Need advice on budget motels in Samana

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Hi,

The last time I stayed in Sosua I took one of the Mel Tours out to Bacardi Island. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and I want to spend some more time there. Next month, I'd like to get a hotel room in downtown Santa Barbara de Samana close (walking distance) to the malecon. Can anyone recommend a good budget hotel room there??? Any advice concerning the town is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Be aware: you get what you pay for in Samana. The cheap hotels are just that: cheap.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Any hotels suggestions???

Be aware: you get what you pay for in Samana. The cheap hotels are just that: cheap.

Okay, any hotels that you would recommend in downtown Samana that aren't "cheap" but reasonable, secure, and safe??? Thanks.

Jim

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The hotel Bahia View is located at the back end of the traffic circle on the west end of the malecon. If a basic, clean room with ceiling fan will suffice, the price is right, and if the room upstairs in front is available, the view of the bay from the balcony is spectacular.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Okay, any hotels that you would recommend in downtown Samana that aren't "cheap" but reasonable, secure, and safe??? Thanks.

Jim
The big resort on the hill.

I've stayed at the Bahia View. Meh. Loud, not especially clean and hot. I had the pleasure of hearing a police Sgt. banging some chick all night. I didn't think it was a deal at all. But in fairness to BV, the owner had died and the place was being run by kids that didn't care or know what they were doing...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You are right about the noise CB. In my case it was motoconchos outside, not sex next door. Every time I have stayed there I had a room facing the bay with a nice breeze, so I didn't find it hot. Also, it's been about 3 years, so things may have gone downhill since.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't think Tropical Lodge is still open. I think it is just a restaurant.
Last I heard, the Lodge is a Jehova Witness retreat. Some time ago we sniffed at buying it, then sniffed at staying there on tour.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Motels

Hi,

Thanks for the info so far. Does the Bahia View have safes in their rooms. Are they good-sized??? Cobra, what is the name of the resort you talked about on the hiil and is it walking distance to the Malecon. Is it the "Tropical Lodge" you spoke of?????

Also, is anyone familiar with the Hotel Docia???? It was mentioned in one of my DR travel guides. The guide said: "Perched on a small hill one street behind the malecon, this modest hotel has very basic but clean rooms and a convenient location that puts it at the top of budget option motels."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My friends who are visiting from the UK did a budget backpacking style trip to Saman? last week. They stayed at Hotel Docia for one night before going on to Las Galeras - they thought it was great value.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They didn't mention it as a problem. One of my friends speaks enough basic Spanish to get by in practical situations - not fluently though.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Room Safes in Bahia View????

Hi all,

Are there any room safes in Bahia View???

And isn't there a large thatched-roofed bar/restaurant on the main street a little ways down from the motel??? I saw from the tour bus, and I think I saw where the Bahia View was as well. It's on the southern end of town about half a block from the main street in town.

As far as being noisy, I always take my handy-dandy earplugs with me...I started using them when I was in the US Navy on ship. Nothing like 50 guys in your berthing compartment all snoring at once -- and at out of tune, too!!!!!!

Regards,
Jim

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Motels & Small Budget Hotels in the Town of Samana ( Santa Barbara de Samana )

You will find some decent Small hotels in the Town of Samana, to name a few :
Hotel Docia, Samana Spring, Nilka, Chino and Aire y Mar ...
All of them are in quiet neighbourhoods. The Bahia View which has no more "View"
since they built the Plaza Pueblo Principe in front of it, is rather noisy because of the
traffic of a lot of Motorcycles and the CARWASH Disco just 300 feet from it.

Find some usefull information about the Town at this local website,
and a detailled Map of the location of Small and Economical Hotels :

Go Samana | Dominican Republic - The Town of Samana

Enjoy Beautiful and Natural Samana,
:knockedou Jon

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I have stayed at the Docia - was good some time back.
Up above the chapel. Some noise from church services.
Yanandu