Expat communities ?

dk112099

Aug 10, 2010
Hello DR1 community,
This is my first post, so please be patient with me on etiquitte and consider the overall intentions of my question. My wife and I are from the central Pennsylvania region of the US. We are considering purchase of a 2BR condo of about 1000 sq/ft in a decent gated community near a beach for an investment today (rental most of the time) and then to perhaps permanently retire to in 2023 or sooner depending on some financial circumstances. The budget would be 125K - 175K US for purchase. We will be planning a couple of trips to survey areas in the next year. Under consideration generally is Las Terrenas, Semana, Puerto Plata, Costambar, Cabarete, and Bavaro. It would be nice to find an expat community in one of these areas such that our interests would be similar and we can find friends to enjoy these years with. We are looking for decent access to health care, groceries, basics of life, and a beautiful place to lay on the beach and watch the turquoise waters lap on the shore line. We want to earn acceptance into the DR one day and plan to learn Spanish and local customs, etc.. Would anyone have any thoughts on what may be a good match for our situation? Thank you in advance. :classic: Dan

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Actually Las Terrenas is not bad for health care except for highly specialsed medicine, even so the Capital is only two and a half hours away by car. Beware, however, gated communities are magnets for thieves, the dwellings usually have very little physical protection and the guards seem to be all too bribe-able. Yes there are a lot of french here, I speak french but manage very well not using it. These people who like gated communities and housing estates always make me think of a comment by Crocodile Dundee about the New Yorkers all liking each other!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
My wife and I are from northern NY State, near the Canadian border about 75 miles southeast of Montreal. We purchased a condo at Don Cesar Residencias, in Las Terrenas, about 4 years ago.You can check out Don Cesar on the Web. We had previously vacationed in many locations around the country. Las Terrenas has a large French population, along with many Italians, Germans, Dutch, Swiss, Americans, English and Dominicans. This heavy European influence allows many goods and services which you may not find in other parts and the DR. Also unlike Punta Cana or Bavaro , where there are many very large all inclusive resorts, Las Terrenas has a number of smaller more personalized hotels. There are also an abudance of local and European owned restaurants in town. You also have the choice of many and probably some of the best beaches in the country. You are about 2hrs.15mins from Las Americas Airport SD and about 45 min from El Catey International Airport ( located between Sanchez and Nagua).
Unfortunately no US flights come in there at this time but that may change in the not to distant future. Additionally once the new highway extends into Las Terrenas an additional 20-30 mins will be cut off the trip to Santo Domingo. You may finds areas of the country with pockets of ex-pats and supports groups but part of the experience is mixing with many cultures. Check out Las Terranas. Fly into Santo Domingo and drive to Las Terranas. I can recommend a few places to stay, Colibri, Allesi, Kari Beach Resort, Allegro Beach Res

dk112099

Aug 10, 2010
Great info....

Fantastic info.....thank you for all the posts so far. We appreciate the time each of you took to offer your advise and specifics of residence. We will certainly rent at each location we consider for as long as possible, and it may take us a couple of years to find our perfect spot. Keep the suggestions coming.....Dan

I would suggest Sosua or Caberrette for everything you are looking for in your above post. I would also suggest renting a place first to get a feel for each location and be very careful when buying a property in DR, BE VERY CAREFUL.
My thoughts on the other areas are

Bavaro is nice but is very spread out and caters more to all inclusive tourists so not so sure how a rental would work out because I see many cacant apts while driving around out there

Las Terrenas is very beautiful but remote from alot of things,Living out there it would help if you speak French or Italian.

Costambar is nice and quiet but I always hear of robberies in and around there(Hear about I have no personal knowledge) other than that it is a nice area and very close to Puerto Plata.

Puerto Plata has some very nice areas and is not as touristy as Costambar or Sosua and Caberette, I lived in Puerto Plata for 2 years and I really liked it there.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Infrastructure

Las Terrenas is very beautiful but remote from alot of things,Living out there it would help if you speak French or Italian.

Have you shopped at 'Lindo' supermarket lately?
Have you ever eaten a wholesome true Bavarian dish at "Schmankerl Stadl" (+ Bavarian beer, of course) ?
Have you been to Ralph's shop (German goodies) or "Punto Italiano" (good place to buy good Gorgonzola dulce)?

And: LT hardly ever has blackouts. :bunny:

So, no (longer) need to drive to SFdM or SD.

BTW, it would also help the French if they tried to learn some Spanish... :tired:

donP

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
My wife and I live just north of Pittsburgh, (originally from Philly). We recently purchased a condo in El Cortecito, (Punta Cana). Feel free to contact me privately and I'll share my thoughts and any information I can.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'd think hard before committing to a gated community. They sound great but in my experience you could find yourself entering into a little bubble world of micro politics, and then you are stuck with these people, forever.:paranoid:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Change for the Worse

gated community___ entering into a little bubble world of micro politics, and then you are stuck with these people, forever.:paranoid:
Or worse, because of the fluctuation in those communities.
So your friendly neighbour of today could be a noisy and unpleasant bastard tomorrow.

donP