an interesting fruit

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
http://hubpages.com/hub/Medicinal-Uses-of-Papaya

its seems there are a lot of uses for this humble old fruit.

Apparently wrapping your meat in the leaves will make it tender and you can grind the dried seeds in a pepper mill to make papaya pepper or use the fruit together with pineapple and oats as an exfoliating facial scrub or use the bark as rope.......so a variety of uses

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
http://hubpages.com/hub/Medicinal-Uses-of-Papaya

its seems there are a lot of uses for this humble old fruit.

Apparently wrapping your meat in the leaves will make it tender and you can grind the dried seeds in a pepper mill to make papaya pepper or use the fruit together with pineapple and oats as an exfoliating facial scrub or use the bark as rope.......so a variety of uses

Must be raining there too if you are researching the endless benefits of papaya!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
yes its raining - and you can throw out your old tea towel that you wrap meat in and replace with papaya leaves

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
T.P.Lucas, after years of research as a botanist with professional experience, stated in his 1906 handbook that he believed that the papaw was the finest antiseptic yet discovered. The antiseptic properties accelerated the cleaning of wounds. He believed that the properties of the papaw tree (Carica Papaya) made it one of the most outstanding trees in the world.

Lucas Papaw Ointment may be used as a local topical application on the following:
* Abscesses Boils
* Bruises
* Burns
* Carbuncles
* Chafings
* Cuts
* Cysts
* Dry and Cracked skin on hands and feet
* Gravel rash
* Heat rash
* Insect stings
* Mosquito bites
* Open wounds
* Pimples
* Scalds
* Sunburn
* Swelling associated with injury
* Splinters and thorns
* Tinea
* Whitlow

Also:
* Nappy Rash and Cracked Nipples
* Temporary relief of the symptoms of dermatitis and eczema
* Temporary relief of the discomfort of haemorrhoids by local application.

Papaw or Papaya we all know as a delicious fruit, but the beneficial qualities of Papaw greatly aid the skin.

Lucas Papaw Ointment is made in Australia from pure papaws.

Lucas Papaw Ointment cleans away infectious wastes. Papaw contains Papain which helps clean wounds.

The base used in Lucas Papaw ointment is certified to be free of carcinogens. The ointment is approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration as being fit for human use.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I just eat Papaya with a little lime juice over it, really good for the digestive system.

Belgiank hates the fruit btw.

And no, its not raining here...not yet :bunny:

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
Good In Smoothies

We always have more papaya in smoothies than any other fruit. It's good to hear it's as good for us as it tastes.
The "pepper" from ground seeds sounds interesting.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
MountainNannie, good luck finding it "over the counter (OTC)" in the US. All the big pharmaceutical companies want the cash that prescription drugs bring.

Usually prescribed- Brand names "Accuzyme" and "Ethezyme"

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered companies to stop marketing unapproved drug products that contain papain in a topical dosage form. Firms marketing any unapproved topical papain products must stop manufacturing these products by November 24, 2008"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
MountainNannie, good luck finding it "over the counter (OTC)" in the US. All the big pharmaceutical companies want the cash that prescription drugs bring.

Usually prescribed- Brand names "Accuzyme" and "Ethezyme"

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered companies to stop marketing unapproved drug products that contain papain in a topical dosage form. Firms marketing any unapproved topical papain products must stop manufacturing these products by November 24, 2008"

well, there goes the papaya cream business!
wow things are really getting bad there when they ban papaya cream.
but they could still make it and export to the rest of the world...

Would it be banned in the EU as well?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
will refer this papaya cream to our 2 nurturing mothers, in the hope that this cream will save me from having them cool their "cracked":bunny: nipples in my jacuzzi...

May 29, 2006
One of my friends in Guatemala says the seeds are suppose to prevent intestinal worms and I think she even said that it is suppose to prevent pregnancy if you eat enough of them.

Papayas are a great fruit. I'm staying in an area with some good international markets and the papayas are cheap and good quality. I usually buy them and cut them into cubes to freeze for batidas. I think a batida de lechosa is about one of the best remedies for a hang-over there is. It's loaded with enzymes, electrolytes and vitamins. A little rum in a batida is pretty nice too!

Need to make some papaya ice cream sometime....

For those wanting papain, all you need to do is get some meat tenderizer. It's the same stuff...

May 29, 2006
Got some papaya flavored yogurt at an international store down in DC. They also had mango, passion fruit and guava flavors. Pretty good stuff and no artifical colors or favors.