Solar panels are good for the country and individual finances but those who have invested in traditional power are not happy

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Paneles-Solares-Diario-Libre-1024x727.png

Without doubt generating power with solar panels is good for the country. Solar energy is abundantly available and is a way to reduce the country’s dependence on fossil fuels for the collective good.

Solar panels are all the rage these days and solar farms are cropping up all over the Dominican Republic.

But not everyone is happy about all the investing in solar panels to supply residential and commercial energy needs.

Power utilities and more traditional power generators say they source fuel to supply the demand. And when the demand drops because of those turning to solar power, their businesses are less profitable. This includes the power utilities that are owned by the government and those owned by private companies. As a result, the utilities and power generation companies are taking actions to impose new obstacles to people going solar.

According to economists...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well this is quite the conundrum isn't it. And here we thought solar power was all good when it could be making things worse.

Only in the DR..

Reactions: chico bill

livio

Dec 13, 2007
In Casa de campo, La Romana they want to charge you an extra fee for using solar power on your villa. Crazy time I guest.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is there something wrong with doing those things?
I see nothing wrong with any of it, especially if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Does any of it really make a significant difference is the question I would ask.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
This is a cue to buy solar panels before there is some kind of ridiculous tax that goes onto them. I think it's a good idea for anyone who lives in DR to strive to be as independent as possible to avoid stress rip-offs and bureaucracy. i.e using Starlink instead of local has saved me a good deal of stress of lining up to pay for something and wasting 2 hours of my life. Solar panels on my roof would be amazing in theory.. not being interrupted and shuffling to McDonald's to work twice a week.

I love this country but it's frustrating to try to remove independence to dependency on an entity or service that is horrible to begin with especially since everything is so inefficient and illogical 90% of the time here their economy is closely coupled around nepotism and forced dependence.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
This is a cue to buy solar panels before there is some kind of ridiculous tax that goes onto them. I think it's a good idea for anyone who lives in DR to strive to be as independent as possible to avoid stress rip-offs and bureaucracy. i.e using Starlink instead of local has saved me a good deal of stress of lining up to pay for something and wasting 2 hours of my life. Solar panels on my roof would be amazing in theory.. not being interrupted and shuffling to McDonald's to work twice a week.

I love this country but it's frustrating to try to remove independence to dependency on an entity or service that is horrible to begin with especially since everything is so inefficient and illogical 90% of the time here their economy is closely coupled around nepotism and forced dependence.
Right now panels are super cheap due to slowing demand and incentives across the world and weakness with the Chinese economy. There are no taxes on panels in the DR, so that lowers the prices as well. When I first started looking at panels 15 years ago, they were about $2 per watt. Last year I bought more at 40 cents per watt. Now I see them advertised here for 20 cents per watt. Get some now. Add an off grid inverter and a lithium battery bank and cut the cord. I have about 40 panels, but I would not need as many if I did not have a pool. I have the benefit of a nice breeze most of the time, but when the air stops, my panels are enough to run three air conditioners.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It would be logical that the DR would impose a high tax on solar panels and an especially high one on E-cars soon,

People are lining up in anticipation of that?

Windmills would also face stiff taxes, I would guess.

Or would that make any sense at all? .

Now where would I put those 40 panels before they get those high taxes?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Right now panels are super cheap due to slowing demand and incentives across the world and weakness with the Chinese economy. There are no taxes on panels in the DR, so that lowers the prices as well. When I first started looking at panels 15 years ago, they were about $2 per watt. Last year I bought more at 40 cents per watt. Now I see them advertised here for 20 cents per watt. Get some now. Add an off grid inverter and a lithium battery bank and cut the cord. I have about 40 panels, but I would not need as many if I did not have a pool. I have the benefit of a nice breeze most of the time, but when the air stops, my panels are enough to run three air conditioners.
Run 3 ACs for how long?

Reactions: windeguy

Big

Apr 24, 2019
solar panels, separating paper and plastic, electric vehicles, bringing your own bags to the supermarket and my favorite. capturing rainwater. These are fuzzy ideas however they are not for me. Cat diesel generators are the Symphany I prefer.

• Sad
Reactions: drstock

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
solar panels, separating paper and plastic, electric vehicles, bringing your own bags to the supermarket and my favorite. capturing rainwater. These are fuzzy ideas however they are not for me. Cat diesel generators are the Symphany I prefer.
What on Earth is wrong with capturing rainwater? My friend lives in the country where there is no mains water so she has to have a well and pump. The pump costs a lot of money to run and if the power is out for a long time she can't use it. I am thinking of investing in a system to capture rainwater for her.

The other things on your list - again, what's wrong with them?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
What on Earth is wrong with capturing rainwater? My friend lives in the country where there is no mains water so she has to have a well and pump. The pump costs a lot of money to run and if the power is out for a long time she can't use it. I am thinking of investing in a system to capture rainwater for her.

if you have the time and desire in your life to peruse these futile interests, have at it. It is a harmless hobby, so enjoy. Maybe you can also take up knitting blankets out of plastic bottles for the homeless.

• Sad

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We have drains from the ceiling of our residential building to our cistern. It takes very little for them to fill it when we have a good rain.

That's a lot better than just letting water run out to the ground.

Reactions: PCMike and drstock

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

If I owned a home I would try to do all those things, except for the wind mill of course. I think they're all great ideas. I'm no tree humper but I do really appreciate being independent, especially here in Boca Chica where 96 hours is the record for continuous electricity. However as a renter I'm not going to invest in improving someone else's property.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I would think 40 panels could run 3 inverter AC units for as long as the sun shines.
It is more than just running the air conditioners. I also need the capacity to recharge the batteries, run the pool pump, recharge the cordless tools, water pump, Godsmack at 130 db when I am battling against the Bachatas etc.. two fridges, etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is more than just running the air conditioners. I also need the capacity to recharge the batteries, run the pool pump, recharge the cordless tools, water pump, Godsmack at 130 db when I am battling against the Bachatas etc.. two fridges, etc.
I completely understand. I have evaluated how many panels I would need to do the same, and have not moved forward to purchase any solar as of yet.
My property does not have the roof lines to mount enough panels for going off grid. So I would have to go with a grid tied system and try to reduce my bill a bit.

The battery size/cost and lifetime trade off is also an issue for how my property is set up for the main house and apartments, and my music studio and swimming pool. Just not worth it for me. If solar power had these prices 15 to 20 years ago, I would probably have gotten some.

Today I use a inverters and a generator for the all too frequent Edenorte so called Maintenance times. The worst thing we have is Edenorte will not come to cut trees touching the power lines. They have been contacted many times and just don't care about the danger.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008

I pay my Elec bill and Altce bill online. Takes 1 minute not 2 hours.

Reactions: JD Jones

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
nice, minus your pool how many watts or kw do you use per hour minus your pool? I can see the the panels are quite cheap but I don't know about the other stuff here like the DC/AC inverter.. do you have a battery bank too or just use a hybrid system?