curious - resort staff.

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
This is totally random and likely stupid.

Here's the "situation":
While i was on vacation in the DR (beautiful island, btw! love it, going back asap), you would of thought i was a celebrity..the way i was followed around by A LOT of the men working at the resort. I'm not tooting my own horn, believe me i'm so self conscious it's ridiculous - i'm whiter than a corpse, and by north american standards i'm considered plus size (ughh damn my mothers genetics/big hips)

But, It actually got to the point that the friends I went with were getting mad at me (as if i could help it, geesh) and it totally ranged in age, like i had older guys in manager positions proposing marriage to young maintenance guys stopping me when i walked by - even the entertainment team were hanging near by day and night. And i never knew how to react. I think i usually just walked away...fast.

my question: is this their job? (lol) are they SUPPOSED to hit on you to make you feel 'good' because you're a young white tourist? I could totally just be over analyzing this situation...And i've always wondered what the fascination with fair/light skin was... I would trade my pasty complexion for a wicked tan any day.

Reactions: mike l

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hello and welcome to DR1.

Hang on one second I have some popcorn on the go, BRB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Here's the "situation":
While i was on vacation in the DR (beautiful island, btw! love it, going back asap), you would of thought i was a celebrity..the way i was followed around by A LOT of the men working at the resort. I'm not tooting my own horn, believe me i'm so self conscious it's ridiculous - i'm whiter than a corpse, and by north american standards i'm considered plus size (ughh damn my mothers genetics/big hips)

But, It actually got to the point that the friends I went with were getting mad at me (as if i could help it, geesh) and it totally ranged in age, like i had older guys in manager positions proposing marriage to young maintenance guys stopping me when i walked by - even the entertainment team were hanging near by day and night. And i never knew how to react. I think i usually just walked away...fast.

my question: is this their job? (lol) are they SUPPOSED to hit on you to make you feel 'good' because you're a young white tourist? I could totally just be over analyzing this situation...And i've always wondered what the fascination with fair/light skin was... I would trade my pasty complexion for a wicked tan any day.

When it rains, it pours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do some research on this site. The search button is your best friend.

Search "sankies".

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Did you look grateful for the attention, isabellaaa? That could have spurred them on............among other things :cheeky:. My dear, you've summed it up yourself - white skin, plumpish, self-conscious, confused, not knowing how to react. The others, you see, are likely to be harder work: the supremely self-confident young women, those who know how to mortally wound at 200 yards with just a look. These guys can often be opportunists, they go for the easiest target. You're probably sweet and genuine and not a leather booted cojones breaker so............they flock.

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
Grateful? I dunno, depends on how good looking the guy was who happened to give me attention LOL jkjk..i'm not shallow.

I actually laughed in some faces because I thought it was some sort of joke (which is why i brought it up here). I mean, there were only two that really freaked me out that i actually full out walked away from but they were a little aggressive about it. I wasn't like "oooo, aaaa - you're hitting on me, let's run away together!" but i could def see myself being an easy target.

i guess the real joke's on them - i can barley afford to take care of my cat, never mind another human being.. ha.

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
Is the term 'sankies' just used in the Dominican? Hah because that kind of crap people should watch for in pretty much any foreign country. Yiiiikes.

Totally reminds me when i was at one of the discos on my last night and i saw the youngest guy, like no older than 25 totally shackin' up with a 60ish year old woman - not that she wasn't good looking (i couldn't tell, they were busy snogging..and it was dark) i thought it was a little odd - but some people like that, so hey, who was i to judge...but now it's all slowly coming together, LOL. ... anyway.

thanks for the info ;) i will pass it on to all of my other naive friends, hah..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
the word sankie apparently came from the words hanky panky or in other parts of the world are known as gigolos, scam artist, opportunists, self starters, entrepreneur :)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

Here's the "situation":

your money,hunnie...................

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
so what i've learned here is that if you're young, white and plump - you're also automatically rich? oh how i wish this was how real life really was!

poor guys, if they suckered me in all they'd be gaining is my student debt. . . and a cat.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
so what i've learned here is that if you're young, white and plump - you're also automatically rich? oh how i wish this was how real life really was!

poor guys, if they suckered me in all they'd be gaining is my student debt. . . and a cat.

Y tu pap? mi amor, no nos va a ayudar ????

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009

wow i like you already, quick learner,

and no im not dominican :cheeky:

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
hah thanks blackrainbow...i might've been naive..but not stupid ;) i catch on quick. And I'm going back in a couple of months, so i guess it's better to be informed.

but i have another question... Wouldn't a hotel enforce rules for something like this? I would assume that that could be grounds for dismissal couldn't it? After some of the stuff i've read and what's happened to people who have been put into sketchy situations with these "sankies" (i hate that word, lol) - it just seems weird that a hotel would hire people and then not catch on to fact that they are trying to scam hotel guests? Especially when it appears to usually be people on the animation teams?

Or is this something that they turn a blind eye to? I just remember one dude walking by and saying "you can look but not touch!" to one of the guys that was speaking to me.

Richie

Mar 30, 2005
Most guys in the Caribbean, and indeed many cultures of African origin, tend to like a big butt so your mother's hips may actually give you an advantage in the DR. First time I went to the region I was very struck by the fact that the shop mannequins have enhanced booty compared to the ones I'm used to seeing around Europe.

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Here's part 1 of a recent documentary that might interest you Man Hunters: Sex Trips For Girls Part 1 - Video

If I can find part 2, I will post a link.

Also, to answer one of your questions... a supervisor at one of the resorts admits they encourage the workers to be 'friendly'. I'm not sure if it's in part 1 or part 2 of the video.

Ok... best I could find was a sort of highlight reel on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0I6...0A793FED&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19 Maybe someone can find the rest of the show for you.

This was all filmed near Sosua & Rio San Juan on the Dominican north coast.

Last edited:

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Big butts

Most guys in the Caribbean, and indeed many cultures of African origin, tend to like a big butt so your mother's hips may actually give you an advantage in the DR. First time I went to the region I was very struck by the fact that the shop mannequins have enhanced booty compared to the ones I'm used to seeing around Europe.

I for one have a lot of experience in this area, as I have a big butt and curvy coke bottle shape LOL I've been dating Caribbean, African and Latin men for years almost exclusively and have always been complimented on the shape of my butt. However, you must also have a pretty face and your butt must be bigger than your waist for this theory to work LOL Just listen to any reggae or hip hop song if you want to know. Remember Sir Mix a Lot, Baby Got Back. Just use your common sense and have fun. Take any compliments you get with a grain of salt...approach them with a sense of humour. :cheeky:

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
CFA123 - that's so insane! Women are crazy! (no offense - i am one after all) if you find part 2 can you post it?

Wow that just blows my mind that people fall for that kind of stuff. Yuckkkk. so i met a lot of good looking Dominicans at the resort i was at, but i would neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr shack up with someone i just met in a foreign country, and i'm 23 - not 50! Like helllooo ladies, you know better.....i live by the saying 'if you dont know where it's been, don't touch it'.

but it saddens me that most of these sankies are the animation guys. aw, the ones i met were so nice/hilarious and helped us out a lot! and I'm going back to the same resort with some of my friends in a couple of months and i'll never be able to look at those guys the same way, lol.

Thanks for all the feedback!