President Fernandez in Cuba?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It is reported on the DR1.com/News that President Fernandez President left the DR today to discuss "issues on the bilateral and regional agenda." The News goes on to state:

"Diario Libre reports that President Fernandez would serve as a mediator in a regional international conflict. The trip had not been planned. Diario Libre says that for President Fernandez to travel to Cuba, Vice President Rafael Alburquerque, who was in San Salvador participating in the Extraordinary Meeting of Heads of State and Government of the Central American Integration System (SICA) had to prematurely return to the country. A trusted source had also told Listin Diario that Fernandez would mediate in Cuba on matters of interest to the United States."

Does anyone have an idea or two as to what's going on, or have any more information on this?

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Information, no, just as much as the next guy.

But, if i had to bet some cash, I would say he is negotiating an end to Cuba's embargo and laying down US conditions for doing so.

Why do i say this. Well as HB mentioned he just checked in with El Matatan del Norte (Obama) and Cuba, not so coincidentally released a bunch of political prisoners that same week. Moreover, the Cuban Govt announced that it MAY free ALL people who "are not charged of murder".

The way i read that, is basically a wink and nod to the US AND A to take boot off its throat. But thats just my guess/prediction. Embargo ends this year.

Carry on.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
He should drop the international suit and give a few walks in middle class neighbourhood to see what is going on in his own country.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
He should drop the international suit and give a few walks in middle class neighbourhood to see what is going on in his own country.
Trying to solve other country's problems and meanwhile his people are starving. Nice.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Remember that he is paving his way for a high rank position in the UN. Negotiating the end of the Cuba embargo will look great on his resume.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Remember that he is paving his way for a high rank position in the UN. Negotiating the end of the Cuba embargo will look great on his resume.

I hadn't forgotten about that, ExtremeR, but it does make sense in this context. But, give this a thought, LF could play an interesting international role, particularly in the Latin American arena, similar to what Bill Clinton is doing, while his wife is President of the DR [which, forgive me for suggesting it, can not be a significant set up from US Secretary of State]. He has already established the relationships with the US, the Castros, Chavez, and Preval. He will be well on his way to being seen as THE regional power player if he pulls of a reconciliation between Cuba and the US, even if he is only acting as an intermediary between Obama and the Castros. I cannot imagine that he is not bored with the DR presidency, even though I also cannot imagine that he is anxious to relinquish control, particularly after the PLD takeover in the last election.