Baggage limit of two to SDQ

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am cross posting here in the proper forum....

I just fly back from Boston via JETBLUE and was told that I could only have two bags at 50 pounds each plus a carry on

I could not pay for overweight above that (they only allow one bag so would have to pay for the second anyway)

They said this was a DR requirement -- not theirs.

Has anyone else gotten this one?

I know that lots of Dominicans are used to flying up with 5 empty suitcases...
perhaps this is in response to that

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i dont know the specifics but i think this might be just the airlines? i dont know about it being a DR requirement.
JetBlue SPECIFICALLY demands all bags to DR NOT to exceed 50 pounds, no exceptions.
Delta will let you pay for anything over 50 pounds, i dont think there is a maximum number of luggage pieces you are allowed to bring. you just have to pay lots to bring it with you.
i think this is just JETBLUE laying their law down....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am cross posting here in the proper forum....

I just fly back from Boston via JETBLUE and was told that I could only have two bags at 50 pounds each plus a carry on

I could not pay for overweight above that (they only allow one bag so would have to pay for the second anyway)

They said this was a DR requirement -- not theirs.

Has anyone else gotten this one?

I know that lots of Dominicans are used to flying up with 5 empty suitcases...
perhaps this is in response to that

I have had the same thing too. And, just like you, I had to cram some stuff from the overweight to the underweight suitcase.

I believe it is a JetBlue policy only solely applicable to the DR. I often fly with JetBlue and they are not as strict flying to other destinations.

Other airlines don't seem to have the same policy when it comes to DR (but I could be wrong).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
American Airlines allows 2 bags per person, 50 pounds each, plus a carry on, plus a personal item [backpack or purse] that total 40 pounds. You can bring an additional suitcase, 50 pounds, for $100 extra.

I'd rather ship a big box down for $75 because it has no weight restriction and is so much bigger.

AE

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I usually fly either Jet Blue or Continental to the DR.

The two bags only rule is Jet Blue, not the DR. Continental allows three seventy pound bags for those flying Business Class to the DR, so it cannot be a DR rule.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I believe the only DR rule...and it's still probably from the airlines, is a "black out period" for overweight luggage and boxes and other packages not included in their standard baggage allowance. It's in effect during the Christmas holidays and sometimes other occasions. Ive heard it's because the airlines make more money selling their cargo space to third party shippers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
now i am having to deal with the fact that the really sweet young lady at JetBlue must have LIED to me when she said it was a DR policy not theirs....

OH the heartache of yet another deception!

but she was very sweet and in the end did not charge me for the extra bag as she probably feared that i was going to have a melt down at the check out counter as i was teetering on the feathered edge a bit

i have not gotten this down after 5 years! I gave away my HUGE suitcase since it was always overweight -- then got a new one which is supposed to have this built in light meter that lights up at 50 lbs (NOT) -- but it was Delsey and very well rated......

but still too big....

and really - if there is room in the suitcase, I am going to pack another book!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Annie, after years of guestimating the weight of suitcases by balancing them on bathroom scales, or weighing ourselves with and without the suitcases, and getting to the airport and having to literally throw things out [wahhhhhh!].....

Last year I bought a digital luggage scale, paid about $10-15 for it, and it is so cool. It clips around the luggage handle, you turn it on and lift the suitcase and it gives you a precise weight. So we were able to shift things from case to case until they were all under 50#. Best gadget I ever bought, I think it was from HSN. Popped it into my carry on, and we used it coming home too - we had to pack 20 pounds of coffee somewhere!

AE

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I'd rather ship a big box down for $75 because it has no weight restriction and is so much bigger.
AE

I've read quite a bit about doing this, who do you ship through from the states and are there any import taxes, and what are the limitations on what is shippable without the D.R. hassling you...
You mention no weight restriction, is there a box size restriction?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've read quite a bit about doing this, who do you ship through from the states and are there any import taxes, and what are the limitations on what is shippable without the D.R. hassling you...
You mention no weight restriction, is there a box size restriction?

Hi waytogo. The shipping company gives you the box for free. It's pretty big. On the paperwork we put 'used clothes, etc.' and pack anything we want to in there. We've sent everything from pots and clothing to car mats, chainsaws and weed whackers. Like the USPS flat rate boxes, if it fits, it ships. The company delivers it directly to the door of the addressee. Only one time did someone accompany the delivery and ask my mother-in-law to open the box so they could see the contents, I guess they do random checks. No import taxes have ever been paid in the 30+ years that we have been doing this.

We have a lot of choices in the NY/NJ area - Montero Shipping, Embarque BellaVista are just two. The pick up all over the tri-state area, so I'm sure they all do that in other major east coast cities [Boston, Miami, Baltimore, etc]. I think they are all $75 for a box, three boxes for $200. You can also buy a big blue plastic tank [think similar to a 55 gallon drum] from them for $40, those are bigger, and cost $115 to ship. They hold more, are much sturdier if you have heavy items, and then we use them on our finca later to hold water at various places around the property.

All of them will also ship anything else you have. We shipped a stove down with them one year, and a large generator another time. Just got a quote of $75 to ship a cold/hot electric water cooler [for 5 gallon water bottles] with a small fridge at bottom that we would pack in our own box.

AE