DR Motoconchos should be replaced by electric/solar bicycles

P

poponlaburra

I was reading this article and wonder how well these solar/electric bicycles would work for the Dominican population. I think they will work great for our society, environmental wise cleaner, less expensive to operate, and lastly will give the person driving them a free workout. Could you imagine, loud and smokey motoconchos replaced by these clean bikes? I think some Dominican grassroots groups should initiate same campaign to promote these mode of transportation.

Club Activist's Coast-to-Coast Electric Bicycle Tour
On Earth Day, Sierra Club member Oliver Bock and acquaintances left Woodside, Calif., on electric bikes on a cross-country trip to Washington, D.C., where they met their congressional representative. Along the way they engaged with environmentalists, bicyclists, clean-energy activists, politicians, and media members to talk clean energy and transportation. They also blogged about the journey and posted pictures, which you can view here. Mr. Bock took a few minutes for a Q&A. (Photos courtesy Oliver Bock. Interview by Brian Foley.)

How long did you travel and when did you get there?

Over 3,000 miles. We got there June 20.

What did you talk about with your congressional representative?

Anna Eshoo is very concerned about green issues and sustainability. She's frustrated with trying to get what they passed last June passed in the Senate. She talked about trying to green Washington and the Mall area. And we talked about bike trails. D.C. has made strong commitments to bikes, but they don’t allow electric bicycles on bike paths. She said she would talk to (Department of Transportation head Ray) LaHood about possibly getting that changed.

Talk about electric bikes for those who don’t know about them.

There are two categories. There are ready-made bikes that typically have a torque sensor and axle that activates itself when you pedal. The motor doesn’t work if you don’t work. The other category, which is what we did, is a kit where you can buy a hub motor and wire it up. Those have throttles on them. And you pedal assist. Anytime we'd talk to anybody about electric bicycles they'd asked, "Do you charge the battery when you pedal?" It’s a legitimate question because you’re generating power with your legs. But the answer is not really. The pedaling makes the battery last longer. We were getting about 85 to 90 miles on a charge, which really surprised us. If we didn’t pedal at all, we’d get about half that. So our pedaling was enough to ease the burden on the battery.

We brought a solar panel on a support vehicle with us. But this wasn’t an off-the-grid project. I don’t think it was possible to do that. We charged using the grid. We camped a lot and found places that had power. We figured we used about 1/20th of the amount of electricity used for an electric car, just based on the weight difference. And then with pedal power it adds even more efficiency. It’s really insignificant how much energy we used.

The most surprising part of the ride was how much fun it was to ride an electric bicycle. You’re in a really comfortable position. There’s no stress on your back or neck. You’re sitting up looking around. It’s a wonderful way to see the world.

One thing I noticed is, when you drive across the country, you see a lot of wind farms. But you don’t see any signage about what they’re doing. When you drive across Kansas, there’s nothing to look at. And suddenly there are 100 2-MW turbines gracefully sweeping through the air. And I want to know some real information. Give me a sign with some numbers. So we’re going to look at what it’d require to get signage, kind of like what you see on freeways, similar to those signs you see that say, "This section of highway is cleaned by the Kiwanis Club."
Where was it the toughest to ride?

As any biker would agree, the biggest challenge is headwinds. Even with the motor, we had to work pretty hard. We hit some major dust storms. From Flagstaff to Window Rock (in Arizona) there was a dust storm that closed the interstate. The dust gets into everything. That was a day we portaged about 30 miles. It was too insane. Northwest New Mexico was even worse. Talking to people who live there, they said the wind and dust were never that bad. There’s desertification. It’s blowing over cropland that’s pretty marginal to start with. When you combine that with coal companies extracting water from the aquifer to make their coal slurries -- it’s amazing how everything’s interconnected with what’s going on.

Besides Rep. Eshoo, who were some of the people you met along the way?

