Black Widow Spider

Dr.One

Jun 1, 2010
Hi, did anybody know, that there are a lot of Black Widow Spiders here in the country? Dominicans, often don`t even know them. They are really shy animals which won't attack you, but I don't know how poisonous the kind is, that is in this country. They are not black, but gray with black design on the body. Still they have their typical red sign on the belly.

Maybe I can post some photos, till then any information or bite-experience is highly appreciated. I have them everywhere in my vegetables especially Salad and Spinach.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are
Black Widows here. In 50 years, I have seen one and my son Julio found another working on the runway lighting system at the new airport. He called me, described it and it was surely a Black Widow...They are extremely shy and only like dark and damp places.

So, do not go sticking your hand in dark damp places you can't see...okay??

There Are other Black Widows, of which many on this board are thinking about, but I was referring to arachnids...okay??

HB

May 29, 2006
There are dangerous spiders in most countries. I knew a guy who had to go to the hospital after getting bite by a banana spider(in an imported case of bananas) and just last week one of my friends got bite by a brown recluse on her leg. Australia has got some of the worst spiders and they can be very aggressive.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are
Black Widows here. In 50 years, I have seen one and my son Julio found another working on the runway lighting system at the new airport. He called me, described it and it was surely a Black Widow...They are extremely shy and only like dark and damp places.

So, do not go sticking your hand in dark damp places you can't see...okay??

There Are other Black Widows, of which many on this board are thinking about, but I was referring to arachnids...okay??

HB

My brother-in-law has a house up on the mountain road in Ocoa that he uses on weekends. One morning he got a big surprise when he slipped his foot into his loafers - a black widow had curled up in the toe of the shoe.

Now he bangs his shoes on the floor before putting them on :paranoid:

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
those statistics are very weird and Im almost certain are incorrect if you look at the other related deaths

Dr.One

Jun 1, 2010
Brown Widow Spider

Hey thank you for this link, it is exactly this one, and also the egg- (this sea mine looking ball) always helps me to recognize them.
I usually leave all animals alone even the poisonous ones, if they are not near the house or workspace. In the garden and where they accidentally could crawl into a place where I am often, I kill them.
We have reforested very much and there is no usage of insecticide, so I guess they reproduce very good here. I was really surprised that there are so many!

I also used to dig around with my hands in the garden, which I only do now with gloves ;-)

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I live in the countryside and the brown widow spider is very common. I could on any day find five or six just around the house. the black widow spider I have seen probably ten but the juvenile is very difficult to distinguish from the brown widow as they are not brown or black but have a mixture of colors. The egg sacks of the brown widow are like sea minds and the black are round. I have not found them very aggressive but treat them with respect.