Passenger ferry questions

Momark

Jul 27, 2010
I understand there is a ferry from Sabana de la Mar to Samana that operates 4 times a day and that the trip is around 1-1 1/2 hours. The various source information I have read indicates that the boats vary in soundness and the schedule is erratic.
Can anyone tell me from experience whether this service is safe and reliable both in terms of boat condition, safety equipment and schedule?
We are returning to Punta Cana this fall on a free trip but our desire is to explore the Samana Peninsula instead of lounging at an all-inclusive. My alternative is to use frequent flyer miles into SD and bus or drive up to the peninsula but would prefer using Punta Cana airport and busing to Sabana de la Mar to catch the ferry. Any comments as to which plan is best in terms of ease, efficiency and dependability?
As a first time poster, I thank you in advance for your consideration.

Reactions: jrhartley

vlokje

May 13, 2004
The ferry leaves in time no problems there.Be in time it can get very full.It is safe, however there are no life jackets.The trip can be un comfortable when it is raining and all have to sit inside with the diesel fumes.Howevercan be very nice on good days.All in all going from Punta Cana by road to Samana or by Ferry will take just as long more or less.Maybe you can do both,up one way down the other,

Vlokje

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you are the adventure type and can cope with the irregularities of Dominican transport logistics, then going to Samana via Punta Cana may be an experience.

Keep this in mind for your decision making. The ferry is a passenger ferry only, there is no accomodation for 4 wheel vehicles. The logistics of going from Punta Cana to Sabana del Mar is trying for a local and tricky for the uninformed. The best way to get from Punta Cana to Sabana del Mar is by domestic air. The second best way is via taxi, however the rate is going to be very high (US$ 200 estimated), travel time will be 3.5 -5 hours depending on road conditions, some sections are unimproved or in disrepair. If you transit by bus, expect the logistics to be Punta Cana - Higuey, Higuey - Hato Major, Hato Major - Sabana del Major. Each transit leg is via a different transit company in buses meant for local transit only, you will have to pay extra for the seat to place your luggage on. If your plane arrival at PUJ is late morning or afternoon do not expect to get to Samana that day using surface transportation. If you rent a car, you need to travel from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo to Las Americas Highway to use the new toll road that transits from there directly to Samana.

Your best reasonable option in terms of use of time and economy with less hassle and worry is to fly into Santo Domingo and rent a car. The toll highway to Samana is a short distance from the airport.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There are fixed wing flights from Punta Cana to Samana via Destination Takeoff Services, ( Home ). Helidosa Turistic Excursions via helicopter ( www.turistic.heledosa.com ) does offer charter flights, however fare and destination information is lacking.

Regards,
PJT

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
There should be a daily scheduled flight from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas with Aerodomca - Bienvenido al Website de Aerodomca / ventas@aerodomca.com

If you want to drive, fly into Las Americas (SDQ) in Santo Domingo and rent a car.
Two hours to Las Terrenas, two hours to Samana itself, 2 & 1/2 hours to Las Galeras.
The drive is along the new hwy and is relativity easy, just do not do it after dark.

Trust this helps

LT

donP

Dec 14, 2008
SD - LG in 150 min.?

__ Santo Domingo and rent a car.
Two hours to Las Terrenas, two hours to Samana itself, 2 & 1/2 hours to Las Galeras.
I think those driving times are underestimated.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think those driving times are underestimated.

donP

Not by too much.. maybe.

About 1 hour to the end of the toll road from Las Americas (SDQ) then turn right.... 1 hour plus a little bit to Samana or LT

Trick is whether to go to LT "over the top" or "around the back" way
I found "Over the Top" last time to be painful b/c they aren't spending money on that road --- waiting for the new one.

Isn't it projected to open this fall?

Overall..... 2 - 2 1/2 hrs should do it.... don't you think?

WW

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Yep... From experience (last Thursday) Santo Domingo (down town) to Las Terrenas an easy 2 hours door to door, would think the same for Samana. Las Galeras ?, you might have to add a bit more as there is apparently plenty of road construction so there are waiting periods.
The "Over the Top" road is being redone now, it's much larger/wider ( a good thing) but in need of re-surfacing, still quicker than going around.
Lots of work on the new road between Las Terrenas and El Catey from the Las Terrenas side, Opening date ??, end of the year or early summer ?. always a wait and see thing.

Momark

Jul 27, 2010
Thank you all very much for the excellent replies.
It would appear that the SD to Samana route is easier and quicker. We now must decide on a rental or taking a bus, which we think will add more local flavor. I understand that we would have to take a taxi from the airport to catch the northbound bus, likely Caribe Tours unless you suggest a better alternative.
Again, I appreciate all the detailed advice. Such helpfulness makes this an invaluable and enjoyable site.

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
I know that the ferry is not a car ferry, so it's not possible to take his car... but what about motorcycles? Does anyone know if its possible to take a motorcycle on the ferry?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have seen pictures of 50 cc Hondas on board the ferries. You should know that the ferries don't dock, per se, at Sabana de la Mar. You are 'ferried" out to the ferry in small boats...so it might be risky...glub glub...

HB