I need to replace a stolen cedula

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
I do not live in the D.R. and I have a lawyer in Santo Domingo working on my permanent residency card which he will send to me via FEDEX soon.

On Saturday night in my country of birth I had my wallet stolen and in the wallet was my D.R. temporary residency card and my cedula with a 2009 date on it. Fortunately it was my temporary residence card and my permanent one will be on its way soon to where I am right now. I was lucky about that.

If I contact my lawyer in Santo Domingo and ask him to include a cedula along with the permanent residence card is that unnecessary? Would I usually need to wait until 2011 to renew a 2009 Cedula?

I understand that there is a foreigners cedula office where Cedulas cost only RD$1200. Anyone know about this? If you were me, would you wait until the time when I go back to the D.R. and then replace the Cedula then? What if I came back in 2012 to get a replacement for a 2009 cedula? Would that work?

FORTUNATELY I HAVE A COLOR COPY OF MY 2009 CEDULA WHICH WAS STOLEN. WILL THAT HELP?

Please help me with your advice, Spartacus :rambo:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I do not live in the D.R. and I have a lawyer in Santo Domingo working on my permanent residency card

That is odd enough as it is. Is not residency for someone who lives here?

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010
No, the D.R. is one of the few countries in the world where you can work on residency and not live in the country for the majority of days in a year.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Oh, before I do step away. You shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement once in the country. For a native it takes hours and is free. For you I expect they will have some charge of some sort.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
steps to get the duplicate cedula

First you have to go to the National Police HQ and report the loss of the Cedula. They will give one letter called "Recepcion de denuncia". With this letter you have to go the Special office of the Junta Central for the foreigners. When you request them for the new cedula with the paymenyt of about 1500 pesos and the letter from PN, they will give you the duplicate cedula in no time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
As far as I know a 'replacement' for a stolen or lost cedula is not free of charge.

donP

You are correct, it is NOT free. Also as a previous poster mentioned a report from the police is required.

First you have to go to the National Police HQ and report the loss of the Cedula. They will give one letter called "Recepcion de denuncia". With this letter you have to go the Special office of the Junta Central for the foreigners. When you request them for the new cedula with the paymenyt of about 1500 pesos and the letter from PN, they will give you the duplicate cedula in no time.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
As far as I know a 'replacement' for a stolen or lost cedula is not free of charge.

donP

I know this to be the case as my Mrs lost hers a few month back. She was issued another FREE of charge and it was very quick, even by Dominican standards. (As far as I am aware she is not in any specific position to receive special treatment).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Before Elections

__ my Mrs lost hers a few month back. She was issued another FREE of charge and it was very quick, even by Dominican standards. (As far as I am aware she is not in any specific position to receive special treatment).

This must have been shortly before May, 16th... :bunny: :cheeky:

donP

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
"sanitize your wallet"

Word of advise; do not walk around with a wallet full of documents that are NOT needed in the daily course of life. Especially ones that are troublesome and/or costly to replace- "sanitize your wallet":ermm:

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
If your temporary residence has expired, the JCE will not renew or replace your cedula. I know this because I tried. Also when I applied for my permanant residency, I had to turn in my temporary residence card to immigration, and have to be present to take a photo for the permanant card,,, Is your lawyer legit or just sending you a fake residency??

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2010

If your temporary residence has expired, the JCE will not renew or replace your cedula. I know this because I tried. Also when I applied for my permanant residency, I had to turn in my temporary residence card to immigration, and have to be present to take a photo for the permanant card,,, Is your lawyer legit or just sending you a fake residency??

I checked him out before I used him and found him to be legitimate. Thanks for your concern.

Spartacus :rambo: