How to protect from high voltage?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
On two occasions already we had high voltage enter our building; once because a wire touched some metal and just last weekend two wires touched each other on the pole outside. I have seen too many articles in the local papers about people being fried, and I have no plan on my daughter and I being the next victims.

So is there any way to protect the house, so that when high voltage enters it turns everything off or some alert?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You can install GFI sockets in the house which will trip when overload is present or a circuit breaker on the fuse panel connected post the lead-in to the houses electrical supply. Not expensive, but dont know if its available there, get one of them expat electrical engineers to ka-jigger you up sum-thin'.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two ways:

1) Install an inverter and tie all circuits through it. Make sure all the circuits are grounded to earth! Most homes and apartments in the DR are NOT grounded! It's easy and cheap!

2) Install a voltage regulator.

Both will act as a surge suppressor. But if they aren't grounded you have no protection.

You could plug everything into a surge suppressor, but some have high failure rates.

Remember: when the power goes out, it will eventually come back on. That's when your equipment is at risk.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......So is there any way to protect the house, so that when high voltage enters it turns everything off or some alert?

Not quite sure what you mean about high voltage entering the house. Do you mean a momentary electrical surge in voltage.

One of the best things you can do is free. Do a visual inspection of all electrical cords. Are any cords frayed or exposed wire showing? Check your electrical wall outlets. Are any wall outlets loose? Do you have to jiggle any plugs to make contact with the electrical wall outlet? Are all of your three prong plugs connected to a grounded three prong wall outlet?

Proper grounding is essential but depending on how the house was originally wired it can be costly to correct.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
google "Whole house surge protectors" The in panel ones where all the circuits run through a "suppressor" are cheap and effective. Grounding is so important for protection.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Not quite sure what you mean about high voltage entering the house. Do you mean a momentary electrical surge in voltage.

One of the best things you can do is free. Do a visual inspection of all electrical cords. Are any cords frayed or exposed wire showing? Check your electrical wall outlets. Are any wall outlets loose? Do you have to jiggle any plugs to make contact with the electrical wall outlet? Are all of your three prong plugs connected to a grounded three prong wall outlet?

Proper grounding is essential but depending on how the house was originally wired it can be costly to correct.

I mean 220 entering the house directly! My floor fan was moving around the room from the high speed. I have an invertor but know nothing about if the circuits are grounded.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I mean 220 entering the house directly! My floor fan was moving around the room from the high speed. I have an invertor but know nothing about if the circuits are grounded.
I didn't think you would understand the grounding part which is why I tried to keep it simple. To get some peace of mind please do a visual inspection as I mentioned. Some things should be obvious to you. Do you have any heavy duty appliances plugged into a skinny little extension cord? Any knicks or cuts in the insulation on your lamp cords where you can see bare copper.

I did get a little chuckle trying to imagine your floor fan running around the house on high speed. Sure the fan just wasn't dancing a bit of bachata. Just kidding with you.

In all honesty if your floor fan did get 220volts directly the fan motor would have burned out and you would have seen plenty of smoke and smelled something like tar burning.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Assuming your service is arial do a visual on it to make sure the insulation is intact, could be shorting wires..........get a reputable electrician to look at everything................hahaha

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
You must have a VOLTAGE REGULATOR!! Spikes will blow out the surge protectors. You really need to inquire who is the pro in your area and pay him. Even though your home may be concrete, the smoke from these fires will kill.