Revistas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I checked last month and again 2 weeks ago and was told no, not this year.

Ok who right whoever you checked with or Listin Diario looks like can get at DGTT or the boxing venue here in santo domingo.

But this should be good,all lights front, back, directional, windshield wipers, function perfect jajaja.

looks like I need to buy a first aid kit ,an maybe jumper cables. wonder how many others will have them. is a small fire extinguisher still required????

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
My father-in-law got his revista this past Tuesday in Estadio Quisqueya, Santo Domingo. He had in his car a first aid kit, jumper cables, triangle, a small toolbox and about 10 feet of rope but no fire extinguisher. He told me he was in and out in about 10 minutes.

NotLurking

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
My father-in-law got his revista this past Tuesday in Estadio Quisqueya, Santo Domingo. He had in his car a first aid kit, jumper cables, triangle, a small toolbox and about 10 feet of rope but no fire extinguisher. He told me he was in and out in about 10 minutes.

NotLurking

Thanks for the info, thats about what I figured, have never figured out the fascination with the rope. not sure why you need that???
Lots of folks may have this stuff (borrowed), but still laughing about out the function perfect comment,

Also they mentioned front lights, and direction signals, but nothing on the rear lights, or brake lights working. Wonder if they ensure the radio and horn work? as those are the most important items.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

NotLurking

No where in the world is this stuff required. (Maybe a police patrol car) What is this crap? If the publicos carry that in their trunks, where will they put suitcases and chicken? I hope someone open a rental business.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Laws

No where in the world is this stuff required.

This is just another example how modern Dominican laws are and how people could not care less about them.

However, gringos beware, not complying with the 'revista' requirements could cost you... let's say 100 peso on the spot.... :bunny:

donP

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I went to Puerto Plata with a friend last year(?) and got mine without the requisite safety gear.
My friend sat in the passenger seat and got hers as well... her car, of course, never left Cabarete.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Anyone know if they're available in POP

Yes they are. I went this morning to check and there were lines of people waiting. I returned lunchtime after doing the other things I needed to do, and the whole process took 5 minutes, so pick your time!

They gave me the Haitian car checker 'because he speaks English' ;) - we were all speaking in Spanish at the time. His French is better than his English so the whole thing was done in French :laugh:. Anyhow, the significant info is that he is not into lights or jumper cables but heavily into first aid kits. Mine is well over-supplied, extra sutures and the like for nifty roadside sewing, but it is in an extremely ancient plastic first aid kit sealable bag brought out from UK years ago, so he couldn't believe how well supplied it was. Why didn't I get a new box or bag for it? He couldn't work it out for himself (that if the car got broken into by druggies a new box would attract attention, rather than repel it) so I had to tell him. In French.

If you go at lunchtime there will be fewer people and they are all hot and tired which speeds the process up no end.

Your biggest problem in Puerto Plata will be finding a BanReservas which takes the 45 pesos tax. The main branch in the centre had run out of forms today......

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Your biggest problem in Puerto Plata will be finding a BanReservas which takes the 45 pesos tax. The main branch in the centre had run out of forms today......

do you pay the tax before the inspection, as in get the receipt then the inspection. or after ?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
do you pay the tax before the inspection, as in get the receipt then the inspection. or after ?
Banco de Reservas with your $$ and a photocopy of the matricula. They issue you a receipt. Then to the Obras Publica offices where you present your stuff. Then they send someone out to your car with you to inspect it. What goes on after that is a highly kept secret.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
swellsurf, the guy I had in PP wasn't interested in ropes either ;).

You go to BanReservas first, before inspection. Take RD$45 and your original cedula, which they take the number from & then return. No photocopies needed, neither of cedula nor matricula. Any BanReservas which hasn't run out of the DGII formulario will do :cheeky:. Then you go to Transport Terrestre at Obras Publicas with copy of matricula & insurance front sheet. I took a copy of my cedula as well but it was given back to me. You also take the BanReservas receipt showing you have paid your RD$45 impuestos.

This was the proceedure effective at Puerto Plata today. The highly kept secret :) which Eddy refers to is the small sweetener which makes any inadvertent omissions (like jumper cable, rope, etc etc) disappear poof! as the nice young man sticks the revista inside your windscreen. Most locals who do this leave it in an obvious place on the dashboard, then all you do is nod towards it imperceptibly when you are at the car with the checker. The 2010-11 revistas are triangular, btw.

I'm spelling this out because I've had a number of PM & email queries & I hope this answers all of them.

Remember that exact proceedure will vary with which office you go to, what time of day it is, how long the line is, the mood of the staff and possibly how much you look like you know the ropes. It is absolutely nothing to worry about, couldn't be simpler and the 'universal solution' appears 100% effective ;).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Aug 21, 2007
Got mine today. BanReservas in Sosua didn't have the forms. I headed to Puerto Plata anyway. Got a brainstorm. There is a BanReservas in Playa Dorado. My bet was that they would have the form. I was right.

Arrived at the Revista Place at noon and it was crowded. However, being the only woman and a gringo, I was scooped up right away and walked through the process. As we were standing in line, a Dominican woman arrived and cut in front of me without a "ticket." The men behind me pitched a fit.

My front and back lights were checked, as were my turn signals. I went to open the back to show my safety equipment (was missing a rope and triangle, though) and the man checking looked confused why I would even open the boot and simply said no.

The process from start to finish took about 10-15 minutes, even with the crowd. And now, I am proudly displaying my new triangle!

Lindsey

Reactions: BermudaRum

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Got mine today. BanReservas in Sosua didn't have the forms. I headed to Puerto Plata anyway. Got a brainstorm. There is a BanReservas in Playa Dorado. My bet was that they would have the form. I was right.

Arrived at the Revista Place at noon and it was crowded. However, being the only woman and a gringo, I was scooped up right away and walked through the process. As we were standing in line, a Dominican woman arrived and cut in front of me without a "ticket." The men behind me pitched a fit.

My front and back lights were checked, as were my turn signals. I went to open the back to show my safety equipment (was missing a rope and triangle, though) and the man checking looked confused why I would even open the boot and simply said no.

The process from start to finish took about 10-15 minutes, even with the crowd. And now, I am proudly displaying my new triangle!

Lindsey

Thanks Lindsey, your brain storming worked for me as well. However, I seem to be one day late. Puerto Plata is out of stock as of today. The word is maybe by next Mon. or Tues they will have more available.

BermudaRum

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks Lindsey, your brain storming worked for me as well. However, I seem to be one day late. Puerto Plata is out of stock as of today. The word is maybe by next Mon. or Tues they will have more available.

BermudaRum, are you talking about the BanReservas formularios or the revista itself? If the formulario & Playa Dorada BanReservas is out of them, there is another BanReservas near the old Silverio Messon supermarket, opposite Tienda Jimenez. That's where I got my formulario on June 19th.

Status
Not open for further replies.