3bdrm/2bath/$2500pesos:Where to start looking?

Charles Lowman

Mar 14, 2010
www.starquesteducation.com
Greetings DR1:

I'm looking to rent a 3bdrm/2bth apartment or home in or around Santo Domingo for 1 - 2 years. It seams that many here at DR1 live in the resort areas. Does anyone have any experience living in the SD area? My priorities are:
  • security
  • cleanliness
  • peace/quiet(at least on weekday nights!)
  • family-friendly
  • monthly rent of $25,000pesos or less
Extra but non-essentials: gated community, swimming pool access.

I've seen pictures of some areas that I want to steer clear of. I'm interested in hearing from anyone about specific neighborhoods/regions that I should look at.

Reactions: mike l

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Greetings DR1:

I'm looking to rent a 3bdrm/2bth apartment or home in or around Santo Domingo for 1 - 2 years. It seams that many here at DR1 live in the resort areas. Does anyone have any experience living in the SD area? My priorities are:
  • security
  • cleanliness
  • family-friendly

I've seen pictures of some areas that I want to steer clear of. I'm interested in hearing from anyone about specific neighborhoods/regions that I should look at.

I would suggest you start in Alma Rosa on the east side of the river.. there are a lot of nice little streets and new construction and parks ... should be in your range.....

Reactions: mike l

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I would suggest you start in Alma Rosa on the east side of the river.. there are a lot of nice little streets and new construction and parks ... should be in your range.....

That area has a huge crime rate. Start looking in Evaristo Morales, maybe send Robert a PM. You could find a nice apartment with that budget over there (maybe a little bit more expensive).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Greetings DR1:

• security
  • cleanliness
  • family-friendly

Why are you here? What are you used to back home?
These sort of details will help narrow down the area.

You will find unfurnished 3bd apartment for that amount (US$700) in the better areas as a foreigner. A local negotiating might be able to get up to US$200 of your foreigner price :)

Forget gated or swimming pool access, unless you up your budget.

Better areas:

Naco
Piantini
Julieta
Evaristo Morales
Los Prados
Gazcue
El Milion
Bella Vista
Mirador Sur/Norte
Fernandez
etc etc etc...

You need to be here, you need to be on the ground actively searching.

Have a Dominican or fluent Spanish speaker do the negotiating and initial screening. Only show your face once you're down to your short list.
By then the pricing is known and they will find it a little more difficult to jack the price on you.

Don't hand over one cent until the place is 100% to your liking.
Some landlords will use your deposit to fix up the place, that's fine.
Just make sure that is VERY clear in the lease and no rent will be paid until you're 100% happy etc.

Treat the landlord as if he/she is out to screw you, play hard ball. That way you will not let your guard down. Trust me, they will respect you more for it and your tenancy will be much happier :)

Charles Lowman

Mar 14, 2010
www.starquesteducation.com
Much thanks and appreciation to Annie, ExtremeR, and especially Robert for your timely suggestions. My plan is to have one of my local Dominican associates do the initial "ground-work" and report back to me with the details.

I am coming to ultimately settle in DR. I am retiring from full-time teaching to run a U.S. based business, with plans to eventually set up a subsidiary in DR.

Thanks again, for suggesting so many locations, and for your candid comments regarding the best posture to have towards landlords throughout this process of renting an apartment.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Due to frequent power outages, I would want a generator or inversor to get through the dark times..............

Freemo

May 26, 2003
3 bed 2 Batch apartment

Hi Charles

I have just PM'd you with a suggestion that may be of interest.

Regards,
Paul