Well, we attended events that ranged from showing up to bike shops and talking to them and customers about electric bikes to more sophisticated events. In Window Rock we had some exhibitors. It was elaborate. We had four or five newspaper articles. We had a couple of radio interviews that increased the curiosity. We met with a couple of mayors. The mayor of Flagstaff, Sara Presler, was completely delightful. She got on the electric bike. She was tentative at first. She ended up riding it for about 45 minutes. We also met the governor of Colorado. There was a group in Denver honoring Lester Brown and the governor was speaking there. Colorado is shooting for 30 percent renewable.

How was your message received? Any critics or unexpected responses?
Early on there were two older guys we were talking to. I started about global warming and immediately it turned from friendly into, "Oh, we don’t believe in that!"

Using the language of climate change has become political. So anyone critical of politics is going to look at the whole conversation as a political one and not science-based. So after that we chose to stay away from that language. What resonated was talking about green jobs, especially with the oil spill. We'd talk about the potential of wind and solar.

What did you take away from the trip?

Gratitude for the people we met who are really committed to this stuff. Some of these people could be making huge salaries. They’re very talented and bright. But for them that’s not what it’s about. They don’t have money. They just really care about what they do. One guy we met in Champaign -- his wife is ****ed off because he took out a loan to get an electric vehicle and everything he does is focused on trying to move sustainability forward. He’s an IT guy who works on the campus there. He was just very gracious. But he hosted us and showed us around and was really wonderful. That was the positive.

On a negative note, it was disappointing to see the health of the American population. Physical and mental. So many people are living on corn and sugar, a highly processed food diet. It’s hard to feel hopeful about where we’re going. Seeing a lot of that was a little discouraging.

Our next steps are doing some kind of publication and researching the stops we did on the way and flush out what these people are actually doing. We’re interested in connecting some of the people we met with each other. They don’t know each other but there is some sort of synergy going on out there and it’d be great to get some networking going.

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I am thinking of converting my scooter to diesel or propane...any recomendations?

P

poponlaburra

I am thinking of converting my scooter to diesel or propane...any recomendations?

A friend of a friend had done this together with other friends. Some of them I believe, had replaced the entire motor the others were venturing on a try and fail by just nchanging some parts. So it's doable!

May 29, 2006
Another possibility would be motos that run on propane. If they can fit a 20 pound canister where the gas tank is, it might catch on.

For electric based systems, you could use interchangible batteries charged either by solar or off the grid. You can't have a bike powered by a single panel...

P

poponlaburra

DR government needs to start paying more attention to the long run effects these polluting motoconchos have in the environment. Few years ago Puerto Plata city people almost suffocated with all the smoke in the air, it's getting better though!

Below is a great article on solar/electric bykes.....

Sanyo Completes Installation of Solar Parking Lots for Electric Bikes in Tokyo
by Michael Graham Richard, Ottawa, Canada

Muscles and Sun

Sanyo Electric has completed the installation of two solar parking lots in the Setagaya ward in Tokyo, Japan, and a third smaller solar parking is coming. The two big stations will each have 40 Eneloop electric bikes, and the small one 20. These will be available as "community bicycles" for local residents and visitors (kind of like regular bike-sharing, but no details on membership conditions yet).
Photo: Sanyo
Sanyo writes: "For each of the bicycle parking lots operated by the city of Setagaya at Keio Line Sakurajosui Station and Tokyu Den-en Toshi Line Sakurashinmachi Station, HIT solar panels (approximate 46m2, 7.56kW) are installed on the roof to generate sufficient power to recharge the batteries of a total of 100 "eneloop bike" units and illuminate the LED parking lot lights. [...]
By combining "HIT solar panels" with "lithium-ion battery systems", SANYO's Solar Parking Lot enables recharging the electric hybrid bicycles without any commercial power source, even at night or on a rainy day. The lithium-ion battery system also features AC power outlets that can be used to power external equipment during an emergency. In addition, the installed system incorporates a "DC charger." The "DC charger" enables photovoltaic energy generated and stored in DC (direct current) to be used directly and effectively without AC (alternative current) conversion. "
I think it would be a good idea to incorporate these kinds of e-bike charging stations with regular bike-sharing programs. Maybe you'd have a choice between a regular bike for short trips, and a e-bike for longer trips (maybe e-bikes would only be available to members who've made a bigger security deposit or something like that). Even without the solar panels, incorporating e-bikes in bike-share programs would reduce pollution by displacing car trips.

