Big Narcotics Seizure and Arrest in Jarabacoa

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
:bunny::bunny:;););)Yeah, but that could happen anywhere....:bunny::bunny:;);):pirate::pirate:

And they seized 20US$ - I bet they bloody did!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It sure make for titillating reading but these types of drug seizures are less than a drop in the bucket to drug smugglers.

It is estimated that the growers and manufacturers of cocaine can afford to lose over 90% of their product and still turn a profit.

Announcements of this sort are meant to placate the public and press, to give the illusion that something is being done to combat narcotics, when in the end it amounts to nothing.

Reactions: waytogo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not familiar with the area they are talking about but Barrio Blanco in Jarabacoa has been infested with drugs and drug dealers for a few ears now. It is considered to be a place to avoid, especially at night.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It seems that the people in the Jarabacoa area are starting to like cocaine. I don't think it was a transit point.
Wouldn't that make a good warehousing place, somewhere kinda off the drug radar with few ways in?

It's kinda been a big shrug here. I'm not sure those popped were locals, nobody we know can tell who they are...and this is a town where everybody knows your business...

May 12, 2005
While you live there and I just visit far too often, I suppose that is possible, but I would not expect people to try to warehouse illegal drugs if they were meant for transit. I would expect keeping it in one place is the last thing they want to do unless it was for local consumption. That makes me think that finding such an amount is not good at all for that area if demand is growing to that level.

Ever hear of a safe house or drop house? This is most likely what that place was.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't disagree that it is a possibility. I am much more concerned if it is local demand that is growing.
Not that I'm aware. There are only 50-60,000 people here. That's a LOT of blow for a small population.

There is one neighborhood known for druggies and it's a small barrio.

I dunno. Frank's "safe house" suggestion makes sense.

That's not to say the entire island isn't "using" more than before, because they prolly are, unfortunately...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
This is a small town and like any small town it can have bigger secrets sometimes then bigger towns just because the "control" isn't there.

Don't forget that this is and alway's be a town which changes a lot during weekends and holiday's since there are many who have a second house here so they are not really inhabitants of this town neither are they mingling in, at least the majority of them is not, so its impossible for anybody who lives here to "know" everybody.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is a small town and like any small town it can have bigger secrets sometimes then bigger towns just because the "control" isn't there.
What??

Bigger secrets in a small Dominican town?

:cheeky:

Do you honestly think that the families who have lived here for 75 years and are pretty much the town fathers don't know what's going on?

Acira said:
Don't forget that this is and alway's be a town which changes a lot during weekends and holiday's since there are many who have a second house here so they are not really inhabitants of this town neither are they mingling in, at least the majority of them is not, so its impossible for anybody who lives here to "know" everybody.
Unless you're among the chronically unobservant.

Many of the folks with cabanas here BOUGHT their land and had their cabanas CONSTRUCTED by the local folks, the town fathers...so they are, in fact known.

Folks here know which businesses in the area are propped up by drug money. Which collapsed because of drug money (like my one time ATF Mexican restaurant, RIP.) Which bancas wash drug money. Which prestamos are funded with drug money. Which investment houses turn away suspected drug money.

Locals know who lives here and who doesn't. Outsiders, as you well know, stick out.

And nobody I've spoken with knows those who got popped or anything about them. Seems the locals think they are outsiders.

I'd like for bob saunders to offer his opinion. His wife is one of those deeply connected to the Jarabacoa grapevine, also.