Hotel Esmerelda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have seen this hotel mentioned a few times on this site, and knew that it had been closed down for remodelling and had new owners, so I thought I would go and check it out!

It is really nice!! A very pleasant change from the normal large establishments - a boutique hotel with around 50 rooms I think. The rooms are nice, airconditioned, balcony, all mod cons, including fridge and kettle. The gardens are nice, large airy restaurant, outside bar and lovely beach. For someone looking for a nice relaxing place to stay which has a great caribbean flavour - well worth it. Not sure about prices, but I think they have all sorts of flexible packages ranging from all inclusive to room only.

A few pics to follow

matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
2nipici.jpg

1z5ujop.jpg

34xs3ea.jpg

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
exactily where is this hotel in Juan Dolio?

Playa Esmeralda

Guayacanes.

I've been there on AI day passes (12-5pm/ used to be $800RD, now $1,000) many times. The place was mostly used by Italian AI guests. The food was good and the service impeccable. The pool is nice and they have (had, anyway) a grilled pasta station with chef by the pool. There is a private stretch of beach.

The only complaint I had was the beach. It was in serious need of clearance. There are little pieces of reef rock all over the place in the shallows and there's enough seaweed on the floor of the ocean there to make a couple tons of sushi.

New ownership huh? I wonder if they're going to stay the ST/AI route or not. It was a pretty good deal.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is actually in between Juan Dolio and Guayacanes. As you pass the last entrance to Guayacanes coming from the capital the next turn right is Esmerelda