Solar panels are good for the country and individual finances but those who have invested in traditional power are not happy

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
solar panels, separating paper and plastic, electric vehicles, bringing your own bags to the supermarket and my favorite. capturing rainwater. These are fuzzy ideas however they are not for me. Cat diesel generators are the Symphany I prefer.
This comment has to be either sarcasm, a joke or meant to provoke, which it's doing already...

• Haha
Reactions: PCMike and JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It's number 3: Meant to provoke.
it only provokes the environmentalists who like to push their agenda onto others. Now excuse me while I check on my Cat power diesel generator. Some like to collect rainwater as a hobby, I like the hum of my generator as I sip my morning coffee. As far as solar panels go, I prefer a Cat or Cummins diesel powered engine.

Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
it only provokes the environmentalists who like to push their agenda onto others. Now excuse me while I check on my Cat power diesel generator. Some like to collect rainwater as a hobby, I like the hum of my generator as I sip my morning coffee. As far as solar panels go, I prefer a Cat or Cummins diesel powered engine.
You would have loved it here in the 70's. You probably wouldn't have loved my Denyo super silent genset.

Reactions: windeguy and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
You would have loved it here in the 70's. You probably wouldn't have loved my Denyo super silent genset.
Denyo is a good product. Generators have come a long way. Stand alones are super silent and efficient now.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
nice, minus your pool how many watts or kw do you use per hour minus your pool? I can see the the panels are quite cheap but I don't know about the other stuff here like the DC/AC inverter.. do you have a battery bank too or just use a hybrid system?
It is not easy to answer your question because sometimes I have three air conditioners running and then you have to figure in the coffee makers, recharging the batteries, etc. etc. My batteries are the lithium LIFPo. They come with a monitoring system so you can monitor how far down your batteries have drawn. They are more expensive but your traditional batteries should only be discharged to about 50% whereas with the lithium batteries you can discharge them to 15% without any problems and usually I can recharge them by noon or one in the afternoon . If you want more detailed information, I can send you a private message, and some video is showing my system. As I mentioned before I have the benefit of a breeze, but at night sleeping as much easier with air-conditioning. Also, during the summer we need to have the air conditioners because it is so hot and sometimes the breeze stops. Each of the air conditioners draws about 1500 W so that gives you an idea of the capacity. I also have windmills as a back up but at this point they are not functional because they have a rectifier. These are cheap windmills from China and rectifiers are junk. to find a decent rectifier, and once I do that will supplement the power at night when the wind is blowing. Sorry for my typos and grammatical errors. I am dictating and I am on my way out the door.

Reactions: JD Jones

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
So on this thread the govt and others complain about solar energy, and in this one

The same govt promotes and celebrates it? How does this make any sense?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Solar panels?
No thanks.
I'll stick to my electricity and gas powered SUVs.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
It is not easy to answer your question because sometimes I have three air conditioners running and then you have to figure in the coffee makers, recharging the batteries, etc. etc. My batteries are the lithium LIFPo. They come with a monitoring system so you can monitor how far down your batteries have drawn. They are more expensive but your traditional batteries should only be discharged to about 50% whereas with the lithium batteries you can discharge them to 15% without any problems and usually I can recharge them by noon or one in the afternoon . If you want more detailed information, I can send you a private message, and some video is showing my system. As I mentioned before I have the benefit of a breeze, but at night sleeping as much easier with air-conditioning. Also, during the summer we need to have the air conditioners because it is so hot and sometimes the breeze stops. Each of the air conditioners draws about 1500 W so that gives you an idea of the capacity. I also have windmills as a back up but at this point they are not functional because they have a rectifier. These are cheap windmills from China and rectifiers are junk. to find a decent rectifier, and once I do that will supplement the power at night when the wind is blowing. Sorry for my typos and grammatical errors. I am dictating and I am on my way out the door.
I'd really appreciate that, please DM me.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
In concept solar is an excellent solution but if you live by the sea the salt air will destroy the equipment long before you realize a return on your investment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In concept solar is an excellent solution but if you live by the sea the salt air will destroy the equipment long before you realize a return on your investment.
Something many fail to grasp. Thanks for pointing that out. Rust never sleeps.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I have mine over 10 years, and I am only 300 feet from the ocean. No corrosion and everything is working fine. I am sure the aluminum channel is oxidizing, but if you are worried about that, don't buy anything in this country.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I'm betting you clean them twice a year.
The panels are outside on the second floor roof, and I am not good with heights, so no, I have not cleaned them. The inverters are inside the house with less exposure to the elements. Some installers put the inverters outside, but I have not seen that in this country yet.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The panels are outside on the second floor roof, and I am not good with heights, so no, I have not cleaned them. The inverters are inside the house with less exposure to the elements. Some installers put the inverters outside, but I have not seen that in this country yet.
Happy to hear that. I have read that they should be cleaned twice a year. We don't have panels, just an inverter with 4 batteries. It's inside too.