Travel from La Romana to Las Galeras (Samana)

Baree

Jul 16, 2010
Who can help me with directions to drive from La Romana to Las Galeras (Samana)?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
two ways
1) go up to Sabana de la Mar and take the ferry across and catch a guagua to Las Galeras.
2) rent a car (gulp!) and go to Santo Domingo, turn right just past the toll booth and take the highway (tolls!!! and lots of them) up to Nagua and then to Samana. This is about a 6-7 hour hike for experienced drivers.

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have driven from La Romana to Nagua on the new highway a few times, and that was a little over 3 hours. I would say you can get to Las Galeras by car in less than 5 by the route HB gave, and that's staying within shootin range of the speed limit. The roads to Sabena de la Mar are (or at least were) really bad. I would estimate it would take about 4 hours to drive there and then you would still have the ferry to Samana and from there to Las Galeras by whatever means. IMHO, it is a much riskier trip on bad roads, whereas you could drive all the way via the new highway on almost all good roads.

Coming from La Romana, the turnoff for the Samana toll road is just past the airport, and well before Santo Domingo. There are 3 toll stops on the way, and the total is something less than RD400. Almost exactly 10USD. You connect with the North Coast Highway at Nagua, and from there East to Samana and on to Las Galeras.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt: How long??? The issue is driving from Punta Cana. Here is my estimate which may be off a bit.
Punta Cana-> Higuey 1 hour
Higuey-> La Romana 1:30 (maybe 1:00)

So my quesstimate is not too far off, is it?? And that is for folks that know the twists and turns...

HB

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Punta Cana (from the end of Veron) to La Romana town is 95 minutes (@ av. 50mph).

From La Romana head towards Santo Domingo on highway 3 and take the new Samana highway just after the toll booth (you don't pay going in that direction) in the video below. It's the only toll booth between La Romana & Santo Domingo so you can't miss it. See video below for Samana exit. The sign is small and easy to miss.
YouTube - Nagua Connection

btw ferry at Sabana de la Mar is passenger only, and like other posters have said, the road to there is really bad.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Trying to figure out how Punta Cana got interjected into this thread when the OP is traveling from La Romana to Las Galeras.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In part it was my bad...Sorry...

Anyway that trip is not that bad and from La Romana it is a piece of cake, really. I don't think that there are any tricky turns....

Just go east until you hit the toll booth and then follow the signs to Samana....

HB

two ways
1) go up to Sabana de la Mar and take the ferry across and catch a guagua to Las Galeras.
2) rent a car (gulp!) and go to Santo Domingo, turn right just past the toll booth and take the highway (tolls!!! and lots of them) up to Nagua and then to Samana. This is about a 6-7 hour hike for experienced drivers.

HB

HB you are usually spot on but you must be one slow driver!!!! :) From Romana to Galeras about 3-4 hours depending on beer stops. The tolls arent so bad under 500 pesos and saves so many hours off the previous way thru SanFrancisco and then to Nagua out to Samana. Step on the pedal HB ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are old drivers and there are fast drivers. There are very, very few old and fast drivers in this country...
I figured an hour to the toll booths, another hour and a half to the end of the toll road and an hour and a half out to Las Galeras...
I do not know how I got Punta Cana involved in there in the first place???? Oh well...

HB

There are old drivers and there are fast drivers. There are very, very few old and fast drivers in this country...
I figured an hour to the toll booths, another hour and a half to the end of the toll road and an hour and a half out to Las Galeras...
I do not know how I got Punta Cana involved in there in the first place???? Oh well...

HB

First the heavy foot on the pedal goes then the mind starts to slip.:cheeky:;)