Uno quiere para que lo quiera

Status
Not open for further replies.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Woulh byd someone explain /translate for me what these lines mean in English by el Torito?
Uno quiere pa' que lo quiera
Uno ama pa'que lo ame
Uno no da la vida entera
pa'que lo engane , pa'que lo engane.... or somehting like that.
Someone said it means someothing like , you don;t love to be loved, but I for the life of me cannot see that in translation - but then again my Spanish is not perfect by any means....

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
here is my idea of the translation

You want because you want
You love because you love
One does not give a lifetime
because it is deceitful, because it is deceitful

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
Let me fix that

You want because he/she wants you
You love because he/she loves you
One does not give a lifetime
Because it is lie, because it is a lie.

thomascabarete

Aug 4, 2008
Que uno quiere pa' que lo quieran
que uno ama pa' que lo amen
y uno no da la vida entera pa' que lo enga?en pa' que lo enga?en

In the song he is asking a woman for forgivness and this is what the woman says to him.

I think it means

That one wants (another person) to be wanted (by that same person)
That one loves (that person) to be loved (by that person
And one doesn't give their whole life to (that person) to be cheated on (by that person)

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Woulh byd someone explain /translate for me what these lines mean in English by el Torito?
1.Uno quiere pa' que lo quiera
2. Uno ama pa'que lo ame
3. Uno no da la vida entera
4. pa'que lo engane , pa'que lo engane.... or somehting like that.
Someone said it means someothing like , you don;t love to be loved, but I for the life of me cannot see that in translation - but then again my Spanish is not perfect by any means....

1. One loves to be loved (by him/her)
2. One loves to be loved.
3. One does not give an entire life
4. to be deceived

Please note: querer/ amar = to love

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
yes querer means the same as amor, sometimes.

But in this phrase it is said both ways, therefore I believe that the intent in the first line was to say "to want" or "to desire" not to love.

usually when you use it to mean love, it has an ojective inversion.

For example "te quiero".

Coming from the root of want or desire, I believe that querer comes from the idea of physical love, whereas amor comes from a very deep emotional love.

Anyway that is my two cents, I am actually not very good at spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Song title- Sin Perd?n by El Torito

Just in case people don't know this song or the artist, it's called Sin Perd?n by El Torito (H?ctor Acosta). It was a big hit from his album Mitad Mitad released in 2008 and the song was an instant success with his bachata fans and fans of the genre in general.

This video es El Torito live at United Palace in NYC.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkKFOA-kCDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkKFOA-kCDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sometimes it helps to hear the whole song in order to understand the lyrics and not just a few lines. Also, if the lyrics are clear, it's a good way to learn and understand the nuances of a language. Keeping in mind, artists and song writers don't need to follow the rules and don't. Therefore, sometimes you need to grasp the gist of what's being said. However, I am not saying that's the case in this song.

-MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.