt batteries (24Volt) as a back up..

D in Tampa/Santiago