Villa Altagracia to San Cristobal

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I will be traveling from Constanza to Palenque and thought I would take Rt 505 off Autopista Duarte from Altagracia(Madrigal) to San Cristobal to avoid the trafic in and around the capital. Does anyone know if that road is good enough to make that route a good idea? I got some information that parts of it were in disrepair but that information is fairy old and possibly unreliable. Thanks for any help.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
If that is the road that passes through Caobal, La
Cuchilla etc. I took it yesterday and it was in excellent shape up until the last 15% or so. Took me roughly 40 minutes, and was a visually pleasing drive, lots of mango trees, cotton trees in bloom....By comparison I returned by traditional route and it took me an hour or so (as well as 2 tolls ;) ). All in all it has a definite rough spell at the end, but I would take that route again on my next travel.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Great Information

Thanks for the quick reply Redscot. I could not ask for a more current update than yesterday! You description of the road is similar to the older report I got. I will take the road and enjoy the drive and take it slow for those last few miles. Thanks again.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We take that route when touring tothe SW. It's a jewel of a road and goes by the Caves in El Pomier and the La Toma water park, both before you go into San Cristobal....which in not the nicest area of the island.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We take that route when touring tothe SW. It's a jewel of a road and goes by the Caves in El Pomier and the La Toma water park, both before you go into San Cristobal....which in not the nicest area of the island.

Yeah, but once you pass La Toma, and just as you enter into San Cristobal on the main street, there is a place on the left that makes the best chicharrones, worth a stop!! It's set back, behind a tall iron fence, in something similar to a little strip mall.

AE

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah, but once you pass La Toma, and just as you enter into San Cristobal on the main street, there is a place on the left that makes the best chicharrones, worth a stop!! It's set back, behind a tall iron fence, in something similar to a little strip mall.

AE
Mmmmm...chicharones...Might be worth a stop with 10 motersickels...

Thanks for the tip. Any other landmarks you can think of?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mmmmm...chicharones...Might be worth a stop with 10 motersickels...

Thanks for the tip. Any other landmarks you can think of?

By landmarks, you mean food stops? Hmm.... at the end of the same main road into San Cristobal, maybe a mile further past the chicharrones, are a bunch of pollo al carbon places, but nothing special.

If you drive through Playa Najayo on your way to the SW, immediately after you pass the little bridge on the sharp curve [about a mile or two before Playa Najayo] there are ladies selling "cookies" on the right side. We ALWAYS stop and buy them. They're called "masitas", they're fresh and warm, cooked right there in an open stone oven, 5 pesos each, and they're delicious. One cookie is so big it's like a meal. [We like the regular ones, they also have coconut cookies that I don't like]. These are some local recipe and we've been told that they're not made anywhere else in DR.

AE