Advice for a potential DR Newby

lcntam

Feb 15, 2010
Hubby and I are looking at DR for an April trip...torn between Puerto Plata and Punta Cana...
any one willing to provide some pros and cons to either please? really looking for great beaches...
thanks in advance!

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Tons of snorkelling on the North Coast, Punta Rusia,Sosua, Samana. On the North Coast at least you can get culture by going into cities, not some man made city. If you are a resort person, Punta Cana is for you. If u want adventure and culture and travel North Coast is for u.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If you are a resort person, Punta Cana is for you. If u want adventure and culture and travel North Coast is for u.

I think that's well said. If someone's looking for white sand beaches, newer all-inclusive hotels and all that comes with them... Punta Cana is the destination.

If you're a little more adventurous, prefer a small hotel or condominium, and more beach to yourself - then Cabarete or Samana would be the destination. There's snorkeling in Sosua if you're in Cabarete, and snorkeling available in Samana as well. A few all-inclusives worth recommending in those areas as well, but choose wisely as many on the north coast are dated.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
same coin...just different side :)

as far as i can tell punta cana is geared up to be a cuba clone
everything for the tourista.....

in my opinion if you want real life and still enjoy your vacation, anywhere on the north coast will do....

doesn't mean you can't go to one place...then hope into a car and explore the rest...maybe you'll come across somewhere you'd like to make your next vacation :)