Can I buy a box of cigars at the airport

hahm74

May 7, 2007
We'll be flying into the airport in Santo Domingo and then making our way to the southwest. At the end of our trip we'll be in Jarabacoa and plan to visit a cigar factory in or around Santiago. However, I'm sure my husband will want to enjoy a few cigars before the end of our trip. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a box of dominican cigars right when we arrive. I've read that you have to be careful about ending up with fakes. My husband will know the difference, so where can we get the real deal? About how much can you expect to pay for a box of cigars - leon jimenez or something similar? Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Cigars are sold in the duty free stores in the departure area of the airport. Don't recall seeing any place to buy them when you arrive. Where are you spending the first night? When you lleave the airport, what is your first destination? Perhaps if we know a little more about your plans, somebody can make a suggestion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you're heading out on 27 de Febrero towards the sw, stop at Plaza Lama [corner Churchhill], they have the supermarket downstairs and there is a humidor along the front wall in front of the cash registers. You can buy some there to hold him over.

AE

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Thanks for the info. We will be driving on 27 de Febrero as we head to the SW. We'll be staying near Bahoruco that night. Would we find authentic cigars at Plaza Lama?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You can find them at all the large supermarkets (Plaza Lama, La Sirena, Nacional, Jumbo, etc). I think you're pretty safe buying Leon Jimenes or Auroras anywhere you find them...I've never heard of anyone counterfeiting those. If he prefers Montecristo, Romeo & Julieta, Fonseca, Davidoff, Cohiba, Partagas, Macanudo, etc. Just look for the PROCIGAR hologram on the underside of the box to ensure they are authentic.

LJ and Auroras Robustos (5x50) run about 100 -125 pesos each, or about 2000 -2500 pesos a box.

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Thanks a lot guys. My husband will now have a wonderful vacation! :squareeye