Sharks, swimmable beaches & trash

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Regarding AB1's questions... regarding the shark situation in DR? my mum traveled to some Caribbean islands before and had some close encounters. Also, would you say theres a side (N/E/S/W etc) which is generally more calm? and swimmable? My mom also mentioned something about the tide brining in things like rubbish/logs etc (i think we experienced this in Florida). Any of that to avoid here? again thank you and soz for OT...just some of it is weather related...

Regarding which beaches are more swimmable...

On every coast of the DR there are beaches for surf and beaches for just wading. So regardless of where you decide to go, you will find an appropriate beach. There are more placid beaches than surfer beaches. We are far away from the Gulf, with currents going the other way, so the petroleum spill is not affecting us. Regarding trash.. it would be the exception, rather the rule to find garbage on tourist-frequented beaches that are kept clean by the hotels and tourism businesses (case of Cabarete restaurants, for example). Most of these are located in areas removed from large populations.
Re sharks... yes, they are here. But can't recall headlines of a shark attack here as one reads of Australia, for example. I know there are scuba diving groups that go out to see the sharks off Catalinita island.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I can't comment on all Beaches around the Island,
but here on the East Coast/so named Punta Cana area you can take the Thumb Rule that more northwards on our East shore you will find the rougher Beaches and more Southwards on the Map along the Eastshore you will find the calmer Beaches, some even during Storm approaches near dead calm.

great up to scale maps and descriptions of the different Beach Areas of the East Coast are found on www.puntacanatv.com

the Surfer's Paradise on the East Coast is Macao Beach where Rafael's Macao-Beach-Surf-Camp is located.
most of the Punta Cana Hotel Area is perfectly closed by a Barrier Reefline that keeps the big Sharks on the outer side of the Reefline.
Reef Sharks are of course found at the Passages, for example around the Shipwreck Astron in front of the nahia Principe resort,
in my 15 Years I never heard about any Incident or Attack by any Sharks on Humans in Punta Cana.
Yes,
on the outer side of the Reefline we reach deep waters quickly and have most known different big Sharks available, we sometimes Scum them Up just for Fun and Attacks on our beloved Tunas on the Hook are not seldom, the same for Bottom Fishers who receive regularly attacks of big Sharks on their Catches.

even with a closed Reefline in front of the Beaches of course our Tides and Swells provide the inshore waters and Beaches with woods, seaweed and trash of all kind, that's as natural for the Ocean as breathing for a Human is.
all resorts on the East clean up their beaches from that stuff early morning on daily bases, I am sure the Resorts on all other Coastlines of the Island do the same.

like Dolores wrote above correctly,
You will find a suitable rough and also a suitable calm Beach on all Coastlines of the Dominican Republic, because such conditions change from Bay to Bay, not just from Coast to Coast.

cheers
Mike