Windscreen Washer boys come to Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The windscreen washer boys have come to Sosua , at the junction outside the big Playero. If you are stopped at the traffic lights be ready for the sponge to be flung on your windscreen and then the demand for cash.

This is personally one of my pet hates and thought that Sosua was immune from it - but no, here they are today!
In Puerto Plata it is impossible to do anything about it as there are so many traffic lights and so many washers. In Sosua I hope it can be stamped out.

How can we stamp it out !

Olly

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you are stopped at the traffic lights be ready for the sponge to be flung on your windscreen and then the demand for cash.
Olly

Ok, I've looked for sponges at Bellon, Ochoa, La Sirena and El Enconto, where are these little rug rats finding them. I need them for new tile work cleaning up the new grout. Maybe they can sell them to these stores since they don't carry them for sale.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Worth a Try

Complain to Politur, AMET and the PN, often, very often. If the boys start making any money it'll be hard to get them outta there.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
oh ****e please dont anyone pay them - we dont want to end up like puerto plata
yeah that's it...keep'em from makin' a buck...then ya wonder why they rob and kill the ex-pats....you won't tip, you hate to pay the shoe shine kids anythin', you hate to drop a coin or two in a beggar's tin--and now it's windshield cleaners.

You moved there to retire. If ya can't afford to help the natives out, maybe it's time to get out! Ehh? Ay? Nyet?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
excuse me !
-no I cant afford to hand out money for things I dont want doing in the first place.
It actually puts me off going to a certain road in Puerta plata.
Maybe they should ask first if you want your windscreen washing

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I agree the windshield/screen washer boys are quite annoying!!! They are scattered all over in santiago and irritates me that they the majority of them throw the sponge on the screen as soon as you stop at the light not even asking permission. At times as soon as I see them I say no and they throw it anyway that ticks me off!! I'm surprised AMET or PN don't get these kids off the streets but then again they might get to keep a percentage of the money that is attained!!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This happened to me today with my scooter.

The kid comes up to me and i said no and he puts soap on my headlight and doesn't clean it off

I always take care of the shoe shine boys etc but trying to clean my headlight on a scooter is a bit much

baby bori

May 18, 2010
it gets out of hand especially when you're visiting the country for a week or two and experience this annoying mishap!!! and like mike said after they put the sponge or soap and you tell them no they don't have the courtesy to clean it!!! that ticks me off!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It also ruins the rain-x coating I put on the windshield to repel the rain drops.

Plus the soap runs down the sides of the windows all over the clean car, so your windshield is clean but now you have soap streaks running down the sides of the car. And they don't give a damn if your windshield is already cleaned or not.

I like to beat them to the windshield when they throw the sponge, grab it and toss it into the traffic that is flowing in the other lanes. If I'm the 1st or 2nd car in the lane and they ignore my "NO", I look to see if I'm at the spot that they have their bucket of soapy water, and dump it out while they are molesting other drivers down the line.

And a note to "pyratt", they mess up my clean car with soap streaks, ignore my 'NO", and still want money, so screw them!

You can see that some of them are drug addicts, so think about your response to those that live here and have to put up with them.

It sounds from the wording of your post that YOU do not live here!

You moved there to retire. If ya can't afford to help the natives out, maybe it's time to get out! Ehh? Ay? Nyet?
So you think it is okay to molest us because we moved here?

That I should give them money at every traffic light I stop at, cleaning the same clean windshield over and over again?

Sosua has it easy, come to Santiago and have to put up with them at every traffic light, and there are many traffic lights in Santiago.

Think also how many traffic light changes there are per hour, per direction, and how much that little bit of change adds up to them in a day.

I'm thinking more money then many that work a regular job make per day, and the regular workers don't molest me at every $^#@ traffic light.

I ALWAYS REFUSE TO GIVE THEM ANYTHING!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: Black Dog

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Do as I do; as soon as I spot the guys I turn the wipers on. If the throw the sponge before I spot them I still turn the wipers on, as it will wipe it away. I works each and every time.

They get the message real quick.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Do as I do; as soon as I spot the guys I turn the wipers on. If the throw the sponge before I spot them I still turn the wipers on, as it will wipe it away. I works each and every time.

They get the message real quick.
I remember reading that awhile back. It works just about all the time. Actually it works ten times better than waving the pointer finger side to side.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I like to beat them to the windshield when they throw the sponge, grab it and toss it into the traffic that is flowing in the other lanes. If I'm the 1st or 2nd car in the lane and they ignore my "NO", I look to see if I'm at the spot that they have their bucket of soapy water, and dump it out while they are molesting other drivers down the line.
Sounds like a wonderful attitude to have to maintain as a retiree, but then you moved to the DR because of the cost effectiveness and the weather...South Florida and the Florida Keys is prolly a lil too pricy eh?

I just find it repulsive to take s $1 sponge from someone who has nothing and toss it away...the real criminals of SoFlo, D.C., NY or Chicago would stuff an old man in the bucket and dump you for that...

I dunno, you have to live with yourself, I couldn't....enjoy pair-o-dice.

Reactions: Vacara

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009

Boy, that language problem is stressing you out.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
next time I see one of them windscreen/windshield washer boys I will toss them a scooby snack!!! the AMET and PN don't do diddley to get them off the streets I could imagine they get their cut of that pocket money!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sounds like a wonderful attitude to have to maintain as a retiree, but then you moved to the DR because of the cost effectiveness and the weather...South Florida and the Florida Keys is prolly a lil too pricy eh?
... and another poster who does not live here and THINKS(?) they know all about those you do live here.

Lived in the Southern half of Florida since 1974 and still OWN (No rent or mortgage) a home and live there part time.

I don't accept molestation from anyone, why should I?

Vacara, like some of your other posts, your last one does not make any sense!

Do have one of those black magic 8 balls, and just turn it over and post what ever it comes up with? Or do you just not have a firm grasp of English?
Boy, that language problem is stressing you out.

PS: "NO" is the same in English and Spanish!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
. How can we stamp it out ! Olly

Window washers is only the latest issue with kids effecting Sosua. On any given night there are over 50 kids or more walking the streets begging, cleaning shoes, and all of them are homeless. They?re sleeping on the sidewalks and in abandon buildings by the dozens. They?re not Dominicans like the ones you find in Puerto Plata throwing soap pads at your car windows. They are Haitians. And for all them that are here and those that are on their way, the real question is what else will they do in order to find a way to eat?

BermudaRum

Mar 2, 2008
I completely agree with jr, Santiagodr, and windeguy on this one.

However, I don't hold the windshield washers completely responsible for the irritation I feel when they try to wash my already washed windshield. I hold the system accountable. There are NO alternative forms of employment to be had. That sucks for everyone involved, and I do not blame the washers for a systemic problem.

That does not mean I have to submit to an overbearing and pushy windshield "washer" however. They are definitely annoying, and I for one will never pay them one red peso for work I did not request them to do.

Reactions: waytogo
Status
Not open for further replies.