Dominicans in Sarasota, Florida

redeemed1111

Nov 17, 2004
Hello

I will be relocating to Sarasota, Fl in a few months, and I can't find anything about us or any hispanics there, should I be worried? I know there are alot of retirees there which is fine with me. My husband loves it there and wants to raise our daughter there. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thx

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't think you'll have a problem. We lived in Orlando for five years and there are tons of Dominicans and more arriving every day from the north. I've been to the Tampa/Sarasota area and noticed a lot of hispanics too.

While you might not find a lot of Dominicans they will be there and many seem to be the owners of bodegas and hispanic restaurants.

Wyatte

Mar 1, 2010
Hello

I will be relocating to Sarasota, Fl in a few months, and I can't find anything about us or any hispanics there, should I be worried? I know there are alot of retirees there which is fine with me. My husband loves it there and wants to raise our daughter there. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thx

I live in Sarasota. I'm not Dominican, nor Latino. I'm just interested in Dominican culture. Anyhow, there are a lot of Hispanic people here. In fact, according to the census 1-out-10 people in Sarasota are Latino/Hispanic. There has always been a modest Mexican/Central American community here. I've begun to see a rise in the number of Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Colombians/Peruvians.

Another telling sign of the Latino population: I hear people speaking Spanish every time I leave my house and go somewhere. Believe me, there are plenty of Hispanic people here in Sarasota, and their population is growing. You won't have a hard time finding them.

As far as Dominicans, I haven't met any here. Then again, I generally don't go out of my way to meet people. I've certainly seen people who look Dominican, but I didn't talk to them.

Additionally, there are quite a few Hispanic grocery stores which carry Dominican products as well--just in case you were wondering.

redeemed1111

Nov 17, 2004
Thx Chip and Wyatee for your replies you both have put my mom and I at ease. We are looking forward to our move. ;-)

Lissette Hernandez

Nov 7, 2011
long time ago

i know your post is from 2010 but just curious about your move to Sarasota? I have been here since 2006 and there are very few Dominicans here, would like your input of your adjustment? Thanks