Whale watching?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Was wondering if anyone had any insight into how whale watching has been this year. I've read the typical season lasts until March 15. Planning a trip to Samana the first week of March and am wondering if we should attempt a whale watching excursion. Boat recommendations are welcome as well.

Oh... on a side note, we'll be driving from Bavaro and plan on taking the toll-road I've been hearing about. Thing is, I can't find much about it online. The Maps sites don't seem to show it (or better yet I'm just blind). Googling let me to this article dated Sept 9, 2009 that implies the road hasn't even been built yet. Color me confused. Is that article in reference to a different road?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My friends went on Wednesday and had a great whale-watching experience. Kim is by far the best option.

There are some dr1 threads about the state of the toll road, which was finished a couple of years ago. We drove from PC - Los Cacaos (between Samana and Las Galeras) this time last year in about 5 hrs. I think cobraboy posted recently that some parts of the road from the north end of the highway to Samana have since improved, but sounds like the Samana-LG stretch is still pretty dire.

Last edited:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Just went whale watching with Kim this past Thursday in Samana. Awesome experience, and yes we saw lots of whales, some really close to the boat. Kim is an inveterate professional, knowledgeable about the whales, their history, their patterns, and made the experience truly a delight. We hired a taxi from Sosua, left very early in the morning, took the 9 am boat. We were back at 1:30 and home at 5:30. Very do-able in one day. If you want any more details, PM me.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Just went whale watching on 21-Feb. We went with Moto Marina Club their tel# 809-538-2302. My aunt lives in Samana and she took us to their office which is directly in front of the pier we boarded the boat on. I want to say it was like an equivalent of about $45 and it includes 2hrs of whale watching, lunch and hanging out on our own in Cayo Levantado. We got lucky that as soon as our boat go to the area where whales are often spotted we saw a bunch. On 2 occasions we saw some jumpers which was awesome. Lunch was very delicious (included fish and a variety of local dishes) and the beach at Cayo Levantado was clean and a bit warmer than Las Terrenas. We were back at the Samana pier at around 4:30pm

Now once we were waiting for our boat in Cayo Levantado we heard a group who was severely disappointed they had been out there for 2hrs and didn't see any whales. Also a couple we met a week prior in our hotel in Santo Domingo told us they were out for about 2hrs before they finally saw a few whales. So it is a hit or miss.
It was windy & cloudy the morning we went .... perhaps that worked in our favor?
Although the water was extra choppy.
--Joana

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Oops forgot to add the tour guide handed out free beverages, pieces of coconut and pills to prevent sea sickness.
Also 1 non-alcoholic beverage included with the lunch.
Oh and we all wore life vests.

Just went whale watching on 21-Feb. We went with Moto Marina Club their tel# 809-538-2302. My aunt lives in Samana and she took us to their office which is directly in front of the pier we boarded the boat on. I want to say it was like an equivalent of about $45 and it includes 2hrs of whale watching, lunch and hanging out on our own in Cayo Levantado. We got lucky that as soon as our boat go to the area where whales are often spotted we saw a bunch. On 2 occasions we saw some jumpers which was awesome. Lunch was very delicious (included fish and a variety of local dishes) and the beach at Cayo Levantado was clean and a bit warmer than Las Terrenas. We were back at the Samana pier at around 4:30pm

Now once we were waiting for our boat in Cayo Levantado we heard a group who was severely disappointed they had been out there for 2hrs and didn't see any whales. Also a couple we met a week prior in our hotel in Santo Domingo told us they were out for about 2hrs before they finally saw a few whales. So it is a hit or miss.
It was windy & cloudy the morning we went .... perhaps that worked in our favor?
Although the water was extra choppy.
--Joana