Holiday Inn, Santo Domingo

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks to the fantastic Mr. Dre Broeder from this DR1 forum , we made it safely to Dominicus/Bayahibe on Easter and back to Santo Domingo today. Thanks again, Dre! :)

We checked into the Holiday Inn around 1pm today. The hotel is lovely, and our room is gorgeous. I did go through a great hassle with them claiming that breakfast was not included with the room, though. It took me three visits to the front desk and two long distance cell phone calls to Priority Club (the Holiday Inn loyalty program), in order to get a clue what was going on. I probably spent more on the calls than breakfast is worth, but it's the principle. I want what I booked.
I booked a regular guest room, which includes complimentary buffet breakfast. This is clearly stated under the "Rooms" section on their website. Executive level rooms and suites do not get the complimentary breakfast. With two always hungry teen boys, that buffet breakfast is a huge bonus. Since I am a platinum card holder, someone here in SD had upgraded us to the executive level without telling me. The front desk never told me that we had been upgraded, and it was only on the second lengthy call to Priority Club that a supervisor pointed out that we were in an executive level room. The room is nice, but there is no executive level lounge. I'd rather have the regular room with the breakfast. Finally the front desk here got it straightened out, and we will be given complimentary breakfasts for our stay. That should not have been so difficult for someone here to figure out, however. It's worth noting the difference when booking.
I like the busy area we're in - off Abraham Lincoln. We were able to walk over to the bank to do some business and walk to a great little Pizzarelli just a block over. What's up with the corn on the pizza, though? It was delicious and the manager was super nice, but corn? :cheeky:
I'll write a full report later in the Trip Reports section. :bunny:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm...will have to look into that. I stayed there a few months back and I'm also a platinum member. My breakfast wasn't included, but I didn't even check as I just stayed one night and didn't get up early enough for breakfast anyway. I have found that breakfast at hotels in SDQ is outrageously expensive compared to other places, so it is worth to get the free one.

The little rooftop pool and bar are nice and it looks like they have stuff going on there at night sometimes. Good location. I'm just glad I can now use my points down there.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
Three of us made it to breakfast this morning, as #4 has been sick all day. My older son was bed-ridden all yesterday evening. At least it's a nice hotel, in which to be sick!
Breakfast was a delicious assortment of food, including made-to-order omelettes and pancakes. There was an assortment of breads, fresh fruit, meats, breakfast casseroles, cold cuts, cheeses, juices, and an endless supply of cafe con leche. The restaurant is lovely, as well, and the servers are excellent!
I have no idea how much it costs, as I was never given a menu. We were asked for our room number at the end of our meal, they checked the computer, then said that the breakfast was included with the room. So, we tipped on the value of the excellent service.