The Damajagua 27-Waterfalls Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrgood1000

Does anyone know if the safety situation has improved after the deaths of that American couple last June?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We take our guests there all the time. It's a fantastic experience.

But one needs to be in decent shape and at least a tad athletic.

It ain't Kansas, for sure...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Does anyone know if the safety situation has improved after the deaths of that American couple last June?

I would definately say if you go, you do so at your own peril. To the best of my knowledge, no new measures are in effect as far as safety goes.

If you do choose to go, I strongly discourage you from going after any significant amount of heavy rainfall.

Be aware, guides are helpful when all goes well but under-trained at best.

We did see some people complete the first 7 when we went who were in less than optimal shape but some degree of physical fitness would be to your advantage.

Please think this through carefully...while it is beautiful, your safety cannot and wont be guaranteed.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a took this trip with two friends. one of us can swim fairly well, one can almost swim (that's me, yeah) and one cannot swim at all. we all had fun and even the non swimming girl did a jump from waterfall (about 4 meters?).
few problems:
water is very cold. i am fairly slim and i was freezing!
stream of water is very strong, again due to my build i could not move forward without being dragged like a log :)
water is very deep, scary for those who do not feel safe without ground under their feet.
it is a great adventure and a rush of adrenaline is def there but safetly is slim to none (but you wear jacket and helmet).
there were several deaths there so be careful. the smaller the group the better. no drinking prior to the trip!

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
You can still be the strongest swimmer and still drown, its not like swimming in the sea as it is freshwater, which therefore means less or no bouyancy, it is a great place, but i belive after heavy rainfalls and if then its still dangerous, truth is the water can still pull you under, just cause you have a lifejacket and a helmet, doesnt mean you can not drown,

I have heard from many people (even local dominicans) that it is very dangerous.

But as many have said, the adrenaline rush you get out of this experience is unbeliveable, i definatley wouldnt recommend taking children, or "weak" people., as this is almost a course designed for "survival of the fittest"!

make your own mind up.

Tunit

Mar 12, 2010
It's a tremendous, spectacular natural wonder. But I'll echo what other people have said - it really is dangerous after a few weeks of consistently heavy rain.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You cannot do the falls without a guide from the union, period.

Not 100% about a deal with outside operators, buit I'd be most surprised if a union guide doesn not have to go with them.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is what the website says:

Don't be fooled by cheap competitors. Iguana Mama is the ONLY tour company that will take you all the way up to No.27. Most companies turn back at No.5

Which means no more than the fee you pay includes all 27 falls.
Anybody can do all 27. The price is even posted. Just pay your money.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Anybody can do all 27. The price is even posted. Just pay your money.

Maybe I did not explain myself well enough. The tour company is stating that your fee includes the cost to falls 27, not that the actual tour company rep goes with you. I did the funny buggy tour with them several years back. All the tour company did was drive everyone to the funny buggy site. The funny buggy people took us on the ride. I am quite sure they do the same for the waterfalls tour.

http://27charcos.com/index.php

Waterfall 1 - 7 $250 $200
Waterfall 1 - 12 $310 $230
Waterfall 1 - 27 $460 $290

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We have done the falls both ways, the first time on a nice sunny day with no recent rains and another time after it had rained a couple of days. We will NEVER do it again after it has been raining but on the other hand it is at the top of our list of things to do if there has been no recent rains. Lots of fun for everyone including our 8 year old daughter who was always the first one up each fall and one of the first ones down. The guides were great and definitely earned their money hauling up some much less than athletic folks along for the tour from England who all thought it as a great time.

mcapo

Sep 1, 2009
The falls are not an attraction to miss while on the North Coast and if you are in reasonable physical condition - you'll have no problems completing at least half of them. The guides are great and you don't have to be an olympic swimmer as your level of fitness rather than swimming ability is more important at the falls (i.e. climbing, pulling yourself up, etc.). Generally speaking - ALL of the tour agency groups arrive at the falls and you are only offerred the 1-7 tour. For the more adventerous / thrill-seekers-you will need to arrange your own transportation to the falls rather than with a tour group to experience more than 1-7. Thrill-seekers-complete all 27 of the falls and not only will you be talking about it for years - it will be the highlight (outside of the people) of your vacation.

mcapo

Sep 1, 2009
People also die once in a while in their sleep. IMHO it's probably exponentionally more dangerous walking across the main highway in Sosua than enjoying a great day at the falls.

mcapo

Sep 1, 2009
People only die once in while doing this. Come on, it is fun if you don't.

And if you were that concerned of those that had a relative or friend affected here ----you wouldn't be making cavalier off color poor attempts at humor.

Reactions: bigbird
Status
Not open for further replies.