Solar Parking Lots for Electric Bikes in Tokyo : CleanTechnica

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DR government needs to start paying more attention to the long run effects these polluting motoconchos have in the environment.
By "doing something" do you mean take them off the road and ban polluting motos in favor of non-polluting motos?

Because if that'd the case you're condemning a couple of million Dominicans to not being able to transport themselves.

Motos cost roughly US$1000-$1500 and represent a HUGE investment for most Dominicans. A "clean" moto costs maybe twice that or more...and completely out of financial reach.

The same goes for smoke belching trucks. Ban them, and you ban the transportation of goods around the country and consumer prices quickly rise, meaning poor people can afford even less food and needs.

While I agree with your sentiments it's without understanding the Dominican economy. The "first world" definition of "Environmentalism" is the domain of the rich.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's a good idea but many "common" Dominicans are averse to riding a bicycle. In fact many would prefer to walk from what I've seen.

All in all, in spite of the "smoking" motos I think Dominicans air cleanliness and carbon footprint are less than that or no more than the equivalent size population in the US. I base this on the fact that many cars on the road typically have one passenger and a moto in the DR many times has more than one not to mention cars have 4 cylinders and up and a moto only one.

May 29, 2006
By "doing something" do you mean take them off the road and ban polluting motos in favor of non-polluting motos?

Because if that'd the case you're condemning a couple of million Dominicans to not being able to transport themselves.

Motos cost roughly US$1000-$1500 and represent a HUGE investment for most Dominicans. A "clean" moto costs maybe twice that or more...and completely out of financial reach.

The same goes for smoke belching trucks. Ban them, and you ban the transportation of goods around the country and consumer prices quickly rise, meaning poor people can afford even less food and needs.

While I agree with your sentiments it's without understanding the Dominican economy. The "first world" definition of "Environmentalism" is the domain of the rich.

Very good points which is why I'm hoping there is techonogy out there to convert existing bikes to propane at a reasonable cost. The cost savings on gas would hopefully offset the investment of the conversion and the owner could buy a bike then convert when he could afford it. Ideals only work when they make economic sense to the users. Having the government make such technologies affordable would be a good step and providing subsidized conversions for small trucks/cars to propane would make a lot of sense too.

There is a new thing at one of the stores here where they have some reserved parking for cars with low emissions ratings, but I can't say I'm very keen on it since as you point out, cars like Priuses are in the domain of the rich.

There is a vast middle ground between what there is and solar, which I have yet to see work on any scale. Phasing out two stroke bikes for four stroke would have a huge impact, for example, and with the economic growth that is happening, this should be feasible within a 5 or 10 year time frame.

As for smoke belching trucks, all they need to do is convert to biodiesel. With the price of petroleum-based fuels on the rise, this will soon be the cheaper fuel anyway. Used McDonald's fry oil will be worth just as much used as it is new...

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Very good points which is why I'm hoping there is techonogy out there to convert existing bikes to propane at a reasonable cost. The cost savings on gas would hopefully offset the investment of the conversion and the owner could buy a bike then convert when he could afford it. Ideals only work when they make economic sense to the users. Having the government make such technologies affordable would be a good step and providing subsidized conversions for small trucks/cars to propane would make a lot of sense too.
They could kill off two-strokes with little consumer effect (although I'd go out and buy a new Yamaha RX115 if they did, the most power-for-the-buck moterscoot out there; Chip has one.).

I doubt propane conversions would work.

