Bachata Dancing!

chulita11

Aug 28, 2010
Hi! I am a salsera from SF, CA and am traveling to the DR for a week in September. I'll be in Santo Domingo by myself on Monday & Tuesday, and then at a resort in La Romana with my boyfriend (also a dancer) from Wednesday thru Sunday. I love Bachata! It has surpassed Salsa as my favorite dance! I love the music, the connection, everything... and I just can't visit it's birthplace without doing some delicious bachata dancing

I am wondering where are some good places to dance in both of these places. I'm also wondering how safe it is to go out dancing by myself in Santo Domingo. I've done a lot of traveling alone, but better safe than sorry. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Gracias!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Going out dancing alone might look a little daft as I only know bachata with a partner, beit as easy as it is you might beable to invent something to cover that void. You probably will get perceived of as a bit of a hussy if you go out with the intention of finding blokes to dance with. As far as places to go out dancing, my coverage only goes as far as the street and the Colmado in Santo Domingo.
Around Pto Plata area they have quite few dance clubs to choose from and some amazing dancers, sorry not to be of more help.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey chulita, your best bet is to go out on Monday and Tuesday as you will be 'by yourself' in la capital. There are a ton of places you can go to and find bachata to dance to your heart's [or feet's] content. Whereabouts in la capital are you staying at? And what kind of transportation will you have available? If you are anywhere near la Avenida Venezuela you will find clubs up and down the whole avenue for you to pick from and dance your butt off. Also, as already recommended, you can find colmados that will be playing music as well so just request bachata and I am sure they will oblige. Keep in mind curfew on Mon and Tues I believe is MIDNIGHT everywhere on this island so start early and make the most of your evenings.
Better yet, post where you will be [what neighborhood] and maybe people here can recommend some places nearby. :)

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Hey chulita, welcome!

I don't recommend going out dancing alone. Bachata is EVERYWHERE! I've seen people dance it everywhere... just whenever the mood strikes! As far as clubs, there are tonnes of them. What neighbourhood are you staying in? And what dates are you planning to be in Santo Domingo? I generally stick to Soberbio (mainly because it's walking distance). But often the wife and I will cab it into downtown for a change of venue. Cabs aren't too expensive. I'll be there from Sept 11 - 23. If your travel date coincides, feel free to message me privately as we'd be happy to have you along - there's always safety in numbers. Take care!