Punta Cana airport to Santo Domingo, after 3.30pm How?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have no clue about travel between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo, but I have managed to find myself a great priced flight into Punta Cana that will arrive around 3pm, obviousy not perfect but saving myself ?400. What's my options?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have no clue about travel between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo, but I have managed to find myself a great priced flight into Punta Cana that will arrive around 3pm, obviousy not perfect but saving myself ?400. What's my options?

Air Century

They fly from the domestic terminal at PUJ to Santo Domingo at 6pm (M-Th), 3pm (F) and 5pm (Sa, Su).

You can walk between terminals.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Brilliant, your a star, I am having trouble accessing the booking aptions on the link, is there something I should know about when trying to book with these online? Don't seem to beable to even access prices either.

Thanks

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Brilliant, your a star, I am having trouble accessing the booking aptions on the link, is there something I should know about when trying to book with these online? Don't seem to beable to even access prices either.

Thanks

That's because the prices change seasonally (or just because). The schedules are also subject to change. This is where I learned another lesson about how things work in the DR. I showed up for a 5pm flight from PUJ to Belaguer airport. Long story short, the flight took off at almost 9pm and rerouted (in flight) to SDQ.

It is a Dominican carrier and the best way to secure a ticket is to call or appear in person at the domestic terminal the prior day. They have Dominican pilots and Dominican agents and they fly the Dominican way. Bring a lunch.

The flight should be around $90(US) each way. They also offere day trips between these two destinations for <$100(US).

It was a very enjoyable flight and for 35 minutes you'll get to see the beauty of the DR's South coast from low altitude. Gorgeous.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

You can take a cab to Higuey and hop on a bus from there.

Maybe some poster here can tell exactly where in Higuey. The buses to SD are really cheap and would take around 4 to 5 hours to get to SD.

Just a thought.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I've just been speaking with a rep from the Century airline and the 6pm flight tickets are only $65, so seems like an easy decision.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I've just been speaking with a rep from the Century airline and the 6pm flight tickets are only $65, so seems like an easy decision.

That will be your best bet. The cab to Higuey will be around 30 to 35 USD and the bus will be around 12 to 15 USD.

The best thing is you save alot of time!!!!!!!!

Have fun. ;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You can take a cab to Higuey and hop on a bus from there.

Maybe some poster here can tell exactly where in Higuey. The buses to SD are really cheap and would take around 4 to 5 hours to get to SD.

Just a thought.

I've taken that bus ride(s).

It was fun. But that's because I only had a backpck and had an entire day to kill. On boarding I noticed plastic milk crates stacked on the luggage racks (???). Again, I learned a thing or two about the "Dominican Way". After all the seats filled up (halfway through the trip at stop #12) the driver would count the number of embarking travelers at each stop and place one milk crate in the aisle for each boarding passenger.

It was a big, comfortable bus (to Higuey) but the overmax capacity sucked all the air out of the bus making it necessary to open the windows. There's nothing like riding a bus with some complete stranger's head resting on your thigh (I'm not the touchy-feely type) and when we got to Higuey we got off the big bus and got onto a smaller bus (after awhile) which was small (think school bus), crowded, had no AC and smelled like a gym locker. An hour later we got to PUJ and prior to the taxi to the hotel I went to the domestic terminal and arranged the return flight a couple days later.

Having travelled both, I highly recommend the domestic flight.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007

Plus 30 us, from Santo Dom Airport to Santo Domingo vs public transportation.......30 us total:bunny::bunny::bunny:

E

engineerfg

you can't book this online. just show up the day of and you're good to go. it's very rustic the setup. once i paid double and had my own plane + pilot and nobody else (it was a very small plane). I did that because I didn't want to wait...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Plus 30 us, from Santo Dom Airport to Santo Domingo vs public transportation.......30 us total:bunny::bunny::bunny:

I've never been to the small airport in Santo Domingo before so not even sure where it is. I was under the impression it is closer to the smoke than LAS Americas

E

engineerfg

it's about 30 minutes away on a sunday. avoid rush hour times. it's north west.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And around US$45 in a taxi if you do not speak Dominican.
Nice, sleepy little airport but too far from the city.

And the airport is called either Balaguer, La Isabella or Higuero depending on what day it is. Why is that?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
35 minutes if you do not hit traffic. 1 hour if you do.
You can hassle the taxi guys and get them down to 1000 pesos if it is a slow day. I usually arrive on a plane with virtually nobody else so they are bored and looking for a fare to get them home to S.D.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Wikipedia is not always a good source of info it seems.
Isabella is not in the outskirts of the city - not if you consider the green fields that surround it as Santo Domingo outskirts.

Also, Bradford is "kilometers away" from Glasgow but I would not recommend you try to walk it.

But lookie here - it turns out that Higuero airport is, according to Google Earth, way closer to down town S.D. than SDQ.

Maybe it feels like the other way round because there is a decent road almost all the way from SDQ.
Bugger me!
That is a surprise.

Still, I allow at least an hour to get to La Isabella and only 30 mins to get to SDQ from Downtown S.D.

You learn something new everyday.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thats surprises me, as after looking at the map on this site of the airport it looks like it is only 10minutes drive into churchill and lincoln central area. And if I was to compare the journey from the two airports I'd put La Isabela easily inside SDQ and no where near the journey time. Depends also where you are heading to in town I suppose. I consider the bottom end of Lincoln my home zone, if I was heading to the other side of the water then I could add another 30 minutes to the journey easily.
So maybe we are both right in estimate if you infact live closer to the river than I do.
Just a thought!!

But saying as I'm still not sure where I'm heading at this moment as I still haven't found temp housing (aparthotel or something similar) it could be going anywhere at the moment.

Last edited: