Tips regarding new restaurants in Cabarete-Sosua and surrounding area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Ww will be going back to Cabarete and surrounding areas in few weeks. Any new restaurants in the area? What do you suggest? I still have in mind the great table at the Taverna Bavaria north of Gaspar Hernandez. Best crab I've tasted on the island.

We are also planning to rent a car and travel to SD, which itinerary do you suggest?

Thank you and have a great afternoon

Reactions: Bronxboy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
#1 suggestion: Get med evac insurance and insurance for the Casa del Chofer....
#2 suggestion: Make sure you have personal injury insurance.

Okay, North of Gaspar Hernandez is the Atlantic Ocean??? Maybe East or West.

Travel to Santo Domingo. What the he!! for??? Dangling participle be d@mned!!

With the construction going on, traffic in Santo Domingo would test the patience of a saint!! Wait until your next trip.

Go to Santiago, see Centro Leon, tour the Monumento, see the Mercado Modelo, eat at the Pez Dorado. It is a "real" Dominican City.

Go have some Bon Ice Cream or Hagan D?z....dine at Chile's or TGIF..

Sleep at one of the nice hotels in the area...

But don't go to Santo Domingo now...it suks, big time because of traffic and construction.

You need help in Santiago, you got half a dozen good folks to help you out...

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I was in the capital today and can say, yes, the traffic jams from the metro construction really are ugly and does try one's patience. I'd rather be sitting in a dentist's chair; not fun. But sometimes SDQ is the only place to make the world go 'round here and seems to be the center of the universe sometimes. So glad to be back to the north coast, mi pueblito.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Some new places:

Nikki Beach is open now...great ambience, service and people...food is isn't on par with the service, but they have an awesome wine tasting on Wednesdays...definitely worth checking out.

Kahuna's also on the main beach......great US-style sports bar with decent food and good drink specials - try the whole fish...best dish on the menu...

Bocatta Pizza - main street center of town...ultra-thin crust pizzas, very reasonable.

French Cafe (not the name) in the Hotel Kaoba plaza...great place for an reasonably priced French "gourmet" lunch...no ambience but excellent food

El Rincon Goloso in the Media Luna Plaza...also no ambience (tables practically in the parking lot) but the food is great, plentifully, and about the cheapest in Cabarete...breakfast and lunch...also have homemade Belgian chocolates.

Calen's Cafe at Kite Beach - GREAT wraps, tacos, burgers, soups, sandwiches right on the beach...all fresh and homemade...and reasonable.

Maraja...next to Viva Wyndham...been there awhile but if you haven't been there, it's worth a try, gourmet Italian on the ocean...

Chez Arsenio - Hideaway Beach... Tues, Wed, Thurs 200 pesos dinners...beautiful location with good food - great deal...

Also been around a while but worth checking out for something different:
7:36 in ProCab- private home/restaurant open to the public Thursdays and Saturdays
Blue Moon and Castle Club in Los Brazos - on the "road to moca"
Cafetta, La Cumbre, El Molino - top of the mountain also on the road to moca.

In Sosua:
Casa 21 - B&B with great food and service, just outside of downtown Sosua
Scotch & Sirloin...I've heard the food and service has really stepped up...they have good dinner specials.
Al Porto at Sosua Ocean Village...upscale restaurant with great food and ambience
Im sure there's other new places in Sosua, but I haven't checked them out yet...

As for the SD trip...I agree with HB and TFlea...the traffic and distance are hardly worth it. If you do go, I suggest taking the bus...and use taxis while you are there. It *is* an amazing place....and can make an excellent overnight/weekend trip - stay somewhere in the Colonial Zone and you'll barely need a taxi...

But if you do rent a car, go to Santiago instead, as HB suggested...or a day trip to Playa Grande - excellent fresh seafood right on the beach, or an overnight/weekend in Samana/Las Galeras/Las Terrenas...or head west to La Isabella, Luperon, Punta Rucia and/or Montecristi...

Reactions: mike l and appleman

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
RE: some new places

Thanks David,

I'm printing your post so I have a reference for our trip later this year. It is valuable to have local input so we don't waste a lot of time on "trial and error".

bob

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
My two favorite restaurants in Sosua as of this moment:
1. The Italian restaurant (Hostaria?) right beside Britannnia restaurant
Only place in town you can get decent steamed veggies at a reasonable price...

2. Orchidee (near Rockies)

Breakfast.....Rockies is best
Only place you get FREE coffee refills and the service is very fast in the morning...:knockedou

at night forget about it...I waited an HOUR to get my order of ribs...never eating supper there again....:mad:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Some new places:

Nikki Beach is open now...great ambience, service and people...food is isn't on par with the service, but they have an awesome wine tasting on Wednesdays...definitely worth checking out.

Kahuna's also on the main beach......great US-style sports bar with decent food and good drink specials - try the whole fish...best dish on the menu...

Bocatta Pizza - main street center of town...ultra-thin crust pizzas, very reasonable.

French Cafe (not the name) in the Hotel Kaoba plaza...great place for an reasonably priced French "gourmet" lunch...no ambience but excellent food

El Rincon Goloso in the Media Luna Plaza...also no ambience (tables practically in the parking lot) but the food is great, plentifully, and about the cheapest in Cabarete...breakfast and lunch...also have homemade Belgian chocolates.

Calen's Cafe at Kite Beach - GREAT wraps, tacos, burgers, soups, sandwiches right on the beach...all fresh and homemade...and reasonable.

Maraja...next to Viva Wyndham...been there awhile but if you haven't been there, it's worth a try, gourmet Italian on the ocean...

Chez Arsenio - Hideaway Beach... Tues, Wed, Thurs 200 pesos dinners...beautiful location with good food - great deal...

Also been around a while but worth checking out for something different:
7:36 in ProCab- private home/restaurant open to the public Thursdays and Saturdays
Blue Moon and Castle Club in Los Brazos - on the "road to moca"
Cafetta, La Cumbre, El Molino - top of the mountain also on the road to moca.

In Sosua:
Casa 21 - B&B with great food and service, just outside of downtown Sosua
Scotch & Sirloin...I've heard the food and service has really stepped up...they have good dinner specials.
Al Porto at Sosua Ocean Village...upscale restaurant with great food and ambience
Im sure there's other new places in Sosua, but I haven't checked them out yet...

As for the SD trip...I agree with HB and TFlea...the traffic and distance are hardly worth it. If you do go, I suggest taking the bus...and use taxis while you are there. It *is* an amazing place....and can make an excellent overnight/weekend trip - stay somewhere in the Colonial Zone and you'll barely need a taxi...

But if you do rent a car, go to Santiago instead, as HB suggested...or a day trip to Playa Grande - excellent fresh seafood right on the beach, or an overnight/weekend in Samana/Las Galeras/Las Terrenas...or head west to La Isabella, Luperon, Punta Rucia and/or Montecristi...

Not sure if that is still open as its for sale?
Kahuna's is a great place to hang around, staff is well under control, very strict management there ;)
Wine tasting at Nikki's is already on our agenda as the prices are very reasonable considering that wine and cheese can be really expensive in the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
El Cultivo is a new restaurant on the main street of Sosua that appears to be about ready to open. It is the former house of Luis Hess, the 100+ year Jewish immigrant that died not to long ago.

They are going all out to make this an interesting and attractive restaurant. The grounds are fixed up to resemble a scene in the campo.

I very much hope the restaurant is successful so that other restaurants and businesses will be encouraged to take pains to make their place look special.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's the main street of Sosua, Pedro Clisante. I don't know who is doing the restaurant, but they are certainly making an effort to make the grounds very interesting.

Supporting businesses that make Sosua more interesting to quality tourists is something those of us interested in a better Sosua can co.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Fellow threaders are there any good spanish/portuguese restaurants in sosua or puerto plata???

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is a spanish place in sosua called gaudis - no idea what it serves or quality, someone else must know (it says something about tapas )

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
there is a spanish place in sosua called gaudis - no idea what it serves or quality, someone else must know (it says something about tapas )

Hope they open again. The food and service was fine in my book. I've always enjoyed tapas,

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, I deleted a bunch of posts...

If you are going to make accusations against a business, you need to back it up with proof and post your full contact details.

The subject ends here, unless any of you plan to step up and post the info.

Carry on...

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
DavidZ, can I add to your list?
- the German restaurant that is down the little side street just before Bozo's Liquor store (I'm totally illiterate in German, so the name is just impossible for me)
- Los Locos De Enfrente, the Swiss restaurant on Callejon de la Loma ... best burgers in Cabarete, and great prices!
(I would put in a shameless plug for my own place here, if I didn't suspect it was against forum rules!)

CLEGALBAP

Mar 24, 2006
clegalbap

having driven for many years from bavaro up and thru rio san juan i say catch the bus metro is probably the best caribe tour goes the most places when you get to your destination city or town you can rent a car there or catch a taxi less wear and tear and safer the buses are about $10 pp or less to major towns whereas rental cars are about $100 or more a day including gas keep your eyes open and get a good map

Reactions: LaLouve
Status
Not open for further replies.