When to getting Involved

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I was in a public taxi to just coming back from Monte Plata. The driver must have hit this other guys bumper. The driver of the other vehicle jumped out of his car pulled a very large nickle plated gun out started to shout allot of word I could not understand ( My Spanish is not good when speaking fast ). I was sitting behind the driver, when the guy started to throwing and landing punches on the face and head of the driver of the car I was sitting in, I immediately moved to the other side and out of the door ( keeping the gun in my sight, which was by the side of the assailant). Since The assailant was not pointing the gun I saw no need to pull mine, and since I did not understand what was being said, I did not let anyone know I was packing. The other driver (very peeve I might add) then started stomping the car hood of the public taxi. AMET came talked and that was the end. The driver of my car continued to take me home ( although very angry). Was I right not to get involved, or should I have taken a more proactive stance?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep...best walk away. You were lucky the driver must not have been armed (they usually are) and you weren't caught in the middle of a shootout.

The other guy was probably very pi$$ed because taxi drivers normally have no or unusable insurance, so if you are hit by one of them you are out of luck collecting any kind of money to repair your vehicle.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
OK DIRTY HARRY, you should have ran away, not walked away..

And why would you get involved in a problem that was not yours?

Do you understand that if you decided to play hero and used your weapon, that both of those drivers would have probably turned on you..

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Surely you know the answer to this without asking. Why invite others problems. And why are you on the street with a loaded gun if you don't even understand what people are talking about. Again this gun thing? I am surprised we don't have more expats shot for being idiots.
No singling anyone out here, just that from the questions on here involving guns it strikes me that most shouldn't be carrying them in the first place. The main reason being that no one seems to know when they should or shouldn't be using them.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
imagine if you had drawn the gun, there could have been three dead bodies.....as it is everyone walked away........so there you go

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Smart move to walk away no need to get involved that's between the two drivers. Before you act think about yourself, your best interests, and your family and certain consequences that may arise from heroic foolishness especially in a foreign country!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do you understand that if you decided to play hero and used your weapon, that both of those drivers would have probably turned on you..

Say what? Give me a break this ain't Iraq or Afghanistan.

OP, better to not get involved, at the end of the day is a life worth more than the alternative.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The problem is, you can be in the cab chillin' like this-

246v2g2.jpg

And then next thing you know, if you decide to also draw your weapon for no reason, the situation could wind up like this-

1pz5a9.jpg

This is what happens when you walk around with a gun. Sometimes, instead of walking away from a situation, having the gun will make you think "But what if I pulled it out..." when the reality is, if you are a third party to the dispute and it is none of your business, without the gun your choice would have been a no-brainer.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Who is the guy in the back seat, Looks like Mister Pink!

he's changed his name to nooky now and is hiding in the new series
boardwalk empire

Reactions: Tamborista

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I was in a public taxi to just coming back from Monte Plata. The driver must have hit this other guys bumper. The driver of the other vehicle jumped out of his car pulled a very large nickle plated gun out started to shout allot of word I could not understand ( My Spanish is not good when speaking fast ). I was sitting behind the driver, when the guy started to throwing and landing punches on the face and head of the driver of the car I was sitting in, I immediately moved to the other side and out of the door ( keeping the gun in my sight, which was by the side of the assailant). Since The assailant was not pointing the gun I saw no need to pull mine, and since I did not understand what was being said, I did not let anyone know I was packing. The other driver (very peeve I might add) then started stomping the car hood of the public taxi. AMET came talked and that was the end. The driver of my car continued to take me home ( although very angry). Was I right not to get involved, or should I have taken a more proactive stance?

Your reaction was the correct one, no question, but if the other driver (maldito animal) had tried to pull his gun I would advice to pull yours and cock it just in case.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
Surely you know the answer to this without asking. Why invite others problems. And why are you on the street with a loaded gun if you don't even understand what people are talking about. Again this gun thing? I am surprised we don't have more expats shot for being idiots.
No singling anyone out here, just that from the questions on here involving guns it strikes me that most shouldn't be carrying them in the first place. The main reason being that no one seems to know when they should or shouldn't be using them.

I did as any reasonable rational person ( I thought ) would done. Assess the situation 1- Gun being displayed, 2- Gun not being trained on anyone, 3- assault taken place without gun and gun pointed at the ground. There was a need for alarm, but for drawing my weapon ( all in a matter of seconds ). Moreover, I carry my gun for protection and my ability or lack of to know the current language fluently does not factor in my legal rights to protect myself. In any language if you see a person coming towards you, looking menacing at you, carrying, displaying, pointing, and aiming at you, that is an international language I think most people would know.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
And if you have your weapon out you have more chance of someone coming at you thinking of you as a threat. I will promise you that this is not the US, we rarely have mad people running into schools or office buildings shooting ip innocent people because a welfare cheque didn't clear or some punk lost his job at the post office (random examples). If you are a normal stand up law abiding citizen I see no reason anyone would approach you in public in the middle of the day with intention of shooting you, sorry unless you are involved in naughty things then I can't get my head around it at all. You also openly admit you can't understand the language, you could do very easily misread a situation and end up in jail for murder.
What do you really believe are the odds that you will come to harm should you not have a gun on you? Seriously, if this is of concern then maybe rethink your lifestyle rather than running around with guns in a foreign country, and a country that I'd imagine is not the nicest place to serve time.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I did as any reasonable rational person ( I thought ) would done. Assess the situation 1- Gun being displayed, 2- Gun not being trained on anyone, 3- assault taken place without gun and gun pointed at the ground. There was a need for alarm, but for drawing my weapon ( all in a matter of seconds ). Moreover, I carry my gun for protection and my ability or lack of to know the current language fluently does not factor in my legal rights to protect myself. In any language if you see a person coming towards you, looking menacing at you, carrying, displaying, pointing, and aiming at you, that is an international language I think most people would know.

I wonder how you got a gun here? Are there no legal licensing requirements with which you had to comply? Did you bring it with you? Can you travel around the world with your gun?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder how you got a gun here? Are there no legal licensing requirements with which you had to comply? Did you bring it with you? Can you travel around the world with your gun?

Guns are easy to get in DR Annie. Sometimes I think every Jose, Luis and Juan has one. Not legally of course, that costs quite a pretty penny. Last trip one of my husband's cousins called us to say he was bringing a handgun over for my husband to use while we were there. Like he was lending us a ladder. My husband didn't accept the gun, he said he didn't want to end up in a Dominican jail. Here at home he owns several guns and pistols, all legal and registered, but things are different there.

I wonder how all those guns get into DR - I'm thinking some of them probably arrive mixed into those boxes and tanques shipped from the US.

AE

Reactions: mountainannie