Road POP-Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
heard that recent mudslides caused substantial damage to this highway.
any news when they expect it to be open/back to normal again?
what route should one take in the meantime traveling to SD - via nagua?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From POP or Sos?a you are probably better off going throught the tunnel.
From Cabarete you should go over the mountain to Moca
From Gaspar Hernandez or R?o San Juan go to Nagua and the new toll road...

Do not hold your breath for the Tourist Highway to be passable for anything less than a Jeep, mountain bike or four-wheeler....in the near to medium future..

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From POP or Sos?a you are probably better off going throught the tunnel.
From Cabarete you should go over the mountain to Moca
From Gaspar Hernandez or R?o San Juan go to Nagua and the new toll road...

Do not hold your breath for the Tourist Highway to be passable for anything less than a Jeep, mountain bike or four-wheeler....in the near to medium future..

HB

From Gasper Hernandez it would be a lot shorter and faster to take the Moca Road. It would take you two hours at least just to get to the airport in SD with the new toll road. Then you have to go up to Santiago from there. Even from Rio S. Juan I would say you are better off with the Moca Road.

Once you are off the Moca Road you are almost in Santiago.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
thanks for your thoughts.
the damaged 'tourist highway' would be the relatively good road which takes one from pop to santiago in about 1 hr?
my final destination is really san cristobal, to the west of SD.
i suspect if coming on the nagua highway, i'd have to cross SD - which i'd like to avoid at all cost.
many thanks in advance for any clarification you might be able to give!

I now always take the new toll highway when I absolutely have to be in the Capital in 3 hours or so from Sosua. Especially if you will be travelling to the airport or the eastern side of the city. If you plan on being on the west side of the Capital I would suggest the Jamao-Moca-Santo domingo route because you bypass Santiago completely.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
"Do not hold your breath for the Tourist Highway to be passable for anything less than a Jeep, mountain bike or four-wheeler....in the near to medium future.."

HB

HB, boy are you optomistic!

Bob K

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Last time, I went from Sosua (where I picked some folks up) to Santo Domingo taking the Sabaneta-Jamao-Moca-La Vega mountain road. we saved about 30 minutes over the averages recorded from POP to La Vega over the tunnel-Santiago route!

The Moca mountain road is in pretty good shape for most parts. But it IS windy and narrow at times and one will encounter a few of the usual idiots montaos en una jeepta muy vacana who think they are cool to pass others from behind a bent they can't possible see you coming around. So go S L O W , keep your high beams on during daylight and a hand on the horn (in these situations, I kind'a like to keep a truck or something in front of me... bumper extensions, you know... keeps them happy too... they're primero!)

... J-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.