SPIRIT Airlines Advisory !!!!!

Feb 15, 2005
If you decide to travel with Spirit Airlines and have to make a stop over in Fort Lauderdale PLEASE be advised that upon your return into the U.S. you WILL have to exit customs and re-enter the check point. What does this mean??

Well it means that if you buy liquor in any of the duty free zones within DR airports you will NOT be allowed to re-enter with them on your connecting flight in FL. So, if you do not have space in your luggage upon exiting Customs at FL, and you do NOT have a carry-on you WILL be forced to chuck your liquor.

If you do have a carry-on, be prepared to pay an additional $25 dollars to check your carry-on negating whatever savings you may have realized in the duty free zone.

In short, whatever savings you THINK you have with SPIRIT, think again, unless you fly for $9.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you decide to travel with Spirit Airlines and have to make a stop over in Fort Lauderdale PLEASE be advised that upon your return into the U.S. you WILL have to exit customs and re-enter the check point. What does this mean??

Well it means that if you buy liquor in any of the duty free zones within DR airports you will NOT be allowed to re-enter with them on your connecting flight in FL. So, if you do not have space in your luggage upon exiting Customs at FL, and you do NOT have a carry-on you WILL be forced to chuck your liquor.

If you do have a carry-on, be prepared to pay an additional $25 dollars to check your carry-on negating whatever savings you may have realized in the duty free zone.

In short, whatever savings you THINK you have with SPIRIT, think again, unless you fly for $9.

Does this not happen with ALL the airlines who clear customs there? This is not the regs of the airline but of the US who will not let you fly with any liquids on your person or carry on.

Feb 15, 2005
Does this not happen with ALL the airlines who clear customs there? This is not the regs of the airline but of the US who will not let you fly with any liquids on your person or carry on.

This is true, BUT, Spirit charges for every piece of luggage you check in, negating whatever savings you think you a realizing. I found their service to be inadequate and they charge for coffee, water and $5 sodas on the flights.

Where's the savings?

Feb 7, 2007

Yes, that's the case in US, Canada, AND most of Europe. In the majority of European airports you have to pass the SCREENING after leaving customs. That is true even for many inter-European flights (contrary to US/Canadian domestic transit zones). Reason? Bad, old-fashioned and outdated airport designs.

I stopped buying perfumes on flights to Europe in the airline's onboard duty-free shop, because even though they are supposed to have sealable duty-free bags that pass further screening, they don't. I wasn't aware of this, the first time I was found with 7 perfumes in my carry-on (result of duty free) which the next screening in Europe wanted to have removed. It took calls to a supervisor, showing my duty free on-board receipt and lots of conviction to be let in, with the words..."it's Christmas, so... but next time...". The next time I had to purchase a 10 Euro stuffed box to send the perfumes after checking it in at CDG. Virtually negating most of the savings.

At least in Europe, the AIRPORT duty free shops give you sealable bags which can be carried on through the screening points. Airlines are supposed to have the same bags but most of the time they don't.

I do not know whether DR duty free shops have sealable bags, and I do not know whether US/Canada allow them through the screening points. I know Europe does.

Feb 15, 2005
I'm not against re-entering or re-designing the customs system, just that SPIRIT may cost more than advertised because of it.

This post was just travelers thinking about taking SPIRIT with a stop over in FL, since 99% of their flights to DR have the same stop over.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Does the liquor count as your 1 items underseat for the flight from the DR to Florida? Or can I put the liquor and my underseat items both under the seat for free? As to why I'm flying Spirit is because even with the $20 item the fare roundtrip DR to US is
$237.

Feb 15, 2005
From DR to the US, you can carry in the liquor under seat (purchased in the Duty free areas). The issue is on stop overs to another US locations.

You cannot carry into the aduana (immigration) liquids as a carry on. You must either check in your liquor at the counter or purchase in the duty free areas.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
This is true, BUT, Spirit charges for every piece of luggage you check in, negating whatever savings you think you a realizing. I found their service to be inadequate and they charge for coffee, water and $5 sodas on the flights.

Where's the savings?
I always found the saving on SPIRIT buying tickets for $1 or $9 and paying the taxes to come to the DR...even with a couple of drinks in flight...just my .02

edm7583

May 29, 2007
This is hardly breaking news and has nothing to do with Spirit Airlines or Fort Lauderdale airport. The procedure is exactly the same at every port of entry into the U.S. and on every airline. You have to put your liquid duty free purchases in your checked bags when you arrive in the U.S. and collect your bags for customs inpection, then re check your baggage.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
So.... answer me this. On my return flight to the states, I'll leave santo domingo, fly to panama city, panama to san juan pr, san juan to new jersey and then home to ohio... so where will I clear customs? San Juan since that's the first "semi" patch of US land I hit? San Juan has duty free shops and I loaded up last time I was there. this time though I'm not sure where I should buy my cocktails.. And I usually buy enough to last until my next trip!

thanks for the info mike

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
So.... answer me this. On my return flight to the states, I'll leave santo domingo, fly to panama city, panama to san juan pr, san juan to new jersey and then home to ohio... so where will I clear customs? San Juan since that's the first "semi" patch of US land I hit? San Juan has duty free shops and I loaded up last time I was there. this time though I'm not sure where I should buy my cocktails.. And I usually buy enough to last until my next trip!

thanks for the info mike

Buy your duty free in san Juan and you should be ok as long as you stay in secured areas in New jersey. If you exit for a smoke and need to go back through security, your screwed, you will need to check the booze.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
anyone know?????????????

The post below is incorrect sorry, \
Buy your duty free in san Juan and you should be ok as long as you stay in secured areas in New jersey. If you exit for a smoke and need to go back through security, your screwed, you will need to check the booze.

Opps forgot, you can't buy duty free in San Juan as your next stop is still in the US, and your terminate point is in the US. You can only buy duty free if your next stop is outside the Country where you bought duty free. My bad,.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
oh ya, they do check your ticket right? I forgot about that.

1. I am using miles - and yes I'm on continental. But the only flight available using miles had me going that round about way. I've purchased boos in San Juan when only visiting San Juan as in. I stayed in San Juan and now going back to the mainland.

2. I quit smoking 2 years ago so I'm good to go. So I should buy boos in Panama or the DR or in SJU. That's a lot of **** to carry around. Last time I had 6 bottles plus my roller bag. I back hurt soooo bad. But those drinks were sooooooooooooooooo good!.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
BTW I live in Columbus, the government seat, not cleveland. 15th largest city in the US!

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
12 dollar difference between a bottle of absolute in teh duty free and a bottle bought here in my city.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
multiply that buy several bottles and we're talking about substantial savings. So, I guess it is settled. Buy my cocktails in the DR or Panama.