First off nobody would want to do it except eco-greenie expats. They'd lose 20+% of their power....that's a huge loss on a small bike, not so huge on a 200hp SUV or 130hp Corolla). No self-respecting Dominican moto rider wants to lose that kind of power.

Secondly hauling fuel would be problematic. Tanks are large, heavy and would be exposed to significant, possible catastrophic damage. And propane availability is very limited. Many in the campo or outlying areas buy beer bottles of fuel from local roadside vendors, not the formal gasoline stations. Propane stations are few compared to gasoline distribution.

Thirdly, the gubmint just doesn't have the money. There are almost 2,000,000 motos in the DR. Even the cheapest conversion kit would be around $150 in parts alone with tank, hoses, regulator, and electronic bypasses. A simple camp stove tank, tank regulator adjustable by the knob and a hose punched between the airbox and carburetor-at a cost of $US40- would not only still be polluting, it would be an extreme safety hazard. You think the DR gubmint wants that kind of financial exposure, not to mention the safety of citizens?

Fourth, a propane conversion may not reduce emissions. I know they don't on a car conversion, they just change the exhaust gas mixture. propane conversions here are done because of cost, not emissions.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Good points Cobraboy. Propane on a moto would be unwieldy at best because of the weight of the tank coupled with reduced performance.

However, I would have suspected that propane burns cleaner than gasoline simply because propane is a less complex hydrocarbon than gasoline or diesel. This site at least claims propane is cleaner.

CleanFUEL USA

Comparison of Propane vs Methane (CNG)
Propane versus CNG
If you can obtain a proper stoichiometric ratio (precise optimum fuel/air ratio), perhaps. But to do that in an automobile requires individual fuel injectors for propane in addition to the gasoline fuel injectors, and a different computer using the normal inputs (air flow, throttle position, barometric pressure, fuel pressure, temperature, manifold pressure, exhaust gas oxygen, etc.)

If you don't have the exact fuel/air ration for ALL conditions then all propane does is create a different mixture of exhaust gases than gasoline. It is still considered pollution. Just less costly pollution.

Using a car for cost, the unfancy propane conversion, the cheapie, the one with a tube into the post air filter flow that depends on venturi pressure to regulate flow, the one that still pollutes much more than using gasoline in the same vehicle, runs around US$700 installed (2008 prices.) The system with individual fuel injectors, a piggy-back computer, etc., runs US$2500+. Granted, the expensive system is outstanding and pollutes less than the standard gasoline system in the same vehicle.

Folks don't convert to the cheapie system-the one in over 90% of propane conversions in the DR-to reduce pollution. It's done to reduce cost.

Additionally the non-polluting system requires electronic fuel injection. Very, very few motos out there have EFI, and those that do pollute very little and wouldn't need a propane conversion.

P

poponlaburra

Taking the motoconchos off the road completely? not! But phasin them out in planned stages, yes.
DR is making lots of progress in other areas and should consider advancement other areas of infrastructure and transportation.

As you can see, Dominicans are ashamed of using an outdated, dirt cheap, cellular, even if it is free. So, new technology will be embraced positively by the DR masses, they will be embarrassed as well with the outdated motoconchos.
On the belching trucks, well, just follow international smog laws, like in USA, very simple.
"Environmentalism" is not the domain of the rich, all the opposite. "Environmentalism was the mode of living of the 3rd world poor adopted but the first world rich.

P

poponlaburra

another motococho pollution, "noise pollution"

Another reason motochonchos should be scrutinized by the government and the environment department is for the worst pollution they produce, the "noise pollution".
Everyone talks and is aware of the smoke and emission pollution, but the SILENT THREAT OF NOISE POLLUTION IS WORST than the already mentioned one.
For this reason, electric/solar bikes are the best choice in general.
See below article.......

The Label Match-Up Program

Two key elements of the label match-up are contained in the federal regulations. They are noise emissions testing, and labeling. This applies to street9-1 (highway use), and off road9-2 (dirt bikes) motorcycles manufactured after December 31, 1982, which are for sale in the U.S.

