Logistics/Hotel Suggestions near Ikea and Ilumel

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We are thinking of going from Sosua to check out furniture at Ikea and Illumel
by Metro and possibly staying over 1 night. Is there a hotel or good area to stay in nearby. Any help on logistics as to how to get from Metro bus station to Ikea or Illumel, what order to go to them would make sense etc.
Thanks in advance for any help!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The new Holiday Inn - the first in the country - is right there.
Almost next door to Ilumel. Ikea is just up the street.... short taxi ride.

Don't know the prices

WW

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
William, Thanks for the info. Just looked up the Holiday Inn. Lowest price is $148 per night. Highest is $245.
We've never been to the Colonial District. If we decided to stay there how much would cabs/publicos cost?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William, Thanks for the info. Just looked up the Holiday Inn. Lowest price is $148 per night. Highest is $245.
We've never been to the Colonial District. If we decided to stay there how much would cabs/publicos cost?

Its a distance... let an SD resident help you..... public transportation will be available, I'm sure.

Zona Colonial is great..... long way from those stores but still doable.
More to do at night in ZC

WW

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You can get a decent room near the Colonial District for $60 a night. Taxis will cost $RD150-200.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
IKEA is HUGE and unless you have really studied their catalogue and know exactly what you want it is going to be an all day adventure....!!!

Illuminel is also pretty big-- 4 floors... and can take the better part of a day...

Now if you have ACTUALLY NEVER been to the ZONA (I am always surprised and bit shocked by this!) then I would suggest that you book into the Dona Elvira.. which advertises here on DR1 and is a lovely restored colonial home with a center pool and a charming staff-- GREAT location... runs about $80 a night, with breakfast, I think... and soak up a bit of the history of the country.

I think that even the Jaragua or Melia are cheaper than $240 a night!!! check on line... both very elegant hotels on the Malecon with pools....

The Metro is a north south line to Villa Mella and will not actually get you where you want to go but is a neat ride for the adventure of it.

Taxis (call Apolo at 809 537 0000) cost $150 from about anywhere to anywhere ....

But I would not try to do both stores in one day in a quick overnight...

I think that is perhaps why people so often fail to appreciate the Capital-- they just come here to "get things done" and are in a huge rush and do not take the time to look around and relax and enjoy the City. They stress themselves and then when they get back to the beach towns only remember the stress.

Pace yourself

Enjoy a great restuarant. Go to the Museo de Casas Reales. Soak up the place.

You will have more of an appreciation for the place where you live.

And be less stressed.

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for the information. Will probably do at least 1 overnight. Looking for 2 modern or at least clean line nightstands and maybe an entryway table. I've been to Ikea in the states. Would like to see the Colonial District. If anyone needs similar help on the North Coast Sosua or Cabarete i.e restaurants, hotels, shopping, transportation, swimming or snorkeling feel free to PM me.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for the information. Will probably do at least 1 overnight. Looking for 2 modern or at least clean line nightstands and maybe an entryway table. I've been to Ikea in the states. Would like to see the Colonial District. If anyone needs similar help on the North Coast Sosua or Cabarete i.e restaurants, hotels, shopping, transportation, swimming or snorkeling feel free to PM me.

Since you have been to IKEA in the states the one in Santo Domingo is the exact same thing. Don't know if you have read these threads but you may enjoy them. One of the posts (you have to search) gives a link to the IKEA SD online catalog.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/102243-ikea-dr-vs-us.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/100814-ikea-its-huge.html

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Sounds like Ilumel will offer what you're looking for better than Ikea.
They have a broader choice.

WW

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Actually I found Illuminell to be overly heavy--- more towards the Spanish colonial style with very few modern pieces and much more expensive.. But probably higher quality. Of course, chaqu'un a son gout....

I am glad that you are going to see the Zona.. I think it should be obligatory for anyone who is going to live here (that and a baseball game)!!! Gives a broader picture -- more respect for the country, if you will...of course, for Europeans the age is nothing, but for us Yanks, it is good to note the 16th century architecture.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
MtAnnie
Anything we bought at Ilumel was more modern than Spanish.... We found a good selection.
We also found HUGE discounts this time of year... 50% off in most cases.
We bought and had it held until the house was finished.....3-4 months. They were very obliging

Don't forget that good store just outside Santiago...Mobel (Ithink)

WW

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
MtAnnie
Anything we bought at Ilumel was more modern than Spanish.... We found a good selection.
We also found HUGE discounts this time of year... 50% off in most cases.
We bought and had it held until the house was finished.....3-4 months. They were very obliging

Don't forget that good store just outside Santiago...Mobel (Ithink)

WW

great-- they did not have much when I was there-- guess they caught on when they saw the Ikea catalogue!!