Santiago Zoo (video)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is a free santiago zoo open to everyone. Since it's free, we can't complain or expect a quality like zoo like we have in USA. Its on the way going to Camp David so when you cross over from the Texaco gasoline station, ask someone to guide you towards the zoo. Nice place to take the kids and spend the afternoon. Oh do take alone your picnic lunch goodies to eat there on tables.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmCws5Gkkao?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmCws5Gkkao?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That's not a zoo, that's someones back yard with a couple of exotic pets and a caged lion. Never in
My life seen such a species of cow, looks like a pig, cow, hippo x. Am so glad I saw santo Domingo and not there, pointless keeping animals like that if you can't home them properly and stimulate them. Cute duck though!

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
AZB:
Thank you for that great video and info.
Welcome back to DR1 ...
I missed your posts...;)
I am not sure, but I think I heard that Gutierrez family owns the zoo.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's a bit dangerous letting that "Lilliana" roam amongst the public.

Nice video. Amazing what's sometimes on your backdoor and you don't know it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's a bit dangerous letting that "Lilliana" roam amongst the public.

Nice video. Amazing what's sometimes on your backdoor and you don't know it.

That is continued in AZB's Sanky video!:bunny:

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One of my favorite clips of Dirty Jobs is him rounding up some ostriches. It looks stupidly dangerous.

YouTube - Dirty Jobs-Ostrich Farm

Speaking of Ostriches, they have the eggs on display and they are for sale. That would make one mean omelet for sure.

This place has been open for a few years and we go a couple of times a year as it is right around the corner and the girls love it. I do feel bad about some of the accomodations for the animals though.

May 29, 2006
They can make some pretty interesting carvings with the eggs. They are tough so the work can be very detailed and a nicely finished egg can go for $500 and up. The same guys do Emu eggs which are almost black, but are white under the surface:

Here is a carve lamp:
3099916510_cc1e6074c5.jpg

Emu Egg:
blocks1.jpg

amerikano

Feb 5, 2010
That's not a zoo, that's someones back yard with a couple of exotic pets and a caged lion. Never in
My life seen such a species of cow, looks like a pig, cow, hippo x. Am so glad I saw santo Domingo and not there, pointless keeping animals like that if you can't home them properly and stimulate them. Cute duck though!

thanks azb for this valuable information, great video. we will definitely visit this mini zoo next time around. will buy an ostrich egg and some fresh produce too.
as for properly homing the animals, i could'nt find anything wrong in taking care of them as they are, they look well fed, healty and clean. am sure they have a vet taking care of them.
by the way i could't notice any sighn of unstimulating these rare breeds unless golden Anastacio meant having them weathered controled in an airconditioned environment.

Last edited:

amerikano

Feb 5, 2010

thanks azb for this valuable information, great video. we will definitely visit this mini zoo next time around. will buy an ostrich egg and some fresh produce too.
as for properly homing the animals, i could'nt find anything wrong in taking care of them as they are, they look well fed, healty and clean. am sure they have a vet taking care of them.
by the way i could't notice any sighn of unstimulating these rare breeds unless golden Anastacio meant having them weathered controled in an airconditioned environment.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I agree, the animals seem like they are well fed and many large animals have ample room to roam freely. The lions and crocodile maybe confined to a small area but the rest are doing fine.
This thread is not about a corrupt diputado who stole money or abused his powers. Its about a free small private zoo which is open to general public everyday. many school kids come on school trip and enjoy a very entertaining afternoon there.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I agree, the animals seem like they are well fed and many large animals have ample room to roam freely. The lions and crocodile maybe confined to a small area but the rest are doing fine.
This thread is not about a corrupt diputado who stole money or abused his powers. Its about a free small private zoo which is open to general public everyday. many school kids come on school trip and enjoy a very entertaining afternoon there.
AZB

Not only that the consessions they sell are just as cheap in the local colmado. An ice cream is RD15.

I would like to see him charge RD5-10 for entry to put towards having better accomodations for the lion, etc.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
They can make some pretty interesting carvings with the eggs. They are tough so the work can be very detailed and a nicely finished egg can go for $500 and up. The same guys do Emu eggs which are almost black, but are white under the surface:

Here is a carve lamp:
3099916510_cc1e6074c5.jpg

Emu Egg:
blocks1.jpg

Thats amazing craftman ship! Are those eggs specially treated to be not to fragile?