Caribe tours to Cabarete

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
I was looking at Caribe Tours bus schedule( not sure if it is a current schedule). I didn't see Cabarete on the schedule. Do they stop in Cabarete?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are taxis waiting at the caribe tours stop in Sosua. They will charge 300-500 pesos for the ride to Cabarete. You can catch a guagua (public bus) for 35 pesos, you can also take a publico (car) but I think you'd have to change cars a little farther up in Sosua (in front of the METRO bus stop).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are taxis waiting at the caribe tours stop in Sosua. They will charge 300-500 pesos for the ride to Cabarete. You can catch a guagua (public bus) for 35 pesos, you can also take a publico (car) but I think you'd have to change cars a little farther up in Sosua (in front of the METRO bus stop).

The guagua from Caribe Tours is about RD$20, not RD$35, and the publico is about RD$25. The problem with them, for somebody traveling with luggage, is that they don't take you to your hotel unless the entrance is on the highway. In that case, they will drop you off on the highway and you can take your luggage from there to the hotel entrance.

But you need to tell them where you want to get off. They may not know the hotel by its name.

The publicos with the blue box on the top go from Caribe Tours to Cabarete

Especially if you have luggage, you are better off taking a taxi.

Reactions: DavidZ

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks for clarifying Ken. You can tell how often I take Public Transportation these days. I thought the guaguas and publicos had gone up a few times since the last time I took it...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for clarifying Ken. You can tell how often I take Public Transportation these days. I thought the guaguas and publicos had gone up a few times since the last time I took it...

I don't have a car. so it is either walk or public transportation.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hi Ken2,
Ellie & I will be back at our apartment in Sosua next Saturday and we plan on exploring eastwards from Sosua to Cabarete this time. In the past (when heading westwards) we have flagged the guagua down at the bottom of the Tradewinds road and paid RD$30 each to the Iberostar area and RD$40 each to Puerto Plata. When we hop onto the guagua to Cabarete am I ok to give the conductor RD$30 each for a 1 way trip to Cabarete? I don't want to underpay nor be seen as an overpaying gringo. Just asking as the prices were supposed to be going up because of the fuel price increase.
Thanks in advance.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Ken2,
Ellie & I will be back at our apartment in Sosua next Saturday and we plan on exploring eastwards from Sosua to Cabarete this time. In the past (when heading westwards) we have flagged the guagua down at the bottom of the Tradewinds road and paid RD$30 each to the Iberostar area and RD$40 each to Puerto Plata. When we hop onto the guagua to Cabarete am I ok to give the conductor RD$30 each for a 1 way trip to Cabarete? I don't want to underpay nor be seen as an overpaying gringo. Just asking as the prices were supposed to be going up because of the fuel price increase.
Thanks in advance.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

It has been about 10 days since I last took a publico, so don't know if rates have gone up during past week. But if I were you, I would not give more than RD$20 per person each way. If it were me, I would give RD$15, what I have been paying to go to Cabarete on the guagua, or RD$20 on the publico.

But if you want to be safe, figure RD$20 each for guagua and RD$25 each for publico. That should cover you if there has been a price increase that I have not heard about.

Plan to go to Cabarete myself this weekend and POP on Tuesday, so I will be uptodate on current prices in a couple of days.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
It has been about 10 days since I last took a publico, so don't know if rates have gone up during past week. But if I were you, I would not give more than RD$20 per person each way. If it were me, I would give RD$15, what I have been paying to go to Cabarete on the guagua, or RD$20 on the publico.

But if you want to be safe, figure RD$20 each for guagua and RD$25 each for publico. That should cover you if there has been a price increase that I have not heard about.

Plan to go to Cabarete myself this weekend and POP on Tuesday, so I will be uptodate on current prices in a couple of days.
Thanks Ken,
Look forward to hearing the cost

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Ken,
Look forward to hearing the cost

To Cabarete from Sosua by guagua, RD$15. By publico with blue box on top, RD$20

Since those rates have not changed recently, I'm sure Sosua to Puerto Plata in the publicos with the red box on top is still RD$40. I'm sure the guagua is less, but not sure how much less. Certainly no more than RD$30

Reactions: Tamborista