Question 8 & 9 on the 2010 US Census

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There is a clip on WBAI-FM in NY featuring Miriam Jimenez-Roman from the Afro-Latin@ Project at Queens College-CUNY. I ll post the audio clip at the bottom.
She is trying to increase the prominence and recognition of Black Latinos on the upcoming United State Census. She has determined that in the 2000 US Census there was 3% of polled persons who identified as Latino also classified as Black. There are several PSAs her organization has created to increase the representation of Black Latinos on the new poll. The PSAs essentially recommend that when domestic latinos of african descent make the effort to fill out the new questionnaire that they check two boxes, the one that has race: Black or Negro(yep, its on there) AND the one that has ethnicity(Hispanic, not white).
These are the PSAs:
1. YouTube - Afro-Latin@s and Census 2010- YO SOY
2. YouTube - Afro-Latin@s and Census 2010 - Y TU ABUELA?
3. YouTube - Afro Latin@s and Census 2010 - FACTS

General information page: HispanicTips Counting Afro-Latinos in the 2010 Census

and the interview: http://archive.wbai.org/files/mp3/100312_170001jordanj.MP3

Asi que si Uds. estaran alla, chequealos dos!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Moderator please move this thread to Dominicans abroad...

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My family will check both boxes as for sure we have some Afro descendant.
Dominican slang:
Todos los Dominicanos tenemos el negro detras de la oreja.

JJ

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
This is a really great help, especially to me. I was really wondering what I was going to check on the census, my mother is of African descent and my father is dominicano. So Now I know thanks, great and informative topic!!! take care and God bless,
Biggs

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Just filled out my Census form, but didn't check Black/negro race.

They still count you as Hispanic if you checked that w/o checking the race column.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are 1.1 Million Dominicans that live in the US. This is just a tip to help identify themselves and possibly get more economic development funds and/or recognition for their community.
So how will this separate Dominicans from other Latinos of mixed heritage. After all Puerto Ricans, Cuba, and others are of the same ethnic mix.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
dominicans can write in their race.
Which is the Dominican race? Most Dominicans looks like Afro/Americans but others have different features and skin colors. I heard that we will be separated like a race in the 2010 US census but I'm not sure if this is going to a reality.

JJ

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
There is a clip on WBAI-FM in NY featuring Miriam Jimenez-Roman from the Afro-Latin@ Project at Queens College-CUNY. I ll post the audio clip at the bottom.
She is trying to increase the prominence and recognition of Black Latinos on the upcoming United State Census. She has determined that in the 2000 US Census there was 3% of polled persons who identified as Latino also classified as Black. There are several PSAs her organization has created to increase the representation of Black Latinos on the new poll. The PSAs essentially recommend that when domestic latinos of african descent make the effort to fill out the new questionnaire that they check two boxes, the one that has race: Black or Negro(yep, its on there) AND the one that has ethnicity(Hispanic, not white).
These are the PSAs:

I do not get it, why people in the US census have to identify their race. Should not you be count only as a person or citizen. Why it is so important.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Which is the Dominican race? Most Dominicans looks like Afro/Americans but others have different features and skin colors. I heard that we will be separated like a race in the 2010 US census but I'm not sure if this is going to a reality.

JJ

Is there a need for that in the 21 Century.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
In a complicated society

Why not just check "other" and write in "American..."

that is over simplified;)

Line 8, checked box "Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin - "and in tiny letters wrote; Of Spanish, Taino, African and Ciboney origins until further notice

Line 9; See line 8.

Reactions: woofsback

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Since gerrymandering is illegal, asking about race on the census should be made illegal if that is the primary reason to ask the question.

Constitutional, it should be illegal. People should make a joke out of it and check other and put Martian. hahahahaha

Reactions: Bronxboy

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Since gerrymandering is illegal, asking about race on the census should be made illegal if that is the primary reason to ask the question.

RIGHT(tongue in cheek), like thats going to happen. Look up there in the sky its a bird, or a plane, no its a pig.

Link says it illegal, did not say its not done. Silly me.

mrweepa1

Jun 12, 2009
Who cares ??????????

These are the PSAs:

Does this mean more Chicken and rice for your family or money for any Human person living there???????? Who da f### cares about what race is living there?

Reactions: Tamborista

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Does this mean more Chicken and rice for your family or money for any Human person living there???????? Who da f### cares about what race is living there?

As they normally vote Democrat, the Democrats. They may get more Representatives in congress from that district.