The EPA chose not to enforce noise emissions standards (noise level testing) on motorcycles that are for competition use9-3 or export, and motorcycle exhaust systems that are for export, pre regulation motorcycles, and competition use. However they do require labeling for these exhaust systems9-4 and motorcycles9-5 as a means to identify and set what (export) and where (competition events) these exhaust systems are to be solely used for, and the type of motorcycle (pre regulation, or competition models) installed on.

Noise Emissions Testing
The EPA sets the maximum noise emissions levels9-6 by measurement under a strict scientifically derived testing procedure (SAE j331a)9-7 to recreate the vehicles' maximum noise levels while under heavy acceleration. This test represents what can be expected in actual real world use. Currently the maximum noise emissions are 80dba for street motorcycles. This current noise emissions limit (or cap) offers the minimum level of protection to the public.

Labeling
Once the motorcycle successfully passes the noise emissions test (J331a), two labels (one on the vehicle chassis, the other on the vehicle muffler) are required to be affixed in a "readily visible position" at the factory. Both these labels contain an identical model specific code 9-8 (along with other information) that is unique to the make and model of the motorcycle. The comparison of the model specific code between the two labels provide a way to "match up" the muffler to the motorcycle.

A regulated motorcycle that has an exhaust system installed without the correct label (i.e. competition use, pre regulation, export only, or no label at all) or has an exhaust system from a different make and model of motorcycle (un-matching model specific codes), is in violation of federal regulations and section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act (NCA).

The label match-up, quite simply, eliminates all ambiguity as to what is or isn't a suitable motorcycle muffler. It greatly lightens the burden on police, who normally would have to place a subjective value like "excessive" or "unusual" on motorcycle exhaust noise, by instead just requiring a simple visual check for the correct muffler label and model specific code. Enforcement is this easy. No sound level meters or special skills are required.

The first is the "motorcycle noise emissions control information label" affixed to the motorcycle chassis (as defined and required by 40 CFR205.158). This label includes the model year, a model specific code that only appears on an approved muffler designed for a specific vehicle, engine rpm during federal test procedure, the statement "this motorcycle meets EPA noise emissions requirements of either 83dba or 80dba" and a warning that "tampering" is in violation of federal law.

These two photos are from a 2003 Honda VTR 1000F "Super Hawk". Additional examples of match-up labels are included in Appendix I

The second is the "exhaust system noise emissions control information label" to be affixed on the quiet and tested muffler (as defined and required by 40CFR205.169a(1). This muffler label (in general) states that the exhaust system meets EPA noise emissions requirements and includes the manufacturer's name, noise emissions limit, and a unique model specific code (HOMMBB1000 in these photo examples) that only appears on a motorcycles "motorcycle noise emissions control information label" (previous photo) this exhaust system is designed for.

In practical use, label match-up is easier than it sounds. Since label match-up is an equipment requirement, enforcement "will not require the vehicle to be in operation or the driver to be present in order for a citation to be made9-9." Secondly, police will not need to compare model specific codes from either labels because when they stop or inspect the exhaust system of a loud motorcycle they will find:

a) The overwhelming majority of loud federally regulated (1983 and newer) motorcycles are equipped with illegal aftermarket exhaust systems that are completely void of federally required labeling. See Appendix II [LINK] for photo examples.

b) Less common are mufflers labeled for competition use motorcycles only. Photo of a competition use muffler installed on 2004 Harley Davidson FXR street use registered motorcycle. This muffler is currently legal for road use under our PA vehicle equipment statutes and inspection code.

c) The third type of illegal exhaust system are those that are correctly labeled but have been tampered with. By default, EPA approved exhaust systems are quiet. Therefore, if police stop a loud federally regulated motorcycle with the correct muffler label obviously someone tampered with it to increase its noise emissions. Included in Appendix I [LINK] are photos of some of the most common signs of tampering.

