Cheapest Airport transfer to Samana from POP airport?

dutchie

Jul 24, 2010
What is the cheapest way to get to Samana from the airport located in Puerta Plata? I'm be looking for a hotel or resort in the area but the taxi rates are ridiculously high! It's close to 300$US for a round trip so I might skimp on lodging.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What is the cheapest way to get to Samana from the airport located in Puerta Plata? I'm be looking for a hotel or resort in the area but the taxi rates are ridiculously high! It's close to 300$US for a round trip so I might skimp on lodging.

They have a local bus which will take there

Stay at some inexpensive hotel in Sosua and inquire within and you will reach your destination the next day

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
The taxi is about $180 each way. But there are 2 busses daily from the town of puerta plata to the town of samana. But they are super early, like 6 and 7am. So I agree with Mike, it us worth it to stay the night near the airport. I like Cabarete better than Sosua.

We have a small bed & breakfast in las galeras if you are still looking for a hotel. Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras

Enjoy your stay!

Catherine

dutchie

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion guys!
Mike, I'd rather not overnight and just head straight to my destination in Las Terrenas.:cheeky: Unfortunately, my time will be limited in the DR.:eek:gre:
Catherine, thanks for all the info you provided but I will not be in Las Galeras... maybe some other time when I revisit, I will sure to make your place my stay.

I decided to bite the bullet and will pay for a taxi since the bus schedule is sparse and the buses are usually crowded, which will be a pain with luggage and all.

How do I get to El Limon from Las Terreras? Can I use a quad to get there on the road or do I have to hire a driver to get to the basepoint of the falls?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You can easily take a quad from Las Terrenas to El Limon. Its about 10Ks. There are a number of places to access the falls. You can also book a tour in Las Terrenas which will be all inclusive to the falls and back. Instead of paying ridiculous rates from Puerta Plata Airport, consider renting a car. It is not that difficult to get around and for $300 you could rent a compact car for close to a week.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can easily take a quad from Las Terrenas to El Limon. Its about 10Ks. There are a number of places to access the falls. You can also book a tour in Las Terrenas which will be all inclusive to the falls and back. Instead of paying ridiculous rates from Puerta Plata Airport, consider renting a car. It is not that difficult to get around and for $300 you could rent a compact car for close to a week.

I agree..... its almost a straight shot from POP to Las Terranas... last few miles is the toughest

Turn left out of POP and keep on until you see signs... 3-4 hours
Like Peter Pan.... Go to the first star and keep on 'til morning
Wendy and Nana will be there......

WW

dutchie

Jul 24, 2010
I don't think renting and driving a car is a good idea for me. I've never been to the DR before and I don't know the rules of the road in this country...I have heard it's a nightmare, especially if you don't have much experience driving in the DR.

How do I get to El Limon from Las Terrenas? Is there a main road with signs? Are the roads mainly dirt?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where you are talking about driving is not too severe... SD and the bigger cities are nightmares.

You should be fine on the north coast.... pretty simple.

Suit yourself.....maybe others can bolster your confidence

WW

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
El Limon

The road is paved from Las Terrenas to the town of El Limon and in good condition. Once you get to the town of El Limon you will need to go to one of the paradas to take a trail either by walking or horseback to the falls.

Have fun!!

C.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
How do I get to El Limon from Las Terreras? Can I use a quad to get there on the road or do I have to hire a driver to get to the basepoint of the falls?

If you only want to see the waterfalls, the cheapest way is the guagua to El Limon.

For the beaches around El Limon I recommend you a quad, the roads/ways are not difficult to drive.

Saludos