Renewing permanent residency

bigfish

Jul 10, 2007
I would like an update on the procedure to renew my permanent residency. Where can it be renewed, can I renew it before it expires, what do I need to bring, how much should I expect to pay, and what is the procedure once I am at the renewal location? Thank you.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Mike,

Besides the $2,500 pesos for renewal, did you have to pay $100 pesos for the one (1) page questionnaire (Formularia)?

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: waytogo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, I had to go to the capital when I renewed last month. I paid a total of about RD$6,000 including fee + VIP + form + 6 month overdue fee (RD$250 per month).

All you need to bring is enough cash to cover the fees, preferably in small notes because they will say they don't have change for large notes, your residency card, your passport number - you have to enter it on the form but don't have to show the passport, and your spouse's c?dula number if applicable.

Bring snacks and drinks, a book, and a small dose of patience. :)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks Chiri,
with so many Expats living in the far from the Capital's East such office is due to exist since loooong.
so I will do it the same way as usually every 2 years.
I stuff the residency card illegally in a envelope, send it with Metro to my lawyer in st dgo on a monday, the same week friday I receive the same way back my new card. for that I deposit 5.000.- pesos on her bank account at banco popular afterwards, that includes the renewal Fee, her Fee, no extra VIP fee needed, no snacks and more important, no full day away from my work, no hated travel to st domingo, I really hate Cities in General, no 3000.- pesos in Gas costs for the Car, no stress.
maybe for the afterwards next reno in 2 1/2 years from now we have such office here on the east.
now in september I need also to renew my Cedula, darn, a full renewal year, and my Lawyer told me that she can't renew the cedula for me, I have to travel myself for that one, at least that's due only every 6 years, acceptable.
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mike, someone told me there was a c?dula renewal place in B?varo or was that only for voters? Otherwise isn't there one in Higuey or La Romana?

I hate going to the capital too and delayed it until I had several other good reasons to go there, hence the six-month overstay. Actually I didn't notice till March that it had expired in December. Either way, RD$250 per month is not such a high price to pay.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's correct,
the overstay fee is nothing,
but I keep my paperwork always up to date for several reasons.
connected to the Residency are many other documents like my dominican drivers license, my Gun Permits etc etc,
during an overstay driving without a valid license would Null the car insurance as a simple example, and to run several businesses I would feel uncomfo not to have all paperwork up to date.
I agree on the Travels to the Capital, I hate them, too.
about the Residency renewal which I have to do in September now I asked my lawyer a few weeks back and been told that one I have to do personally, her help not needed, and as a foreigner from the East I have to do so in St Dgo.
time for the East to get such stuff running, yes.
Mike

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Cedula renewal for foreign residents only is done in the capital at the JCE building facing the rotary at far eastern end of Av 27.

You must have a valid and up to date residence card in order for them to issue/renew a cedula.

Cedula renewal for citizens can be done at the JCE office at Plaza Tronco on Av Espana in Bavaro or in Higuey at the municipal office.

Regards,
PJT

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and brand new to me , too,
got the notice 30 minutes ago.
Chiri,
feel free to make it a new topic under Cedula renewal for foreigners and Dominicans in Bavaro/PC.
we have a new office of the JCE here,
Plaza Tronco at Friusa crossing.
you go there with your up to date Residency card and your soon expiring or already expired Cedula and fill in their Form and you get a paper that states that you renewed your cedula.
they still do not issue the new cedulas but will start with that soon,
i've been told they will announce in the newspapers when they start to print the new cards.
that is for Dominican Citizens and Expats to renew their Cedulas alike.
I had here at my place my Belgium friend Kurt with the large family visiting this afternoon and he did exatly that renewal process for his cedula there a few weeks back.
that's one of the best notices of the year for me,
an other hated travel day less to the Capital and it's wannabe's, lol.
cheers
Mike

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I have just get my permanent resident card changed from temporary resident card last week.When waiting, I spoke with a chinese guy who renew his resident card. He told me he heard the card could be renewed for 10 years and you have to pay more. Can some body confirm this?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so that's still 1250 pesos per year,
just that you pay the full 10 years in advance.
but to have it for the next 10 years in a row does not sound any bad to me, no more travels to the Capital every 2 years etc etc.
I am due for the next reno end of the year and will consider such prepayment.
Mike

kathykat

Jul 2, 2010
Okay I have two questions after reading the replies here. 1. What is a Credula?? 2. Mike you mentioned gun permits. How difficult is it to get a permit for a gun in the DR. I am moving there in a couple of months and own a hand gun here in Canada. I assumed I would not be able to bring it with me. Can guns easily be purchased there and do they need to be registered?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a cedula is the national/local ID Card in the DR.
you get that when finishing the Residency process.
it is the ID used to deposit checks in a bank etc etc etc, like other countries use their drivers licence or card of social security as a ID which you need to carry around 24/7, it is a plastic card of the size of a credit card.
no, you can not Import your Canadian firearm to the DR, the DR stopped importations of firearms in august 2006, no new nor used ones imported since then, not even by licenced Gun Dealers.
for that reason there are no NEW Model firearms on the market available, the newest models are 2006 models, and for the same reason the cost of a used Brand firearm like for example the Berettas 92FS cost a minimum of $%KUS while the same Gun would be available in a Miami Gunshop brand new for around 1200 bucks, at least that been the rate when I purchased the last one there to import it to the DR to get registered here, but that been in 2002, I don't know how much more or less the same Piece costs today in Miami.
of course each firearm needs to get registered to be legal.
you can not get a Gun Permit without a Permanent Residency.
Mike

Reactions: Tamborista

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just saw the misstyping due the wrong language keybord used in my post above about the usual going rate for such Beretta as a used one here in DR.
it been meant around 5KUS$ and Up.
cheers
Mike