All of the above exhaust systems, when installed on a federally regulated motorcycle constitutes a violation of section 4909(a)2 of the NCA. In addition, the absence of a muffler label, is also a violation of section 4909(a)1 which is applicable to the manufacturers.

And lastly, trying to swap EPA approved mufflers from different makes and models is nearly impossible. Generally, motorcycle mufflers and exhaust systems are designed for a specific model. They are stylized to give the motorcycle a unique appearance. The muffler size and inlet location, as well as exhaust pipe size and mounting brackets are all individualized. Even if mufflers could be cross-installed from different models, the resulting noise increases (if any) would be negligible due to the high degree of technology built into these mufflers.

Reactions: rice&beans

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Green

Taking the motoconchos off the road completely? not! But phasin them out in planned stages, yes.
DR is making lots of progress in other areas and should consider advancement other areas of infrastructure and transportation.

As you can see, Dominicans are ashamed of using an outdated, dirt cheap, cellular, even if it is free. So, new technology will be embraced positively by the DR masses, they will be embarrassed as well with the outdated motoconchos.
On the belching trucks, well, just follow international smog laws, like in USA, very simple.
"Environmentalism" is not the domain of the rich, all the opposite. "Environmentalism was the mode of living of the 3rd world poor adopted but the first world rich.

Here..(DR).......It would be....IN THE BEGINING, but as time went on and the phasing out process was deemed a success...(or any other Green project), it would NOT be a "Domain Of The Rich"..............but we are really grasping with this changeover taking place any time soon, it's one thing... wearing helmets, enforcing seat belt rules, no talking on cell phones while driving.....blah, blah, blah....of course going Green is the way of the future, and I'm sure SOMETHING will be implemented..(as far as motoconchos)....but, while the infrastructure has come A LONG WAY in the past 30 years, I think the powers that be, should take some time and GET IT RIGHT....too much at stake......there is always SOME pain before progress, but this would PAIN a lot of people...........It WILL happen, it has to, (the technology IS there)..The HOW, WHEN.....well that's anyones guess.;);)

P

poponlaburra

It's a good idea but many "common" Dominicans are averse to riding a bicycle. In fact many would prefer to walk from what I've seen.

All in all, in spite of the "smoking" motos I think Dominicans air cleanliness and carbon footprint are less than that or no more than the equivalent size population in the US. I base this on the fact that many cars on the road typically have one passenger and a moto in the DR many times has more than one not to mention cars have 4 cylinders and up and a moto only one.

We need to look at this as a whole, motochonchos not only are polluting , but loud, that is another type of pollution as bad as air pollution.

The Chinese used and are still passenger bicycles witch are now very popular among many big cities thought USA and Europe.
Germany has been producing passenger bicycles that could accommodate 4 people comfortably, you can find few of these bicycles in the states, very easy to ride by the cyclist.

P

poponlaburra

Here..(DR).......It would be....IN THE BEGINING, but as time went on and the phasing out process was deemed a success...(or any other Green project), it would NOT be a "Domain Of The Rich"..............but we are really grasping with this changeover taking place any time soon, it's one thing... wearing helmets, enforcing seat belt rules, no talking on cell phones while driving.....blah, blah, blah....of course going Green is the way of the future, and I'm sure SOMETHING will be implemented..(as far as motoconchos)....but, while the infrastructure has come A LONG WAY in the past 30 years, I think the powers that be, should take some time and GET IT RIGHT....too much at stake......there is always SOME pain before progress, but this would PAIN a lot of people...........It WILL happen, it has to, (the technology IS there)..The HOW, WHEN.....well that's anyones guess.;);)

I agree...there has been lots of progress with wearing helmets, enforcing seat belt rules, no talking on cell phones while driving! So hopefully few years from now the pollution and noise level will be drastically reduce, or at least some laws implemented so when we visit some relatives we could sleep soundly:classic: