testing

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I swam briefly in Sosua bay this morning, manuvering around toilet paper, diapers, plastic and garbage.
Does any government agency test for fecal coliform?:paranoid:

If so are those numbers public info?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Wow, was it really that bad??
I have never seen that in all my years.

Could you get a photo of this?

Yuk!!

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I used to swim for two to three hours around the bay and out a fair ways from the bay to the beach in front of the waterfront and back. The water is filthy now. I thought it was a tidal thing, bringing all the garbage from Cherimicos into the bay, so I waited for the tide to change to see whether the garbage would wash out into the ocean....nope

Mar 2, 2008
I visited the beach every day last week, and was in the water almost every day. I saw no signs whatsoever of the garbage problem described by the original poster.

Aside from a few floating plastic bottles tossed by tourists, there was no trash problem in the water or on the beach that I saw.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a bunch of trash being thrown overboard from a diving party boat, and that bunch of trash floated around for a considerable amount of time, but overall, the bay seems fairly clean to me.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
....and you keep getting back in ? the first sign of a diaper and I wouldnt be going back there in a hurry

Sep 22, 2009
The Sosua Ayuntamiento performs regular solid waste analyses, combined with HPLC and Gas Chromatogrophy-Mass Spectrometry testing for heavy metals such as methylated mercury compounds, free gas formations, salt concentration as well as trace elemental diagnostics for various trafficked substances.

Reactions: Tamborista

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am not sure where you were, but we went to the beach on Friday and we even commented on how clean the water was. I cannot remember a day when it was clearer.

Bob K

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I swam briefly in Sosua bay this morning, manuvering around toilet paper, diapers, plastic and garbage.

Aside from a few floating plastic bottles tossed by tourists, there was no trash problem in the water or on the beach that I saw.

Word to the wise,
It's not the tourists throwing garbage and this is why we never go to public beaches on Sunday. Beer bottles, bags, Styrofoam cups.... Check, check, check. You won't see so much of that any other day.

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
I agree, try hiking a local river popular w/locals.Sometimes it almost hurts to look at the amount of trash.